James Walter Thompson
(28 October 1847 – 16 October 1928)
About James WalterThompson
• James Walter Thompson was the
namesake of the JWT advertising
agency and a pioneer of many
• In 1864, William James Carlton
started selling advertising space in
• The agency was called Carlton and
Smith, although almost nothing is
known about the Smith partner.
• Carlton hired Thompson as a
• Eventually Thompson found that
soliciting and sales were much
• Thompson bought the agency for
$500 and renamed it J. Walter
• Thompson hired writers and
artists to form the first known
creative department in an
• He is credited as the "father of
modern magazine advertising" in
1864-founded by William James
1877-Carlton's company was
renamed by James Walter
1987-acquired by WPP Group
2005-agency was "relaunched" by
dropping the name J. Walter
Thompson in exchange for JWT
JWT claims to be the first to,
• build the first full-service advertising agency
• create the first international network. Its London office
opened in 1899.
• pioneer ad careers for women.
• create the first-ever testimonial ad (it was for Pond's
Cold Cream), in 1925.
• invent the grilled cheese sandwich for its client Kraft n
• produce the first-ever TV commercial in 1939.
• create the first advertisement in Second Life (Ford
• be the first agency to create its own television Christmas
“ultimate goal is to embrace
the empowered consumer -
one who can opt out of
on the web and download
music anytime - and entice
him or her to spend time
with its clients' brands
through big media-neutral
• Market research
• Total branding
JWT positions Kotak Securities as
undisputable leader in brokerages
• Kotak Securities has unveiled its new
marketing campaign to reinforce its
positioning in the broking space.
• The new campaign titled 'Koi debate?'
targets investors in the age group of 25-
60 years and attempts at creating the
aura of an unchallenged brokerage
leader for Kotak Securities.
• JWT has rolled out a television
JWT buys 51% stake in Hungama
• JWT has acquired a 51% stake in
• The new entity called Hungama Digital
Services will be a full-service digital
agency, specializing in digital
marketing and social media solutions.
JWT India Awarded Cannes
JWT has been awarded the Grand Prix in
the direct category at the Cannes Lions
International Advertising Festival, the most
prestigious annual advertising award
The hallmark award recognizes JWT India
for "Lead India," a campaign developed for
the Times of India.
JWT Continues to Pioneer With
• WT Puerto Rico has been awarded the
prestigious Grand Prix Lion for Public
Relations (Cannes Lions International)
• The honor recognizes JWT Puerto Rico for
Banco Popular’s “Most Popular Song”
campaign and marks the first-ever Grand Prix
award for Puerto Rico.
(Unemployment is a global crisis)
PUBLIC UTILITY AND SERVICE
Sulekha.com & Famous
House of Animation salute
the ancient & fading art,
Orissa, India, by adapting it
for creating an awareness
ad for sulekha.com.
•Sulekha.com, is a
search/multi utility portal. It
The longest tennis match ever. /
When John Isner beat Nicolas Mahut
70 – 68 at Wimbledon in 2010, in the
longest tennis match ever, JWT saw
a tactical opportunity around this
historic event that would perfectly suit
the Kit-Kat brand, which is all about
having a break.
Nestlé - Polo
• Polo, the mint with the hole. / JWT Paris
• Double-sided press ad with a hole (to
Johnson & Johnson - Reach
• JWT Brazil
Instead of use a functional approach, JWT
adopted a funny mood to express the Reach
dental floss catching kinds of meat that very
often get stuck between teeth.