Crowds farewell departing troops on the wharf at Lyttelton in 1940. Expressions of apprehension and concern are apparent on the faces of many of the women who have come to see off their boys and men leaving for the war.
Registered Name - Lyttelton II Built - 1938 Builder - Lobnitz & Company Limited Yard No. - 1014 Lloyd's Registry No. - 1171392 Current Port of Registry - Melbourne L.O.A. - 34.97 Metres (123 feet) Beam - 9.5 Metres (31 feet 4 inches) Draught - 4 Metres (12 feet 3 inches) Gross Tonnage - 303 tons (308 tonnes) Displacement - 593 tons (604 tonnes) Engines - Two coal fired, 6 cylinder triple expansion steam engines. Speed - 12 Knots
Ship's Log 1938 - Built and engined by Lobnitz & Company Limited of Renfrew, Glasgow.
Specialising since the 1850s in the construction of dredges, floating docks, fishing boats, tugs and workboats, Lobnitz built the similar Awarua for Bluff Harbour in 1932 (below Right) and the almost identical William C Daldy (below Left) for Auckland in 1935 at a cost of £30,499 delivered. See links below for more about the William C Daldy .
Lobnitz also built the tug Otago (1955) for the Otago Harbour Board and the dredge Peraki ( 1960) for the Lyttelton Harbour Board (believed to be still working out of Manila as the Angelita IV ). 1939 - February 27 - Departed Glasgow for Lyttelton. 1939 - June 8 - Arrived at Lyttelton after a 107 day passage.
Sydney Wigglesworth served as Second Mate on the delivery voyage of one of the last coal fired steamers built for a New Zealand owner. As Lobnitz included delivery in their price it's likely that Sydney was a Glaswegian in their employ at this time, 38 years later he was living at Auckland.
1940 - Dec 29 - The 6,000 ton inter-island ferry Rangatira ran aground at Pigeon Bay near the entrance to Lyttleton Harbour. Refloated about 3 pm with help of the tug (below). 1963 - Aug - Voyage to Port Chalmers to assist the damaged Paparoa into the dry dock. 1963 - Sep 21 - Stood by the motor vessel Holmbank (below) when she broke her back on grounding in Peraki Bay on the Southern side of Banks Peninsula. 1965 - Aug - New Zealand Marine News announces that the tug is to have her coal fired boilers converted to oil burning next year. 1977 - The Lyttelton Harbour Board's replacement tug Godley begins service.