1. What flavor of linked data is
best for your collection?
… using other
It builds upon standard Web technologies such as HTTP,
RDF and URIs, but rather than using them to serve web
pages for human readers, it extends them to share
information in a way that can be read automatically by
computers. This enables data from different sources to be
connected and queried.
make your stuff available on the
Web (whatever format) under an
make it available as structured data
(e.g., Excel instead of image scan of a
use non-proprietary formats
(e.g., CSV instead of Excel)
use URIs to denote things, so that
people can point at your stuff
link your data to other data to
What is europeana?
• T-Shirt is the subject (resource you’re describing)
• Color is the property (relationship)
• White is the object
RDF triples, HUH??
Richard Wallis, for OCLC, 2014
20. To summarize:
• Linked data is:
• Method for getting authoritative descriptive
data from Libraries, Archives & Museums out
onto the web, so that it can be recombined
with all the other data stuff garbage out there
• Two main problems brain benders for LAMs
• Linked data is atomized
• Lined data is dynamic
21. Just two flavors today
1. RDFa/HTML microdata
– OCLC’s deployment of Schema.org
22. What is Schema.org?
“ html tags, that webmasters can
use to markup their pages in ways
recognized by major search
27. What is BIBFRAME?
“In addition to being a replacement for MARC,
BIBFRAME serves as a general model for
expressing and connecting bibliographic data.
A major focus of the initiative will be to
determine a transition path for the MARC 21
formats while preserving a robust data
exchange that has supported resource sharing
and cataloging cost savings in recent decades.”
32. RDFa/HTML vs. RDF/XML
• Linked data in HTML way to enrich the html of web
pages – that can be displaying collection information
– Schema.org originally designed for e-commerce;
vocabulary being extended for cultural heritage
– OCLC doing this automatically
• RDF/XML way to re-encode metadata in a linked data
– BIBFRAME is an experiment to convert MARC to linked
data in RDF/XML
– Existing MARC data can be batch transformed to
BIBFRAME; Europeana also harvests metadata & re-
33. What I believe
• Don’t lose sleep!
• Linked data is for discovery
• Content, Data & Properties - RULE
• < >, encoding, screens & screens of RDF, Do
not matter as much as Quality metadata that
can be shared
• CONTEXT Linked data is HUGE opportunity for
librarians, archivists, collection managers
34. Why should we be interested in doing
• Get LAMs data out on the open web?
• Make Google happy?
• Openness and accessibility?
• Torture librarians & collection managers ….
All of the above
LODLAM Training Day $75
36. Sites cited
European Linked Open data
What is linked data video http://vimeo.com/36752317
37. Sites cited
LoC Linked Data Service http://id.loc.gov/
WorldCat Linked Data Vocabularies
Linked data demystified http://goo.gl/vezuZw