1. NewsdecoNstructioN Lesson 1: To better understand the concept of Sensationalism
2. Activity• By now, you should have decided on a natural disaster that happened recently around the world during or after the year 2010.e.g. East African drought of 2011 Japan Earthquake/ Tsunami of 2011 Tropical Storm in Washi/Philippines of 2011
3. Activity• Research and record the objective facts that answer the WHO is involved? WHAT happened? WHERE did the event/incident take place? WHEN did it happen? WHY and HOW did it happen?Please cite the sources of your information and images!Copy and paste the URL below.You have 10 min to do this!
4. Please put all your news clip in aword document with thesources (URL) stated. Activity Google News • Find 4 news sources for the event that you have chosen as a group. • Each member to find a different news source. • If you are in groups of 5, then you will have to find 5 news sources altogether. • You need to look for both TEXT & IMAGES. And the text and images of each news source must fulfill the following criteria: 1) dealing with destruction and devastation 2) dealing with the needs of those suffering after the event calling for help/aid/resources for the immediate and long-term recovery and rebuilding processes, dealing with successful recovery and rebuilding after the event.
5. Activity• Thursday:1.bring along the stapled worksheets that I have given you. You will be filling in the news deconstruction chart individually.2.Print the collated news sources and bring it to class.• Wednesday! Narrative and Visual Test! (15%)
6. News decoNstructioNLesson 2: To better understand the concept of Sensationalism 3-steps approach
7. Step 1: Activity • Complete the Deconstruction Chart for each source.Objective fact Descriptive Image Source of the Sensational Effects of the words in the Elements that Text or Image Elements Image and text support the Text on the descriptive Audience textState the Quote the Describe the State the URL Determine How did youfacts/informa descriptive images used. and the news the feel aftertion. words/phras You can company sensationalis reading this es used. staple your reporting the m technique news report? e.g. “…” images to event. used. How this chart at E.g. Channel did the the back, News Asia report sensationalis ed the event?
8. Step 1: Activity • Example: “Money won’t bring my sister back” by The New Paper - WhoObjective fact Descriptive Image Source of the Sensational Effects of the words in the Elements that Text or Image Elements Image and text support the Text on the descriptive Audience textMadam Chan “heartbrakin Various The New Emotional You feel sadAh Yong, 66 g task”, images of Paper appeal- why and the “grim news”- bus she is in family’s pain adjectives accidents, Singapore, and lost. that blown up her daily describes the picture of routine, natural Madam holiday disaster Chan, picture plans. of daughter crying.
9. As a group, write the Step 2: Activity questions and answers on a new piece of paper.• You need to compare all your sources to determine:1. Which ones were more sensational and why they were? (differences in portrayal)2. What was deemed “newsworthy”3. Why this event was newsworthy4. What elements in the stories were considered important enough for several news sources to report. (similarities)5. Whether there was any news about recovery and rebuilding following the event, and how difficult it was to find this information. Please staple everything in order. The news sources followed by the deconstruction chart for each news source followed by the answers for these questions.
10. Step 3: Activity• Are there any information that has been left out from your news article but is apparent in your group mates’ article?• Each student should identify at least one missing element in her story.
11. HOMEWORK (Reflection n • PACC presentation) Copy these down! • Looking at your group’s deconstruction chart, answer these questions: 1. The purpose of the media representations of the event 2. Who the different audiences were for the media representations of the event 3. The effects of the media representations of the event on the different audiences 4. Any ethical or moral concerns you think there might be regarding the media. Present your presentation in the form ofBring 2 newspaper from a PowerPoint and present it in class tothe same day. The Straits your classmates as a group.Times and The New Paper Print a handout of your slides for me tofor the next few lessons. mark and assess.