Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Infographic: Breast Cancer and Genetics
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Infographic: Breast Cancer and Genetics

1,506

Published on

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women (American Cancer Society), but only 5-10 percent of breast cancer cases are hereditary. Of those cases, roughly 20-25 percent are linked to …

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women (American Cancer Society), but only 5-10 percent of breast cancer cases are hereditary. Of those cases, roughly 20-25 percent are linked to mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes (BRCA stands for BReast CAncer susceptibility). View the infographic above for more on the genetics of breast cancer.

For more information on breast cancer, visit the website for Dana-Farber’s Susan F. Smith Center for Women’s Cancers Breast Oncology Program: http://www.dana-farber.org/Adult-Care/Treatment-and-Support/Breast-Cancer.aspx

Published in: Health & Medicine
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
1,506
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Breast Cancer and Genetics of breast cancer cases are hereditary “An alteration or a mutation in a gene (BRCA 1, 2) does not equal cancer, and of these, BRCA mutations are responsible for approximately 20– 25% of the diagnoses. it just means there is an increased risk.” Huma Rana, MD, Cancer Geneticist, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute New Breast Cancer Cases Every Year new cases of invasive breast cancer 232,340 in women in 2013 cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) in 2013 (non-invasive and earliest form of breast cancer) 64,640 Risk of Cancer if you have BRCA 1, 2 mutations Women with inherited alterations in BRCA 1, 2 have a 40-80% chance of developing breast cancer during their lifetimes. 5-10% Family Members with Breast Cancer risk factors 5–10% of women have a mother or sister with breast cancer, and about twice as many have either a first-degree relative or seconddegree relative with breast cancer. for breast cancer • Age • Reproductive and menstrual history • Oral contraceptives • Hormone replacement therapy • Radiation exposure • Alcohol intake • Obesity Bilateral preventative mastectemy can reduce risk of breast cancer by 90%. Curable Breast Cancer Percent of Survival 93% 88% 81% 74% Stage 0 Stage I Stage IIA Stage IIB 67% 41% 49% 15% Stage IIIA Stage IIIB Stage IIIC Stage IV Sources • • • • • Dana-Farber Turning Point, 2009: http://www.dana-farber.org/uploadeFiles/ Library/newsroom/publications/turning-point/2009/TurningPoint_2009.pdf NCI – Genetics of Breast and Ovarian Cancer: http://www.cancer.gov/ cancertopics/pdq/genetics/breast-and-ovarian/HealthProfessional/page1 American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/ overviewguide/breast-cancer-overview-key-statistics American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/ overviewguide/breast-cancer-overview-survival-rates “Outsmart Your Genes: Understanding BRCA 1/2 Cancer Risk” by Huma Q. Rana, MD, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, July 2013 S USAN F. S MITH C ENTER FOR W OMEN ’ S C ANCERS

×