1. A PROJECT ON: SOLAR TRACKING SYSTEMPREPARED BY: Akash Chatterjee Bidurin Chakraborty Debajyoti Chanda Pranay Ghorui Siddharta Mukherjee UNDER THE GUIDANCE OF: Prof. Joyati Chattopadhyay,4THYear – EIE Department, Faculty of ECE/EIE Department;Techno India College of Technology Techno India College of Technology
2. PREFACE The main non-renewable sources of energy in the world are coal, oil, natural gas, and more recently nuclear energy. While the aforesaid power generators use coal, oil & natural gas as their main fuel for energy production, nuclear energy employs the technique of nuclear fission of uranium for electricity generation. The availability of these natural resources in future & pollution are the main concerns.
3. PREFACE Coal Plant Nuclear Natural Plant Gas Plant
4. PREFACE The main renewable sources of energy in the world are hydroelectricity, wind & solar energy. Hydroelectric power plants cannot use water continuously for electricity generation as they need to maintain the level of water on both sides of the dam for survival of aquatic life as well as prevention of flooding in the area. This reduces its efficiency. On the other hand, sunlight (in the desired angle)& winds(in the desired direction) may not be available throughout the day thereby reducing the efficiency of the system
5. PREFACE Hydro- Wind Energy Solar Energy electric Energy
6. COMPARISON OF ENERGY SOURCES 120 Initial Investment Total Operating Cost Pollution EfficiencyCost (Dollars/MWh) → 100 80 60 40 20 0 Coal Oil Natural Nuclear Hydel Wind Solar gas
7. SOLAR POWER-AN INEXHAUSTIBLEENERGY SOURCESolar power, unlike other energysources, is now considered to be thebest alternative due to its versatilityin terms of renewability, cost-effectiveness, improved operatingefficiency and last but not the least itsunlimited reserve, mainly being theSun. The solar panels, being the modern tech of alternative power source, aims at absorbing maximum amount of sunlight and converting into useable electricity, and thus achieving increasing popularity since the realization of fossil fuel shortcomings.
8. OUR PROJECT-SOLAR TRACKINGSYSTEM
9. PROJECT BACKGROUND Why should the solar panel face the most illuminating source of light? Increase Solar Panel Output Maximize Power per unit Area
10. PROJECT BACKGROUNDSolar Panel Output
11. BLOCK DIAGRAMMicrocontroller 8051 and 0808 ADC forms the integral part in the design of solartracking system, that controls the movement of the solar panel for properorientation.
12. 8051 INTERFACE WITH STEPPERMOTORINTERFACING 8051 WITHSTEPPER MOTOROne Phase on Sequence.In this, we are interfacingstepper Motor with One Phaseon Sequence.The Stepper Motor is easilyinterfaced with 8051 and ULN2803.Darlinton pair with highcurrent rating.
13. CONCEPT DESIGN
14. PRO-E DESIGN
15. PRO-E DESIGN
16. DESIGN EVALUATION The main concern was whether the materials used in the design would be sufficient to hand the expected loads and forces on the system The loads applied were gravity and a 65 mph wind normal to the solar panel The system weight, size and functionality was also evaluated
17. APPLICATION & SCOPEThe solar tracker system provides numerous applications in the field ofindustrial, infrastructural as well as agricultural sectors, both private and publicpurposes.Its main application lies in the industrial processes like energy stations andpowerhouses for the production of electricity. Moreover, it also find itsapplications in pool filtration systems, in agriculture for irrigation methods andsolar water heating systems.