Calatrava’s dynamic designs integrate technology and aesthetics producing structural forms that challenge traditional practice in both architecture and engineering.He is an organic architect who finds his inspiration in the human body and in nature and, because of his background in both architecture and engineering, he has learned to combine sculptural concepts with technology to create designs that are both visually striking and structurally daring."To me, there are two overriding principles to be found in nature which are most appropriate for building; one is the optimal use of material, the other the capacity of organisms to change shape, to grow, and to move."
1. ORLEANS BRIDGE,FRANCE SANTIAGO CALATRAVA 1996-2000 INCLINED ARCH BRIDGE
2. NMIMS-BSSA BRIDGES_ORLEANS BRIDGE SANTIAGO CALATRAVAINCLINED ARCH BRIDGE BY CALATRAVA OVER THE RIVER LOIRE ORLEANS, FRANCETHE ARCH IS INCLINED INWARDS AT ANGLE OF 68 DEGREESLOCATED ON ONE SIDE OF BRIDGE DECK & AS TALL AS 8 FLOORS(25 M)
3. NMIMS-BSSA BRIDGES_ORLEANS BRIDGE SANTIAGO CALATRAVATWO CONCRETE TRIPODS OF THREE INCLINED BRANCHES SUPPORT THE CENTRAL ARCH SPAN.THE TRIPOD REPRESENTS THREE FINGERS OF THE HAND AS NATURAL EXTENSION OF ARCH.THE OPTIMAL USE OF SUPPORT HELPS ONE OBSERVE A PERFECT OVAL ON THE WATER.
5. NMIMS-BSSA BRIDGES_ORLEANS BRIDGE SANTIAGO CALATRAVATHE DECK IS ASSYMMERTRICAL AND CURVED FROM BOTTOMTHE DECK REPRESENTS A SHIP’S HULL AND THEARCH REPRESENTS MAST OF THE BOATTHE DEPTH OF THE BOX GIRDER IS 3.25 MTHE WIDTH IS MAXIMUM AT THE CENTRE
6. NMIMS-BSSA BRIDGES_ORLEANS BRIDGE SANTIAGO CALATRAVAEACH TRIPOD HAS ONE FINGER ALONG :(BLUE) THE VISUAL CONTINUATION OF THE ARCH COMPRESSIVE FORCES FROM ARCH(RED) IN THE SAME PLANE SUPPORTING THE SPAN OF ARCH(ORANGE) THE THIRD SUPPORTS THE WIDTH OF THE DECK
7. NMIMS-BSSA BRIDGES_ORLEANS BRIDGE SANTIAGO CALATRAVATWO SERIES OF 28 CABLES IN A REVERSED V-FORM SUSPEND THE BRIDGETHE HANGERS STABLIZE THE ARCH AND DISTRIBUTE THE FORCE CREATED BY THEINCLINATION,ON THE DECK.THE CABLES ARE PLACED EVERY 4.2 M IN THE PLANE OF ARCHTHE CABLES HAVE A DIA OF 5.5 CM &THE ONES CONNECTING THE EXTERIOR SIDE HAVE A DIA OF 3.6 CM