1. Our Team CONFIDENTIAL Daisuke Inoue, Founder & Chief Visionary Senior Web Planner at Recruit Co.ltd (1996-2005) Visiting Researcher at M.I.T. (2001-2002) Daiya Hashimoto, Co-Founder & Chief Evangelist President of DataSection Inc. Known as “Alpha Blogger” (most influential blogger) Kengo Ito, Chief Executive Officer Mitsui & Co., Ltd.(1997-2008) Mr. Matsuda ex. Recruit Co.ltd Service Planning User Support PR Mr. Yamada ex. Yahoo Japan Web Engineer Mr. Morimoto ex. Nihon Unisys Web Engineer PC application Mr. Inagaki ex. Nihon Unisys Recommendation Algorithms Mr. Sakata Metadata Factory Mr. Yamaguchi ex. NGI Technology Web Engineer Mr. Katayama User Support 小池 Satoshi Koike President and CEO of NGI Group Lead Investor in Mixi
2. Corporate Vision CONFIDENTIAL Online Video TV Broadcasting Packaged Contents Home Appliances PC Mobile Devices Metacast Services TAGIRI TAGIRI Toolbar SAGURI Mitter Increasing video delivery channels Increasing devices to watch video Provides a “Meta-Platform” for video navigation by using CGM (Consumer Generated Metadata) which we aggregate and distribute through our services
3. Business Environment CONFIDENTIAL 1980- VCR 2000- DVR 2010- Super DVR 500GB (1,000hours) 2 tuners EPG 800USD 2TB (10,000hours) 8 tuners EPG Video Search 1000USD? (currently 2000USD) US Japan YouTube penetration rate per household Ad Business Consumer
Behavioral Targeting Ad Business has just started in Japan.
In 2011, Online Video Advertisement will become 80B(650M USD) business in Japan.
Average capacity of the recordable hours has been doubling each year.
“ Super DVR”, which records all the major TV channels 24/7 will be in the market as commodity around 2010.
Online video is the fastest growing arena in the Internet services in Japan.
YouTube was the sole winner in 2006, but new services are taking shares from Youtube.
More than 70% of the traffic to the video services is via WOM. (Blog/SNS/Mail)
Market & Trends Behavioral Targeting Ads Video Ads Video Content Consumption and Choice
Example of Emerging Video Service CONFIDENTIAL Nico-Nico Douga （ニコニコ動画） Average frequency per month Average usage (hour) per month
4. Core values to the consumers “ What we can accomplish using metadata” CONFIDENTIAL Discover the contents which you might to want to see by way of; - Search - Notification via community (Weblog, Mail, Web, IM, Chat) - Recommendation (Ranking, Collaborative Filtering, Editorials) Expand your knowledge/activity based on what you are watching - Tagging to a certain segment - EC link from inside TV shows - Sponsored link from 15sec Ads - TV Wikipedia Manage the history of what you have watched, how you behaved - collecting viewing +controlling logs from every single user - generating TV diary for each user Underlying changes Spreading online video services (Youtube, niconico-video, etc) Needs for “Aggregation” - Video Search Engine Needs for WOM navigation - Blog/SNS/Mail/Bookmark Increasing DVR Capacity Needs for “Navigation among recorded TV Programs” (like Gracenote’s CDDB) More people are watching video contents on PC and Mobile phones and Living room TV-set is going to be “online” soon. People will tolerate that trusted services will “track” their behavior and make use of it in a good way. (Lifelog) Metadata Technology Discover Accumulate Expand Metadata about contents Metadata about users
CONFIDENTIAL Discover the contents which you might to want to see by way of; - Search - Notification via community (Weblog, Mail, Web, IM, Chat) - Recommendation (Ranking, Collaborative Filtering, Editorials) Expand your knowledge/activity based on what you are watching - Tagging to a certain segment - EC link from inside TV shows - Sponsored link from 15sec Ads - TV Wikipedia Manage the history of what you have watched, how you behaved - collecting viewing +controlling logs from every single user - generating TV diary for each user 5. Business Models “ How we can monetize our values” Advertisement - Behavioral Targeting Ads Metadata Technology Discover Accumulate Expand Metadata about contents Metadata about users Advertisement - Search Engine Advertisement - Video Ads on WOM network Advertisement - Clickable TV Commercials EC - TV Shopping Research - Ratings for online video - Ratings for DVR 2007: 120B (1.0B USD) 2008: 145B (1.2B USD) 2009: 165B (1.4B USD) 2010: 189B (1.6B USD) TV Commercial 2000B (18B USD) Not Growing Skippable Ads to clickable Ads TV Shopping 340B (2.9B USD) steadily growing Replace traditional EC if searchable Video Research Inc. (live TV ratings) 2007: 20B (180M USD) 2011: 80B (650M)
6. Service Overview – for recorded TV Metadata Creation (Project Inc.) 1. Website: www.tvblog.jp metadata User’s PC deliver metadata 2. TAGIRI Upload reviews/tags/comments recorded contents (mpg) TV broadcasting Export content & metadata via USB iPod PSP DLNA supported DVR To enhance TV viewing experience in a modern way, we have developed following two products 1. www.tvblog.jp (web site) = “TV Portal” - Pages are generated for every single TV program broadcasted in Tokyo area. (2,000pages+/week) - Each page contains “time-line metadata” created by our partner company (Project Inc.). - Each page gathers related WOM information from blogsphere by way of TrackBack and Crawling. 2. TAGIRI (application for PC) = “iTune for recorded TV programs” - Works perfectly fine with TV enabled PC (60% of PC shipped in Japan are TV enabled). - Automatically generates thumbnails (4 pics/minute) from recorded TV programs. - Automatically imports “time-line metadata” from our servers (like Gracenote’s CDDB) - Allows user to tag (comment) onto any single time-point alongside the content - Has a searching functionality based on the text metadata (time-line and user tagging) - Sends each user’s behavior log (tags, comments, reviews, viewing preferences) to our servers - Able to communicate with other devices via USB/DLNA and import/export contents.
7. Service Overview – for online videos 1. TAGIRI Toolbar User’s PC 2. TAGIRI Downloaded contents (flv,divx) download 4. SAGURI Viewlog Nofity (view & download) To supplement the ever increasing online movie sharing sites and their lack of download and cross-search functionality, we have developed following 2 products 3. TAGIRI Toolbar (plug-in for IE and Firefox) = “Easiest Download Button” - Arrow button in the toolbar flashes blue where movie is downloadable. - Just pressing the blue arrow lets users to download the movie with the title name as a filename. - TAGIRI will automatically detect the file and start generating thumbnails from the downloaded contents. - TAGIRI will have a permanent link to the original page where the movie was downloaded 4. SAGURI (Search Engine) = “Crawlerless Search Engine with a Perfect Ranking System” - Receives the user log (who viewed/downloaded which movie) from every single TAGIRI Toolbar installed. (0.5M+ user so far) - Compiles search index and ranking from the logs. (60M+ views) - Able to show (also publish RSS) search result in 3 ways, “Newest”, “Most Viewed All-time”, “Most Viewed Recent”.
New Service “Mitter” CONFIDENTIAL Video Watcher
Twitter : “What are you doing?” - Mitter : “What have you watched?” Very casual communication. No need to register video URLs. (Toolbar will do it automatically) Easy to rate/comment/tag to your video viewing history. Easy to compile a “Play list” and post to your Blogs/SNS with one click. You can check how your friends responded to your favorite videos. Video recommendation based on what you have watched.
8. Business Plan 2007 2009 2008 2010 201 １ 2012 Establish WOM platform for online videos with toolbar and Mitter. TV Blog TAGIRI Gain more users Start providing meta navigation service for digital appliances TAGIRI Toolbar Mitter Service for online videos Service for broadcasted TV CONFIDENTIAL Establish a “Meta-Platform” for video navigation by using CGM (Consumer Generated Metadata) which we aggregate and distribute through our services
9. Our Advantage CONFIDENTIAL Video Watcher Video Poster “ Video Influencer” Mitter User
1.2M of TAGIRI Toolbar Download (13% of them are active) - Average number of video watched per week per active user: 80 videos - lots of “wanna be influencers” among the toolbar users