next section is ALL about YOU. Q- how many of you know gates core values? Q -how many of you think you know your own personal values? in next 20 min. will 1 look at values in context of happiness at work & culture i 2 do exercise to reveal your true values 3 and give you famework to use values as too, building block to immediately build more happiness and culture around you
[alarm] Anyone know what that is? How many of you heard that this morn?
alarm- that was a wake up call for tony 15 years ago hit the snooze button 7x one morning-- clear didn’t want to go to work at own co if he was feeling this way at own co, how did others in the company feel- yikes, how unhappy are my employees!? realized that his culture kinda sucked. felt so strong, he sold the co (to microsoft where those emp assimilated to a GOOD culture) culture & happiness were THAT IMP , began journey to zappos, where happiness became the bz model, and culture #1 priority how many of you are pressing the snooze btn? …. why? for tony was bc unhappy at work…know we all want happiness, so….
what can you do individually to build happiness around you at work? not fluff but real happiness, the kind that can…. bring best self to work unlock potential of yourself, each other, customers serve higher purpose at work change the world lay off the snooze [theme: Human Promise; unlocking the potential of ourselves, each other and our customers]
why hitting snooze? For tony was unhappy at work– how create more happiness? I know fluffy not kumbaya happiness hot dogs on Friday, kind of happiness that allows you to: Culture. Build happiness at work with culture. bring best self to work - allows emp’s to bring it : their whole selves, their best selves unlock potential of yourself, each other, customers – science tells us happiness opens up minds & opps, create great experiences for other emp’s - for customer - parthers serve higher purpose at work - path to harness passion purpose and potential change the world - culture becomes platform to support profound work, global scale lay off the snooze how Zappos grew to $2B co in 10 yrs, selling shoes on line, right through recession > with a culture that supported emp happiness > emp’s happy & attracted best emp’s > made cust happy >co successful
but that’s big topic only have 20mins, drill it down to a key, foundational element of culture VALUES = building block of culture & happiness = create ground rules for culture sustainable happiness at work, like jenn talked about, starts with knowing our values
values def internal human compass -- point us in right direction, sense self, clarity, purpose sustainable happiness (yes can have that at work!) deeply dependent on living our values quotes to get the idea of values churning …
… recognize these? def, used in similar way .. - compass for org – guide decision beyond any one leader, fluctuations in economy – gives stability & strength - help define collective character or when lived can define culture - attract and bond like minded people – strengthening mission & ability to impact Q- how many of you have seen decisions made at gates based on one of these values?
put all tog, in context of happiness happiness and culture starts with your values & culture – micro-climate indiv micro-climates make up weather system, WE, org, core values… weather system part of atmosphere, community & partners *culture co- owned, zappos says everybody’s bz *the more your values align stronger culture will be - you’ll have better exp of work, perform better, partnerships & org as whole becomes stronger, ability to impact world grows
here’s what can happen as strengthen that alignment of values & build culture & happiness good for YOU (burnout, retention, innovation) good for GATES (productivity, sales)
bc most ppl think they know, but don’t think about them much.. ie ask someone know values, say, yes, fam is value, yet they work 60 hs wk miss dinner most nights… another value actually in effect but not these values- forget these - this part all about you 10 mins, need pen
first step ex take pause to make sure this all about you- for it to matter has to come from you know all co-workers here, org values and culture present so hit pause, turn off the internal to do list, shed what you THINK your values are or should be [pass out exercise]
A. Below are 33words & phrases that are possible core values. Go down the list and tick the box according to how important each are to you today. Don’t think, just follow your instinct.
B. Flip page over - List your top 10. Start with those you checked off as very imp, then imp…
C. Now we’ve assigned #s to your top 10..Start with box on top go through circle the value in each box you would prioritize as more imp to you today.
D. Count how many times you circled each of the values represented in the grid?
Who was surprised? last- How do how you LIVE these values? Write a behavior or an action or ritual your values show up in, go for daily examples if can
turn to neighbor & share: - top 3 values - how you live that value, where its present in daily actions, rituals, behaviors Who can share how do you LIVE one of your values? (book) who wants to celebrate their buddy’s value? – give book away! (book)
Remember this? happiness at work about alignment of me to we.. .. You are microclimate of culture in your org
let’s put your personal values into perspective of org values = collection of individual values = weather system some you saying oh no my values differ, what’s that mean! ok, all here bc on some level align with org values ok if differ, personal values don’t have to be the same. tony’s aren’t . key= look for alignment ie value is family saying how’s that fit into these? ie align for you may be to see org as family. or apply same spirit of collaboration & optimism with fam, so those easy to bring to work.. [realize broader discussion, values- hope open door on convo, so bring more of yourself to work, increase happiness] ie when I first took this exer, I thought knew values- integrity & family. But came up freedom & friendship. Changed my approach to work.. changed how I approached projects to bring more of myself to them, helped me be happier at work by incorporating and aligning them to my org’s values, and helped me build little authentic culture around me. Understanding my personal values helped me be happier and more successful at work by making few adjustments, like building more friendships with the people I worked with most.
buddy-up, use personal values as a building bloc to happiness goal find alignment personal values & org values, ways to bring personal values into work turn to buddy, pick one of your personal values & share how you can live it at work. go for daily ex’s!
let’s review happiness at work built through culture >you are your own microclimate of culture, culture is co-owned and everybody’s bz values your building block, tool to build culture & happiness at work
one more idea.. not some big initiative. small daily actions to live and align with our values culture alignment is when ppl of an org all living their values on daily basis
started w an alarm clock- when yours goes off tomorrow, what will you do to create more happiness at work?
end this with a dare - to live your personal values on a daily basis bc in end it will help you …..
