What is Dyslexia *Fifteen to twenty percent of United States’ population has a learning disability.(IDA) *85 percent of the learning disabled are dyslexics. (IDA) *Dyslexia is kind of learning disability. It is the most recognized and common learning disability.(LD)
What is Dyslexia
*Dyslexia can be broken down into two parts:
*”Dys” meaning poor and
*”lexia” meaning language
*Thus dyslexics have difficulties with words. (IDA)
*The purpose of the dyslexic program is to give:
--This can be done by having more time allotted and smaller group sizes of homogenous groups.
Procedures to Assess for diagnoses of Dyslexia
*Must follow federal laws – IDEA 2004
*Prior to formal assessment:
-gather information on student such as:
-steps taken in classroom during instructional time to ensure quality instruction
-information from cumulative folder
-vision and hearing screening
-reports from classroom teachers
-Basal reading series assessment
-sample of student works
Procedures to Assess…
*The process is outlined in The Dyslexia Handbook.
-notify parent or guardian of their rights
-assess the student
*The test and assessments must be specific to the purpose of the testing.
*Must be tailored to the specific areas of the educational need.
*Assessments include multiple measures of student’s reading or anecdotal records.
Areas to Assess
*Texas Administrative Code §74.28 (a), the Board of Trustees of a school district or charter school must ensure that procedures for identifying a student with dyslexia or a related disorder and for providing appropriate instructional services to the student are implemented in the district.
• TAC §74.28 (c) states that a school district shall purchase a reading program or develop its own reading program for students with dyslexia and related disorders, as long as the program is characterized by the descriptors found in “Procedures Concerning Dyslexia and Related Disorders.”
Districts and charter schools shall also provide a parent education program for the parents/guardians of students with dyslexia and related disorders.
The Program should include:
Characteristics of dyslexia and related disorders; information on assessment and diagnosis of dyslexia; information on effective strategies for teaching students with dyslexia; and awareness of information on classroom modifications and especially of modifications allowed on standardized testing.
• The teacher must have a valid Texas teaching certificate for the particular grade level that they teach
• They must be trained in dyslexia and related disorders
• They must be trained in the program that their district developed or purchased
• They can serve as trainers and/or consultants to regular, remedial, and special education teachers in the area of dyslexia and related disorders.
*Students with dyslexia and in an instructional program, should be in a small classroom setting and include reading, writing, and spelling. Reading instruction should include phonemic awareness instruction, graphophonemic knowledge, language structure instruction, linguistic instruction, and strategy-oriented instruction