Transcript of "SFSU ISYS 363-1 Fall 2013-group: Brewers"
State SFSU ISYS 363-Fall 2013
Section 01 Brewers
Tools & Features
– Video Conferencing
– Mobile networking
– Online file
– Education enriching
– Social Media Websites
Features to Expect
– File Sharing ability
– Business and team
– Educational Benefit
– File Sharing Capabilities
– Reliable Accessibility
– User Friendliness
Criteria, Concerns, Market Leaders
• Criteria: The ability of the web application to meet expected features and incorporate
• Concerns: Even though many programs boast increased social connections
and educational opportunities, but along with these increased benefits are
risks such as the threat to privacy, lack of security, offline accessibility, and
• Market Leaders
– Google Drive: Enables File sharing and group collaboration software
– Skype Calls & Messaging: Internationally used video, talk, or chat communication
program with over 600 million users.
– WeChat: Networking: Mobile communication app boasting over 784 million users.
– Google plus : Social media program with superior privacy
– Ilearn: Educational website incorporating team meeting opportunities and online
assignment and enrichment tools.
• Personal Yet Professional: . Once they are
connected you can engage with them to
speak on the business opportunities on a
professional level that excludes distractions
that other software may include.
• Creates Community: it allows you to join
different communities or even create your
own communities that share the same
interests as you. Within these
communities, you have the option to share
videos and photos, host video chats, start
events , etc.
• Ease of Use: Like many different
applications of Google, Google+ is very user
friendly and straight forward. The new
addition to Google+ is the navigation ribbon
that enables the users to access every part
of Google+ on every page they turn to
without worrying about getting lost.
• Accessibility: as long as you have an
internet connection you have access to
Google+. There is mobile accessibility at all
times while you’re on the go and you can
automatically back up pictures, videos and
video chats by your phone.
• Need Internet Connection: As any internet
based website, a connection is necessary
to connect with others as well as anything
that has been posted like pictures and
videos. It cannot be individually used as
normal software that you can open up on a
computer without internet.
• Not as Commonly Used: Google+ is second
in line to Facebook as a social networker.
Though Google has a more professional
context within itself, compared to a social
networker like Facebook it is second to it.
Facebook has over 800 million users
compared to Google+ with 90 million.
Granted Facebook has been around
longer, so who knows in time Google+ may
take the lead.
Ilearn as a Collaboration Tool
• Simple user friendly tool that
integrates faculty and students
• Every time there is a new post
on the Forum students get a
• Being able to edit your post in
a forum for a few minutes
after it’s been posted
• Being able to upload various
types of files
• Not the most clear, organizational
tool for checking deadlines on
• Time consuming, having to scroll
all the way down to the current
week to see an assignment and
• Time consuming, attempting to
find specific information on
assignments, since organization is
• Having to sign in repeatedly, since
passwords are not saved and it
times out quickly if left idle
• Sometimes has maintenance time
frames where it cannot be used
• Public/Private Access to Files
From Anywhere online
• Files and Applications Are Not
• Ability to maintain
reasonability for your own
account and determining who
can gain access to the files
• Innovative online group word
documents, spreadsheets, and
• Trusting another company to
keep your documents secure –
if Google docs discontinues
their service or undergoes
maintenance, files could be
temporarily inaccessible or
• Can only access files if you
have an internet
• Does not support full software
suite options (such as
complete format editing) of a
dedicated desktop office suite
• Face to face communication allows
for both business and personal voice
chatting, instant messaging, and
• Easy to install on multiple platforms
and clients. It is also compatible with
most network safety measures.
• Low cost calling from computers to
basic landlines or mobile phones.
• Easy to use user interface, allowing
for tidy organization and access of
• Available on both mobile clients such
as phones and tablets, and
• Lacks end to end package quality
• Cost money for premium
services, voice mail, and
• High broadband usage (not
accessible to low bandwidth
• WeChat has many users. An estimated 784
million people use it.
• While using Group Chat one can add up to 40
people to one conversation while the main
competitor, WhatsApp only allows 30. The
Look Around option lets the user find others
in the same general area. This could be
beneficial in a business environment, for
example in a meeting.
• The Hold To Talk allows the user to record a
message and send it. This aspect interests
users in China a lot because it takes a long
time to type out the Chinese characters.
Sending a voice message is a much easier ,
faster and personable to communicate.
• Web WeChat is a really helpful feature. The
messaging of WeChat can also be accessed
from the web. This is beneficial for people
that spend a lot of time at the office, near a
computer. Being able to message from a
computer also opens up an easier way to
share important information.
• 86% of its users are in China. The
overwhelming number of 784 million is
highly dependent upon the Chinese public.
• Using WeChat also implies that most
individuals have smart phones. Those with
more basic phones wont be a part of the
• WeChat is a communication tool as well as a
social tool. People send voice messages to
strangers and shake their phones
simultaneously to meet each other.
• Exclusively available on smart phones
leaving people without a smart phone no
access to the program.
• The winners are
– Skype is Widely used and easy to use software for face to
face communication, when it is not possible to meet
– Ilearn automatically adds students to the class and creates
a space where teachers, classmates, and group members
can easily communicate and share files with each other.
– Google Drive allows different formats of documents to be
uploaded, viewed ,and edited by either public or private
parties. Furthermore, it provides an update history to
keep track of individual changes and participation.
investing--in-a-google-plus-business-page/300792 By: Leslie Whittaker
• http://news.yahoo.com/google-plus-social-network-tweaked-ease-175445260.html “Google Plus
social network tweaked for ease of use”
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.