The Tao of D
To ensure that the best content, products and ideas bubble up regardless of the platform.
• Managed content and editorial strategies for Heroku, Salesforce and Tokoni
• Guided 200+ sites (9to5Mac, Phandroid etc.) in raising collective monthly uniques from 33 to 120M in 2 yrs
• Led publisher and event partnerships with Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and Intel
• Established PR, marketing and event programs for Code for America, Heroku and inPowered
• Co-managed a $20M ad budget for 22 Ministries as the Corporate Comms Officer for the Province of BC
• Published by The Next Web, Mashable, ReadWrite, Silicon Valley Watcher and the New York Times
Senior Marketing Manager, Code for America
[May 2013 – CURRENT]
• Managed the content and creation of the organizations website [Launch Feb 2014];
• Owned developer, city and startup recruiting across the organization;
• Established core marketing infrastructure including first recruitment budgets and event calendars; and,
• Created collateral and byline articles for government, open source and general tech audiences.
Marketing & Content Strategist, SELF-EMPLOYED
[September 2007 – May 2013]
CLIENTS: Salesforce, Heroku, Respectance, StyleMob, Tokoni, MyThings and Alter.net
• Created content strategy, product launch and crisis communications plans;
• Produced content and editorial for developer, business, consumer and sales audiences;
• Led teams of community managers and editors to drive leads and member acquisition; and,
• Mentored marketing teams on blogger relations, community infrastructure and content management.
Senior MANAGER OF MEDIA ANALYSIS & PUBLISHING STRATEGY, INPOWERED
[Mar 2010 - FEB 2013]
• Increased network-wide traffic by 400% for 200 sites including Phandroid, MacRumors and 9to5Mac;
• Built network-wide strategy for blogs, social media, events and direct mail;
• Brokered network exclusives with brands like Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and Intel; and,
• Spoke at TEDxSLO, Social Media Marketing Conference, San Fran Music Tech and CES.
LEAD STARTUP CHANNEL Writer, ReadWriteWeb [Jun 2009 – Apr 2010]
• Lead the ReadWriteStart Channel writing on launches, negotiation tactics, marketing and venture capital; and,
• Created channel features, editorial strategies, and engagement tactics.
MARKETING & AUDIENCE ACQUISITION STRATEGIST, SELF-EMPLOYED [SEPT 2007- MAR 2010]
Clients: Respectance, StyleMob, Tokoni and MyThings, Alternet, SOS Children’s Village and SF Neighborhood
• Produced plans on member acquisition, media relations and community.
Marketing Director, Fixya.com [Aug 2008 – Apr 2009]
• Grew traffic and engagement towards Series B through media relations and event relations; and,
• Created editorial calendar including user features, reviews and how-tos.
MANAGER OF Media Relations and Event Marketing, Breast Cancer Fund [MAY 2006 – May 2007]
• Established the organization’s first social media presences and plan;
• Owned marketing for the organization’s events, member drives and fundraising campaigns; and,
• Successfully advocated to enact Senate Bill 1379 - the country’s first state-wide biomonitoring program.
Public Affairs Officer, Province of BC [Mar 2005 – May 2006]
• Wrote speeches for BC’s Premier and the Ministers of Childcare, Family Development and Finance;
• Co-managed more than $20 million dollars in ad products and requests for the BC provincial gov’t;
• Co-wrote the BC Provincial government’s graphic identity and branding policy; and,
• Managed and wrote tv, radio, web and print campaigns for 22 Ministry departments.
Manager of Communications, Victoria Cool Aid Society [Apr 2004 – Feb 2005]
• Researched, developed and implemented company-wide communications plans;
• Co-organized the region’s first Homeless Count including recruiting 200+ high profile political participants;
• Owned media relations including groundbreakings, launches and political scrum; and,
• Established an anti-poverty coalition alongside the United Way, Mustard Seed Food Bank and Salvation Army.
• The Next Web http://thenextweb.com/author/danao/
• ReadWrite http://readwriteweb.com/archives/author/dana-oshiro.php
• Mashable http://mashable.com/author/dana-oshiro/
• The New York Times http://nyti.ms/lNA6QE
• Silicon Valley Watcher http://bit.ly/9Oo17R
• BlogWorld Editorial http://bit.ly/msYhhW
• Toastmasters SF (Toastbusters)
• Social Media Club
• Super Happy Dev House
• Advisor, Converge Labs [current]
• SV Advisory to the White House Office of Engagement [current]
• Social Media Committee, IAB [Jul 2012 - May 2013]
• Fundraising Chair, Intrepid Theatre [Sept - May 2006]
• Mentorship Chair, IABC, [Sept - Apr 2004]
• Assc. Fundraising Professionals
• Women’s Congressional School
• PR Diploma, Kwantlen College
• BA Literature, University of Victoria