Deena Paul, Deepa M.K, Della Sebastian, Donna Thomas, Joseph Mathew
• Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited commonly referred to as Deloitte, is one of the Big Four professional services firms along with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Ernst & Young, and KPMG.• Deloitte is the second largest professional services network in the world by revenue and has 193,000 employees in more than 150 countries providing audit, tax, consulting, enterprise risk and financial advisory services• In 2012, Deloitte earned a record $31.3 billion USD in revenues.• In 2012, it is reported that in the U. K. Deloitte has the largest number of clients amongst companies.• Its global headquarters is located in New York City, United States.
• Type : UK private company,• Industry :Professional services• Founded :London, England, U. K. (1845)• Founder :William Welch Deloitte• Headquarters :30 Rockefeller Plaza,• New York City, New York, U. S.• key people :Stephen Almond (Chairman)• Barry Salzberg (CEO)• Services :Assurance ,Tax Advisory ,Consulting ,Financial• Advisory ,Enterprise Risk• Revenue US$ 31.3 billion (2012)• Employees193,000 (2012)• WebsiteDeloitte.com/global
• Deloitte hires entry-level personnel to client-facing functions through their graduate recruitment programs at selected universities.• The organization is consistently rated by Fortune as one of their "100 Best Companies To Work For".• In 2007 and 2009, Deloitte was rated the number one place to launch your career by Business Week
A culture of continuedlearning• Culture of learning, coaching, and mentoring• Invest in people, and support growth: world-class L & D programs• U.S. India offices: more than 700,000 learning hours are delivered annually, through nearly 5,000 training programs• Focus on enhancing the technical, industry, professional, and leadership competencies of their professionals• Advanced learning methodologies: classroom learning, e- learning, assessments, coaching, mentoring, simulations, and action learning projects.
Broad categories of learningprograms• Induction programmes : Assist & ensure initial skills and knowledge• Technical learning programmes : develop and maintain the skills required in their particular part of the business• Behavioural skills training courses : develop the skills and confidence to perform effectively in the role• Management & leadership development programmes : developing skills as a Manager & Leader• E-learning a wide range of e-learning resources that support the development• Professional qualifications programmes/further study : fully supported in achieving professional qualifications appropriate to the role
L & D at Deloitte US- IndiaCommunication Gym• A growth accelerator,• self-study labs and multi-media resource centres• help professionals strengthen their skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening dimensions of professional interaction and communication skills required for success.Education Programs• Deloitte believe professional excellence requires focus, diverse experiences, and the ability to adapt• The learning process and infrastructure extend significant learning opportunities for their practitioners across the globe.
New Hire Orientation• All practitioners joining the Indian practice go through an exciting orientation program• provides critical skills required to hit the road running.• As part of the on-boarding process, the new hires will undergo detailed function-specific programs that add significant knowledge in areas such as health care, financial research and analysis, enterprise application training, and more.Competency Building• A number of skill and knowledge-building programs in both functional and technical areas are organized every month.• opportunity to work with diverse clients and across industries in more than 140 countries,• employees may be nominated to attend partner academies, seminars and international conferences• This adds a global dimension to their career.
Professional Certification• Deloitte offer opportunities to achieve professional certification from institutes and technology partners• in specific function or service line• to enhance employees’ skills and expand their knowledge base.Global Learning ProgramsThe focus is to "empower talent with learning." Global learningprograms are offered on an international, regional and countrylevel to enable employees to:• Become a successful manager and leader• Gain experience on global projects and with global teams• Learn 24/7 with access to robust online learning capabilities• Build employees own networks of experts• Be mentored and coached by deloitte’s most experienced practitioners (Video 2)
E-learning• Over thousands hours of online courses• in diverse areas of technology, finance, business management, project management,• including Harvard Business Schools online education program, and CISCO and JAVA certification programs, etc., are available• Numerous online books are also available for practitioners to upgrade their competencies in diverse areasInternational Mobility Programs• Deloitte recognize the value of having individuals with global skills• They work to provide opportunities for people to develop through international experiences by working abroad• Interested professionals are encouraged to apply for positions through the various international assignment programs the company offer.
The Deloitte Communication Excellence Program• Deloitte believe that strong communications skills are a key for professional success.• Their Communication Excellence (CE) program is designed to help build the skills needed for personal and career advancement• The CE program initiates and supports development opportunities in many areas of communications effectiveness• It provides personal attention, expert support, and a wide availability of learning materials, while providing a flexible, focused, and sustained means of skill development throughout ones career.
