Manomet Center for
Shorebird Recovery Project
A Healthy Delaware Bay is critical
for shorebird recovery.
People, Shorebirds, Horseshoe Crabs
Community-Based Social Marketing
ü Define Audience
ü Identify Barriers
ü Identify Triggers for Change (Benefits)
ü Develop Strategies
Research to Understand Audience
Phone survey - 400 households
Asset map- Existing programs
Pre- & post- experience
questionnaires from volunteers
• 4 community listening sessions
• Collaborations local orgs
• People nearly unanimously value and
appreciate the Bay.
• But they lack specific knowledge
• Hands-on contact is transformative
• Strong support for “speaking
with one voice.”
• Home-owners want to protect their
• Value of the natural heritage is entwined
with fishing and cultural heritages.
• Building relationships between
sportsmen and non-hunting conservation
Photos: Delaware State Parks
The take-home message:
People love the Bay.
But they need more information and
motivation to action.
Build an Alliance of partnersconservation and non-traditional
Develop a unified message
Develop direct, actionable
Recruit more partners distribute the
methods and make commitments
Delaware Bay Program Coordinator
Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences