View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
• Introduction 3
• Database Details 4
• Lead Generation Module – new 12
• Benefits 14
– Investment promotion strategy 16
– Market and sector profiling 18
– Identifying target investors 20
– Profiling companies 22
– Performance evaluation 23
– Marketing and PR 24
– Lead generation – new 25
• Staffing, Technical Support and Training 27
• Client List 28
• Testimonials 29
• Why fDi Markets? Unique Selling Points 30
• The fDi Intelligence division of the Financial Times Ltd is delighted to
submit our proposal for providing fDi Markets.
• fDi Markets is an online FDI database, market research and investor
targeting tool, accessed through an annual subscription.
• fDi Markets is the market leading FDI database. It has tracked nearly
100,000 FDI projects investing over $7 trillion and creating 20 million jobs.
• fDi Markets is the exclusive source of FDI project data for the UNCTAD
World Investment Report, The Economist Intelligence Unit and World Bank.
• Over 150 Governments around the world and many of the world’s leading
multinational corporations currently subscribe to fDi Markets.
• We are convinced that fDi Markets will significantly improve the ability of
your agency to attract FDI.
Database Details – Intelligence Sources
• fDi Markets is produced in the UK using a team of multi-lingual
analysts, who are full time employees of the Financial Times Ltd,
ensuring the highest quality staff conduct the data research.
• Our team search over 8,000 news sources, including the proprietary
sources of the Financial Times Ltd, to identify FDI projects.
• An additional 2,000 + industry and government sources are searched
daily for news of FDI projects and inter-state projects in the USA.
• When a project is identified, the project is validated with company
sources, which allows further company information to be captured,
including decision making contacts, and is entered into fDi Markets.
• Only new and expansion projects which lead to new jobs being created
and capital being invested are recorded i.e. Greenfield investment
• The information then goes through a strict quality control process.
Database Details – Data Tags
• The below information on each FDI project is captured. The database is
fully searchable by these data tags.
– Parent company name
– Investment company name
– Company turnover and website
– Company profile
– Company contacts and position
– Project description
– Source country, region, city
– Destination country, region, and city
– Jobs and investment amount
– Cluster, sector and business activity
– Type of project (new, expansion, co-location)
– Motives for investment
– Geographic markets served by the investment project
Database Details – Sectors Covered
• Every FDI project is tagged to a sector, as shown below. fDi Markets
covers every sector, unlike any other FDI database available. Sectors
have been aligned as close as possible to SIC codes, and a list of SIC
codes is available.
– Aerospace – Consumer Electronics – Non-Automotive Transport
– Alternative/Renewable energy – Consumer Products – Paper, Printing & Packaging
– Automotive Components – Electronic Components – Pharmaceuticals
– Automotive OEM – Engines & Turbines – Plastics
– Beverages – Financial Services – Real Estate
– Biotechnology – Food & Tobacco – Rubber
– Building & Construction Materials – Healthcare – Semiconductors
– Business Machines & Equipment – Hotels & Tourism – Software & IT services
– Business Services – Industrial Machinery & Equip – Space & Defence
– Ceramics & Glass – Leisure & Entertainment – Textiles
– Chemicals – Medical Devices – Transportation
– Coal, Oil & Gas – Metals Warehousing & Storage
– Communications – Minerals – Wood Products
Database Details – Clusters Covered
• Every FDI project is tagged to a cluster, as shown below. A cluster is
defined as the end-user industry for the project. A cluster is not sector-
dependent, allowing true industry value chains to be identified.
• For example, a software development centre by HSBC is defined as
being in the “Software & IT Services” sector and in the “Financial
– Construction – Life sciences
– Consumer Goods – Physical Sciences (Chemicals, Metal, Mining)
– Creative Industries – Professional Services
– Energy – Retail Trade
– Environmental Technology – Tourism
– Financial Services – Transport Equipment
– Food, Beverages & Tobacco – Transportation, Warehousing & Storage
– ICT – Wood, Apparel & Related Products
Database Details – Activities Covered
• Every FDI project is also tagged to a business activity, as shown below.
A business activity is not sector-specific and shows the actual activity
being conducted by the new investment.
– Business Service – Logistics, Distribution & Transportation
– Construction – Maintenance & Servicing
– Customer Contact Centre – Manufacturing
– Design, Development & Testing – Recycling
– Education & Training – Research & Development
– Electricity – Retail
– Extraction – Sales, Marketing & Support
– Headquarters – Shared Services Centre
– ICT & Internet Infrastructure – Technical Support Centre
Database Details – Technology/Product Search
• An industry search function allows the user to instantly build a database
for any search words, including specific technologies such as Wind,
Wireless or Solar. This is saved on the application, and the full suite of
fDi Markets tools are available to analyse this database. Our team can
assist with key word searches if required.
Database Details – Markets Covered
• fDi Markets covers every country, region and city worldwide
Lead generation module – ‘Investor Signals’
• A new module is being added to fDi
Markets in May 2010 called ‘Investor
• 5 investor signals are being tracked
to generate new business leads.
• The signals being tracked are shown
on the right. The signals provide
early warning that a company may
be considering investment before
they have made the decision on
where to invest
• The signals module is available for a
small additional fee to existing fDi
Key benefits of fDi Markets
• The key benefits of having access to fDi Markets include:
1. Developing your investment promotion strategy
2. Market and sector profiling
3. Identifying target companies
4. Profiling companies
5. Performance evaluation
6. Marketing & PR
7. Lead generation - new
Benefit #1: Investment Promotion Strategy
• The fDi Markets database allows Government agencies to their
investment promotion strategy based on real time empirical evidence
on the actual size and growth in Greenfield FDI in all markets and
• fDi Markets is a unique investment promotion strategy tool for:
– Identifying and prioritising target markets for FDI
– Identifying and prioritising target sectors for FDI
– Setting investment targets based on the number of FDI projects, jobs
and capital investment to be attracted
Benefit #1: Investment Promotion Strategy
Example – Creative Industries is the highest growth FDI sector
Benefit #2: Market and sector profiling
• For each sector and for each country/state your agency is targeting for
FDI in-depth instant analysis is provided on fDi Markets.
• This analysis is invaluable for informing investment officers on where the
opportunities are in the sector or market being targeted and for
developing their marketing plans.
• fDi Markets also provides a report tool, which will produce a MS Word
report with full analysis on every segment you are targeting – saving
much time and resource in putting together studies.
Benefit #2: Market and sector profiling
Example – Analysing the Creative Industries sector
Benefit #3: Identifying Target Firms
• fDi Markets contains a database of over 50,000 actively investing
companies, which can be searched and is constantly updated.
• Over 500 new investors are being added to the database every month.
• fDi Markets is unique in that companies can be ranked by the number
and size of their actual investments (which is the best technique to
identify target companies) as well as turnover:
• fDi Markets will ensure that your agency is building relationships with:
– The most strategic companies in your target segments
– Companies which do not yet have a presence in your country or
region, but which are expanding globally
– Newly emerging companies, investing across borders for the first time
– Companies establishing regional HQs in your region
– Companies investing in your location to provide after-care services
Benefit #3: Identifying Target Firms
Example – Identifying target companies from India in Creative Industries
Benefit #4: Profiling Companies
• fDi Markets provides a company profile on every company making an
investment project, which is updated each time the company invests.
• A company report is available on every company.
• The company reports provide unique and indispensable information on
the company to prepare for contacting or meeting the company.
• The company report includes:
– Overview of the company
– Turnover and website
– Key contacts we have identified for each FDI project the company
has had (where contact name can be found). We also record the
month and year we added the contact
– Analysis of the global investments of the company
– Profiles of investment projects
Benefit #5: Performance Evaluation
• fDi Markets will allow your agency to track its performance in attracting
FDI based on the number and size of projects attracted and
comparisons with other locations.
• Market share can be easily calculated for specific target segments, so
your agency can see in which segments it is performing strongly and in
which areas performance is below the market share that is expected.
• fDi Markets tracks the jobs and capital investment of every project.
Patent-pending algorithms calculate estimated jobs and investment
when the actual figures are not released by the company.
• The typical accuracy of these estimates is over 80% when the sample
includes at least 20 projects, and for random testing of 1,000 projects
near 100% accuracy is achieved. fDi Markets can therefore reliably
assess the impact of FDI on your economy in terms of employment
creation and capital investment.
Benefit #6: Marketing and PR
• Access to an FDI database tracking investment into your region and
country can be a powerful marketing tool.
• Projects are added typically the same day a company makes an
announcement, and a profile of each project is provided.
• fDi Markets has a built-in e-mail newswire service, and multiple e-mail
newswires can be set up for each specified user. This facilitates real-
time tracking of FDI into your location as well as into target sectors and
markets for sector teams, sales reps, and overseas offices.
• Clients are permitted to use information provided by fDi Markets in
press releases and marketing materials.
• This could include press releases or updates on the latest projects
being attracted into your location and rankings comparing your location
success with competitors – carrying the independence and credibility of
fDi Intelligence, Financial Times Ltd
Benefit #7: Lead generation
• The new ‘investor signals’ module, being launched in March 2010
providing the most comprehensive tracking of investor investment
• It will provide early signals of companies that are already considering or
are likely to invest overseas, together with profiles and contacts of the
• The investor signals module, in combination with the current FDI
database, will make fDi Markets the most comprehensive lead
generation system available to investment promotion organizations.
• Note that the investor signals module is available at an additional fee
Benefit #7: Lead generation
Example: Investor signals for Latin America – Cobiscorp
Staffing, Technical Support & Training
• fDi Intelligence provides the highest levels of customer and technical
support to our clients.
• Am experienced, dedicated account manager is provided for each client.
• We provide either face-to-face training workshops or online ‘webex’
training, with further training provided during the subscription when new
product features are launched.
• fDi Markets can be accessed 24/7. Our reliable and fast servers ensure
continuous access to fDi Markets. We also provide customer support
and a technical support helpline.
• Product usage is constantly tracked and we can provide usage reports
to clients upon request.
• fDi Markets has over 150 Government clients. Example include:
– APEX Brazil – Business Porta Califronia
– Corpei Ecuador – IBW Wales
– Dubai DED – Invest Victoria
– IDA Ireland – Ontario EDT
– Invest in America – ARD Paris
– Invest in Canada – Probarranquilla
– Invest in Spain – Scottish Development
– Invest Hong Kong – Stockholm Business Region
– Proexport Colombia – Texas DED
– UK Trade and Investment – Think London
• Many multinational corporations and consultancies use fDi Markets for
site selection and business development including among others:
Microsoft, Dell, Barclays, BASF, Royal Haskoning, Deloitte, McKinsey,
Mercer, Frenger, Marsh & McLennan.
“Our international marketing efforts have improved dramatically since we started to use fDi
Markets. Now that we are able to identify companies that are active outward investors,
targeting potential investors has become far more effective and far less complex. Our
intelligence unit subscribes to several databases but none that have proved so useful, fDi
Markets has proved to be a most prudent investment tool that no IPA should be without.”
(Wesgro, Cape Town region)
“fDi Markets is a valuable source of sector, market and company intelligence for our
international investment team and this resource has significantly reduced the time required
to conduct FDI project analysis.”
(Invest Northern Ireland)
“We would give up our travel budget to have access to fDi Markets”
(UKTI, Japan office)
“A very well conceived project”
(Microsoft, Redmond site selection team)
Why fDi Markets? Unique selling points
1. The only database tracking FDI in all sectors and all countries worldwide
2. The only database providing real-time global market data on FDI
3. The only database providing FDI analysis, investor targeting, and
business leads in one easy-to-use business application accessible 24/7
4. E-mail newswire 5-10 times more comprehensive than any similar service
5. Credibility of using the exclusive source of FDI project data for the leading
FDI statistics organizations – UNCTAD, EIU, World Bank and BEA