Employee MotivationEnterprise Gamification• increase engagement levels among employees: Bring in visibility, openness and a system of rewards and recognition• The Maverick is an in-house business case competition.• It aims to create excitement and test tangential thinking among employees.• Employees signed up in teams of five and are given a task every Friday evening. The teams would be back with results on Monday and upload their projects on the internal website for votes.• The teams are also judged on content, creativity and leadership skills.• Speed tracks career path and helps in potential appraisal. (Video 3)
Deloitte leadership academyDeloitte’s approach to program design rests on three simple,yet powerful principles• focus on the development of combinations of strengths rather than addressing weaknesses• Leadership development is best achieved through experience based, on-the-job learning.• Emerging and experienced leaders need to be mentored, trained and given stretch opportunities in order to develop. via social learning, on-demand learning and career learning
• DLA is an innovative digital executive training program• For more than 50,000 executives at more than 150 companies worldwide.• Executive education program used to train clients and its own consultants• Accessible online via web, mobile, and in-flight on airplanes.• Lessons from some of the world’s best-known business schools and global leaders, such as Harvard Business Publishing, Stanford and IMD.• Enables to develop management and leadership skills• Connects them within a community of business leaders.• Certifications from top business schools, blog entries and interviews by industry leaders, webinars and special events,
• Employs The Behaviour Platform by Badgeville• Embed powerful Game Mechanics throughout their DLA website• Gamification is increasing engagement and learning.• participants feel a sense of accomplishment as they contribute, share knowledge and complete learning programs.• Measure and reward, engagement across their online education platform.• Designed Missions which encouraged users to fully complete their courses and also their monthly learning goals.• Progress is visualized via progress bars for each mission or competency• This ensured executives stayed on track
• Leader boards : rank users based usage of Deloitte’s 12 development areas. Users compete to become the expert for a topic• Predictable badges: Can be earned when a user completes a specific set of controllable actions (such as completing all courses within a competency or completing their monthly learning plan)• Random variable rewards (rewarding users with badges for completing a largely unknown set of activities). This will provide users with badges without them expecting to receive them.
After only 3 months with Badgeville, Deloitte has alreadyseen significant results in the following areas• 46.6% increase in the number of users that return to DLA daily• 36.3% increase in the number of users that return to DLA weekly• Top users have earned as many as 30 achievements.• Within 6 months, a user unlocked the Leadership Academy Graduate achievement, a milestone that they expected to take 12 months for an average user. (Video 4)
Women Initiative LeadershipLearning• The Deloitte Women’s Initiative for Leadership Learning (WILL): no-cost, facilitated mentoring program• Connects women with established careers to women new to the workforce.• Members gain exclusive access to unique personal mentoring opportunities, networking and learning events, and a comprehensive website with content on issues of relevance to both established and emerging female business leaders.• With this program, women WILL build a legacy of professional and personal support to next generation of female leadership.
WAB(Women As Buyers)• Growing number of women executives: Developed half-day WAB workshops : a better understanding of how women executives make corporate buying decisions.• A growing number of clients’ decisions are made by women: this knowledge is essential to achieving the business development goals.• The development of the workshop began with a year-long study: focused on how executive women make decisions.• Conducted primary and secondary research, interviews with dozens of women buyers of professional services, academics, and experts.
WIN(Women Initiative For Retentionand Advancement)• The focus, was on improving retention: women were recruited in numbers proportional to the number of males: But they were leaving at a higher rate than men.• Gender gap in turnover was costing the firm hundreds of millions of dollars in training and lost resources: it was weakening the pool of women partner candidates• 1993: Began WIN, its initiative for the advancement and retention of women.• Beginning of a culture of flexibility at Deloitte.
Working Mother Initiative• More than 169,000 women were hired last year: Deloitte is among this years 100 Best Companies which offer family- driven programs and benefits that far outpace their competitors.• For the last 16 consecutive years Deloitte have been selected as best working mother company.• Working mothers are among their most valued colleagues, adding respected perspectives that are appreciated within Deloitte . (Video 5)
Mass Career Customization• MCC was designed at Deloitte• To facilitate from a progression from corporate ladder to corporate lattice structure• Extends notion of mass product customization to careers in workplace• It is individually customized scalable system designed to align workplace needs with todays non traditional workforce• It meets the challenges of the major long-term trends affecting talent market
The Corporate Ladder is giving way to aCorporate Lattice model
MCC framework defined• MCC framework lay out a definite set of options along each of the four core dimensions of a career• Pace, Workload, Location/Schedule and Role• The four dimensions are defined in generic terms but organizations can tailor the dimensions of MCC to align with their business structures• The employees and their managers partner to customize their careers by selecting the option along each of the four dimensions that most closely matches the employee career objectives keeping in mind their life and the needs of the business at a given point in time
• PACE: Refers to how an employee is expected to progress to increasing levels of responsibility and authority.• WORKLOAD: Quantity of work performed, typically measured in units of hours or days per week, pay cycle, or month.• LOCATION/SCHEDULE: Where (location) and when (schedule) work gets done.• ROLE: Refers to the category of an employee’s position, job description and responsibilities.
The below describes one point in time in atypical employee career
Impact on each mcc dimensionAs driver PACE WORKLOAD LOCATION/ ROLE SCHEDULEPACE Accelerated pace ~ Accelerated pace Decelerated pace = reduced workload = reduces options reduces for management location/schedule responsibilitiesWORKLOAD Reduced workload Reduced Reduced workload = decelerate pace workload linked = individual to contributor role location/scheduleLOCATION/ Reduced schedule = Reduced schedule = Desired L/S = slow pace reduced workload eliminates roleSCHEDULE requiring travelROLE Specific role = Specific role = Specific role = determine pace increasing/ decrease reduce options for option for W/L location/schedule
Performance Management• Incorporates coaching, defining and recording job performance, training, self-assessment, multi-point feedback, behavioural based appraisal, two-way communication, and goal setting.• Each practitioner has a counsellor who is responsible for evaluation and coaching.• Counsellors are trained to record performance "in the moment" to aid in providing meaningful examples.• Recent feedback is more relevant than historic performance.