1. Research Strategy & Learning Log g gStudent: Gagyeong SeoInstitution: RavensbourneProgram: MDes Design ManagementUnit: Cultural and Contextual Design Studies
2. Research Topic• Topic: A study on the application of ‘the third space’ design for brand marketing• Introduction: Commercial space is a medium, which is designed to connect merchandisers to their consumers. In most cases the space design is purely focused on its main commercial functionality as a retail store i.e., offering a physical location to exchange goods for money store, i e to generate a business profit. Nowadays, this sole focus of space design on sales activity is diminishing. The overall concept of a commercial space ( p p (store) has become wider and more complicated resulting ) p g in new challenges and opportunities for its design. Through the past decades of keen competition between brands, consumers have become more conscious of brand’s activities to seduce them to buy their products, and now they are more tempted through the underlying brand values. To reach out to the customer, brands are starting to put a greater value on the meaning of space shifting away from its primary usage as retail space and to design their brand space to transport the brand message, and thereby connecting the customer directly with the brand. This phenomenon of enhancing the utilization of design in the creation of space is known as the creation of “the third place". This research focuses on the design of the third space, where the design creates a brand space that does not directly reveal the product but creates a space where the not obvious becomes obvious, and how design is used to convert a space into an active marketing tool that increases a brands awareness.
3. Brand Storming / Starting Point
4. Brand Storming / Starting Point Need to understand… • Design management • Design thinking • Space design • Service design • Branding • Marketing M k ti • Etc.“A Study on the Revitalization of Old Space for Commercial Application”
5. Research Material• Literature – Design management / Design thinking • Martin, R. (2009) The Design of Business, Harvard Business Press • Brown, T. (2009) Change by Design, New York, Harper Business • Kelly, T. and Littman, J. (2005) The Ten Faces of Innovation, New York, Currency Doubleday – Space design • Mikunda, C. (2006) Brand Lands, Hot Spots & Cool Spaces, Kogan Page – Service design • Stickdorn, M. and Schneider, J. (2011) This is Service Design Thinking, New Jersey, , , ( ) g g, y, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. – Branding • Clifton, R. and Simmons, J. (2003) The Economist: Brands and Branding, New Jersey, Bloomberg Press – Marketing • Kotler, P., Wong, V., Saunders, J. and Armstrong, G. (2005) Principles of Marketing, Essex, Pearson Education Limited – Trends research • Trendwatching.com • Interbrand• Exhibitions / E E hibiti Events t• Case study (examples)
6. Book• Title: Brand Lands, Hot Spots & Cool Spaces: Welcome to the Third Place and the Total Marketing Experience (2006, Kogan Page)• Author: Dr. Christian Mikunda A th D Ch i ti Mik d• Contents: Brand lands, hip restaurants & bars, flagship stores, concept stores, mood management, etc. p , g , Design thinking g g – “Methodology for transforming ‘existing conditions into preferred ones’” (Simon 1969) – “’i “’imaging, visualizing and d i i li i d dreaming up’ and thi ki th i ’ d thinking through”h” (Cooper, 2010)
8. Learning Log Categories – Literature Review – Design – Architecture / Space Design – New store – Business Trends – Exhibitions / Events – JournalDESIGN MARKET: http://inspiredesignmarket.blogspot.com/ Gagyeong Seo Mdes Design Management Cultural and Contextual Design Studies
9. Research Topic How is design used to convert a space into an active marketing tool that increases a brands awareness? brand s Challenges: - Investigating - Design thinking / analyzing - Marketing theories