● Women represent just 2% of FLOSS contributors
● More than 25% in proprietary
● Slight > in proportion of women since 2000
- European FLOSSPOLS Survey, 2002-2005
Famous Women in FLOSS
● Mitchell Baker – Head & Chairperson of
Mozilla Foundation, Chairperson Mozilla
● Satoko Takita – Chairman Mozilla Japan
● Ubuntu Women, GNOME Women, PHP
Women, DrupalChix, Linuxchix, Debian
What about Mozilla?
● Mozilla now has WoMoz!
● WHAT? meeting point open to all, where
women can meet other FLOSS contributors (ML,
IRC, wiki, blog)
● GOAL? Help contribute to FLOSS & Mozilla:
localization, events, QA, evangelism, community
● Technical appearance of FLOSS projects
– Sexist jokes
– Repeated flirting
– Stereotyped approach of their skills
● Communities mainly composed of men
Why a «women's» project?
● Products are the reflection of those who created
● Too many men = reflects in outcome of created
products (Web + software)
● Because we want the Web and computing to be
more open & more representative of entire
● How can we encourage more women to
participate in FLOSS projects?
● Do you (especially women) feel something
should be done about this subject?
● How can we help women integrate this
predominantly male world?
● In your opinion, what is missing for a larger
participation of women in FLOSS & Mozilla?
Come and join us on womoz.org!!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.