2. TAKE A MOMENT TOTHINK…WHAT AREYOUR GOALSIN LIFE?
3. WHAT IS YOUR GOAL INLIFE?
4. • “WHEN I GET _____, I’LL BE HAPPY”• “WHEN I ACHIEVE _____, I’LL BE HAPPY”• LOTTERY WINNERS• TERMINALLY INJURED OR DISABLEDOUR BRAINS AREHARDWIRED TOSEEK HAPPINESS.YET WE’RESUPERBAD ATPREDICTINGWHAT CANSUSTAIN IT.
5. REFLECTIONHOW DIDI GETHERE?WHY AM I SO PASSIONATEABOUT HAPPINESS?
7. “PEOPLE WILL FORGET WHATYOU SAID, PEOPLE WILL FORGETWHAT YOU DID, BUT PEOPLEWILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOUMADE THEMFEEL.”— MAYA ANGELOU
8. CULTUR#1 PRIORITY?
9. RESEARCH SHOWSWHAT MAKESLONG-TERM SUSTAINABLEBRANDSCULTURE ANDHIGHER PURPOSE
10. CULTURE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE$2B* COMPANY1999 – TODAY‘01 ‘02 ‘06‘03 ‘04 ‘05 ‘07‘00 ‘08GrossSales$MM$1,000800600400200NOV ‘09 AMAZON ACQUIRES ZAPPOS$1.2 BILLION***GROSS MERCHANDISE SALES**SHARE VALUE AT THE TIME OF CLOSING
11. BEST WORKPLACESVS. S&P 500GREAT PLACE TO WORK/FORTUNE MAGAZINE, 2010
12. AN EXPERIMENT INHAPPINESS AS ABUSINESS MODELLESSONS LEARNED:1.COMMITMENT2.CORE VALUES3.TRANSPARENCY4.VISION5.RELATIONSHIPS6.THE RIGHT TEAMAND CAN THEY BEAPPLIED TO YOU?HOW ?
13. SOME FRAMEWORKSLEARNED ALONG THE WAY…WHAT DOES THESCIENCE OF HAPPINESSHAVE TO TELL US?SOME DATA AND FRAMEWORKSLEARNED ALONG THE WAY…
14. HAPPINESS FRAMEWORK 1LEVERS OF HAPPINESS
15. LABORDAY 2009FIRST…THERE WAS ABOOK
16. I CANBE ACMP!
17. THEN,THE BUS TOUR…
18. THEN THERE WAS A BUSTOURFIRST…THERE WAS ABOOK
19. WE HEARD FROM AROUND THEWORLDUNIFIEDBY THESAMEVISIONNO MATTER WHAT•BACKGROUND•CULTURE•IDEAS•JOBHAPPINESS
20. NOW…THE MOVEMENTTO SPREAD AND INSPIREHAPPINESS IN THE WORLDSCIENTIFIC SENSEBUSINESS SENSEHUMAN SENSE
21. HOW? The 3 C’s.
23. HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEWJAN-FEB 2012 ISSUEHAPPINESS in theWORKPLACESALES 37%PRODUCTIVITY31%ACCURACY 19%CREATIVITY300%______________________________________TURNOVERENGAGEMENTCREATIVITYPROFITS
24. WHATMATTERS ISALIGNMENTANDCOMMITMENT
25. HOW CAN WE HELP?FOR:QUESTIONSCULTURE BOOKCOPY OF THE PRESENTATIONJENN@DELIVERINGHAPPINESS.COMJOIN THE MOVEMENTDELIVERINGHAPPINESS.COMFACEBOOK.COM/DELIVERINGHAPPINESSTWITTER | @DHMOVEMENT | @DHMOVEMENTCEO
26. •BE TRUE TO OUR WEIRD SELVES•LIVE OUR VALUES, PASSIONS ANDPURPOSE•PRIORITIZE FOR LASTING,SUSTAINABLE HAPPINESSIMAGINE…
27. THANK YOU!THEN DO.
28. ValuesThe Building Block of Happiness at Work
29. [now, this is all about YOU]
30. [now, this is all about YOU]
31. QHow can you create more happiness atwork?bring best self to workunlock potential of yourself, each other, customersserve higher purposechange the worldlay off the snooze
32. bring best self to workunlock potential of yourself, each other, customersserve higher purposechange the worldlay off the snoozeAHow can you create more happiness atwork?Culture.
33. ACulture?Values.building block of culture & happiness at workHow can you create more happiness atwork?
34. Personal Valuescore beliefs which guide decisions, daily behaviors andcharacterinternal compasssustainable happiness starts hereIt’s not hard to make decisions,once you know your values.- Roy DisneyOnce I know my why, thehow’s quickly fall into place.- Dan Clark
35. Organizational Valuescollective values of the orgcompass for orgdefine collective character
36. starts with meculture is co-ownedalignment of values = stronger cultureHappiness at Work
38. [let’s do a personal values exercise]
39. [let’s do a personal values exercise]
45. share your top 3 personal valuesand one way that you live each of them.[ let’s buddy up ;]
46. org values = collective values
47. [ let’s buddy up again ;]discuss with buddy one way you can bring your personalvalues into work (daily)
48. [let’s review]Happiness at workCultureValuesbuilding blockyour tool to create happiness & culture
49. dailyvalues become culture as they are lived…daily towards the big mission
50. end with a darelive your values on daily basisbring best self to workunlock potential of yourself, each other, customersserve higher purposechange the worldlay off the snooze