2. Basic InformationGeography:Eastern Asia, bordering the East China Sea, KoreaBay, Yellow Sea, and South China Sea, between NorthKorea and Vietnam.Total Area: 9,596,961 sq kmPopulation:1.343 billionGovernment type: Communist stateCapital: BeijingIndependence: 1 October 1949National symbol: dragonCurrency: Yuan
3. Chinese CultureEthnic Groups: China is made up of 56 ethnic groups.The Han Chinese make up 91.5% of the total populationand other nationalities 8.5%.Languages: Standard Chinese orMandarin, Yue, Wu, Minbei, Minnan, Xiang, Gan, etc.Religions: Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Catholicism andProtestantism and etc.Social Values: The hierarchical structure of social life;the cultivation of morality and self-discipline and theemphasis on hard work, achievement, and etc.
4. Hofstede Analysis for ChinaPower Distance IndexThe Chinese society is characterized by a very high level ofinequalities in power and wealth.Individualism Vs CollectivismChina has been strongly marked by collectivism, which thesociety has a strong loyalty towards the group.Masculinity Vs FemininityChina is relatively more masculine country and this isinfluenced by the great discrimination in China towards females.Uncertainty Avoidance IndexChina presents a high degree of acceptance of uncertainty.Short Term Orientation Vs Long Term OrientationChina is more focusing on long term aspects rather than shortterm aspects in their businesses.
5. Economy in ChinaPopulation growth rate: 0.481%GDP (purchasing power parity): $11.44 trillionGDP (official exchange rate): $7.298 trillionGDP - real growth rate: 9.2%GDP - per capita (PPP): $8,500Income level: Upper middle incomeLife expectancy at birth: 74.84 yearsLiteracy Rate: 92.2%Labor force: 795.5 millionPopulation below poverty line: 13.4%Unemployment rate: 6.5%
6. Birth rate: 12.31 births/1,000 populationDeath rate: 7.17 deaths/1,000 populationNet migration rate: -0.33 migrant(s)/1,000 populationMaternal mortality rate: 37 deaths/100,000 live birthsInfant mortality rate: 15.62 deaths/1,000 live birthsInvestment (gross fixed): 54.2% of GDPcountry comparison to the world: 1Budget:revenues: $1.646 trillionexpenditures: $1.729 trillion (2011 est.)Budget surplus (+) or deficit (-): -1.1% of GDPInflation rate (consumer prices): 5.5%Industrial production growth rate: 13.9%country comparison to the world: 6
7. Exports: $1.904 trillion (country comparison to the world: 1)Exports - partners:US 17.1%, Hong Kong 14.1%, Japan 7.8%, South Korea4.4%, Germany 4%Imports: $1.743 trillion (country comparison to the world: 3)Imports - partners:Japan 11.2%, South Korea 9.3%, US 6.8%, Germany5.3%, Australia 4.6%Reserves of foreign exchange and gold: $3.236 trillioncountry comparison to the world: 1Stock of direct foreign investment - at home: $781.8 billionStock of direct foreign investment - abroad: $322 billionCurrent account balance: $201.7 billioncountry comparison to the world: 1
8. Transportation in ChinaAirports: 497Heliports: 50Pipelines: gas 38,566 km; oil 23,470 km; refined products13,706 kmRailways: 86,000 kmcountry comparison to the world: 3Roadways: 3,860,800 kmcountry comparison to the world: 2Waterways: 110,000 km (navigable waterways)country comparison to the world: 1Merchant marine: 2,030country comparison to the world: 3
9. Technological Development in ChinaTelephones - main lines in use: 294.383 millioncountry comparison to the world: 1Telephones - mobile cellular: 859 millioncountry comparison to the world: 1Internet Users: 450 million hostcountry comparison to the world: 1Computer & Electronics:China now has the world’s fastest supercomputer, after takingthe title from the U.S. in 2012. China’s Tianhe-1A has with262 terabytes of memory and is housed in 140 refrigerator-sized cabinets. China is the world’s leading electronicsexporter, which exported US$933.4 billion worth ofmechanical and electrical products in 2011.
10. Multinational Companies in ChinaRevenues ($ Mn)Company Global RankSinopec Group 5 273,422China National Petroleum 6 240,192State Grid 7 226,294Industrial & Commercial Bank of China 77 80,501China Mobile Communications 87 76,673China Railway Group 95 69,973China Railway Construction 105 67,414China Construction Bank 108 67,081China Life Insurance 113 64,635Agricultural Bank of China 127 60,536Bank of China 132 59,212Noble Group 139 56,696Dongfeng Motor 145 55,748
11. Multinational Companies in ChinaRevenues ($ Mn)Company Global RankChina State Construction Engineering 147 54,721China Southern Power Grid 149 54,449Shanghai Automotive 151 54,257China National Offshore Oil 162 52,408Sinochem Group 168 49,537China FAW Group 197 43,434China Communications Construction 211 40,414Baosteel Group 212 40,327CITIC Group 221 38,985China Telecommunications 222 38,469China South Industries Group 227 37,996China Minmetals 229 37,555China North Industries Group 250 35,629
12. Legal Structure & Politics in ChinaCivil law influenced by Soviet and continental European civillaw systems; legislature retains power to interpret statutes.Executive branch:This includes chief of state; President & Vice President, headof government; Premier, Executive Vice Premier, VicePremiers, cabinet; State Council appointed by NationalPeoples Congress.Legislative branch:The primary organs of state power are the National PeoplesCongress (NPC), the President, and the State Council. Underthe Chinese Constitution, the NPC is the highest organ of statepower in China.
13. Judicial branch:Supreme Peoples Court, Local Peoples Courts, SpecialPeoples Courts (primarily military, maritime, railwaytransportation, and forestry courts).The Supreme Peoples Court is the highest trial organ in thecountry and exercises its right of trial independently.Chinese Communist PartyThe 58 million members CCP, authoritarian in structure andideology, continues to dominate government and society.Central leaders must increasingly build consensus for newpolicies among party members, local and regionalleaders, influential non-party members, and the population atlarge.
14. Business Schools in China1. China Europe International Business School (CEIBS)2. Guanghua School of Management3. Tsinghua School of Economics & Management (SEM)4. Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business5. Beijing International MBA (BiMBA) at Peking University6. HKUST Business School7. School of Management, Fudan University8. Shanghai Economic Management College9. University of International Business and Economics