Apex Resource Solutions Social Media SeriesThe value of Facebook for HR & Hiring
1. Facebook numbers2. Tell your story using Timeline3. Great pages: HR/Hiring4. Attraction & engagement of staff5. Important factors for success6. Apps: need to know7. Crazy Facebook facts
1. Facebook numbersLook at Facebook’s numbers: you can’t ignore nor its power for hiring & HR• 1 billion users: expected this month • Facebook is the 2nd most trafﬁcked website in the world, next only to Google• 7hr: 45min average monthly time per user• 42% mobile users share multi-media via FB • 85% of internet users have a FB account• 20% of ALL page views on the web happen on FB • 58% of users have liked a company page• 3/4 of global Fortune 100 have a FB page• 9 out of 10 companies update their FB page weekly ... I need a FB talent community• accounts for 3 in 4 minutes spent on social networking sites
2. Facebook Timeline Timeline is more than a change in design. It’s a whole new way to present your employer brand to your talent community. It’s now a storytelling platform, for you to present the history of your business.Tabs are now Apps...Tabs, which used to appear on the left of the page, nowappear horizontally on the right, below your cover My timeline is sending me to sleep.... zzzzzzzz.........photo.Referred to as ‘Apps’ they’re located in the ‘Views &Apps’ section - where your photos, events, likes &custom Apps are located.There are 4 Apps that can be displayed here, the ﬁrst isreserved for photos.
2. Facebook TimelinePosts are now stories....You can now highlight your company’s achievements, add milestones, highlight star posts, ask questions, post better photos &get them seen by more people, showcase your company as an employer and thus drive candidate trafﬁc, and build yourtalent community.Every post has the opportunity to engage. Stories are what makes social media so magnetic.
2. Facebook Timeline Using your cover photo... It’s the ﬁrst thing people see when they visit your page - so it’s your critical opportunity to GRAB their attention. Choose a sharp, visually engaging image. Ideas include: a photo of staff in action - at work, or play; staff endorsement statement; demonstration of staff beneﬁts; an award or graphic that shows your company’s success. The rules:The cover photo is the large image at the top of your DON’T include any commercial or overt call-to-actionpage, above your proﬁle avatar. information in the cover photoImage size MUST BE: 851x315 pixels DON’T include contact information in the cover photo: keep it branded: simple, clean, stand-out DON’T reference Facebook features or desired actions of your followers DO make sure you comply with size specs DO make sure your pic is clear, well-lit DO consider a visual contrast with your avatar pic
125k likes....125,000 people are looking out for Taco Bell careeropportunities.They use photos via Instagram (now a Facebook mobileapp) to show photos of staff. It works a treat.And Facebook LOVES photos. Edgerank, Facebook’salgorithm, favours photos over all other categories ofposts.Other cool features:Regular content themes: ‘Things overheard in the ofﬁce’;‘Recipes for Success’.Staff get involved in content contribution.Cover photo is changed regularly.
Star posts & milestones...Star posts are used to showcase Taco Bell’s success & milestones. These can be pinned to the top of your timeline forgreater exposure. Star posts are assigned more value on the timeline & take up more space on your page real estate.
117k likes....117,000 people are looking out for Verizon career opportunities.Clever use of Apps & Views section.Custom tabs for 3 categories of candidates: campus, military & experienced.Each of these tabs offers something unique & different that attracts potential hires, and each includes job opportunitiesrelevant to that workforce group.
91k likes....91,000 people are looking out for EY careeropportunities.Facebook offers awesome page insights: something EYuses to really understand the demographics of their talentcommunity.They post content relevant to these peeps, they respondto them efﬁciently and meaningfully and they tailor theirstrategy around the information needs of their followers.This way, EY are retaining the interest of their communityand engaging them with relevant content & on-pageactivity.
76k likes....76,000 people are looking out for Boeing careeropportunities.Nice, simple proﬁle avatar. This is featured whenever apost is made or replied to so they’ve used this space to lettheir emblematic logo stand out.Cover photo is also amazing. The EVP is highlighted -‘Amazing people doing amazing things’. And, ‘Boeingemploys more than 170,00 people across the UnitedStates and across 70 countries’.
68k likes....68,000 people are looking out for Unilever careeropportunities.A stand-out feature here is the participation of staff in thepage content.Employees are your best assets, & Unilever reallydemonstrates their belief in this. They showcase the ‘heroof the week’ which gives the community an exclusive lookinto a day in the life of an employee and how they helpedshape the company.This involvement of staff unlocks the viral power of theirexisting talent communities & brand champions.
4. Attraction & engagement...Why do all these pages work? My FB talent peeps rock!!!Consistency in activity.Commitment to the Employee Value Proposition in allcontent & activity. ALL are compliant with Facebook best practices:Diversity of content: video, imagery, questions, questions,polls, competitions, company & role insights, Each of these companies are listening to their community.opportunities, laughter, education, conversation. They have a strategy in place that allows for change, involvement & community engagement.ALL are compliant with Facebook best practices: All of them are nurturing relationships. At every possibleThere’s a strategy in place, that’s SOCIAL BY DESIGN: opportunity. It’s impressive.‘social’ is embedded in everything they do, not tacked onat the end as an afterthought.The activity is integrated with ALL OTHER talentcommunity activity for the brands.Authentic in brand voice. FB is a platform to be clear &open about who you are. Not contrived or corporate inlanguage or image.It’s interactive. The community can’t help but get involved.They’ve all made their careers activity 2-way.
5. Factors for success....Images: visually engaging updates are incredibly important.Edgerank favours images ﬁrst, video & link posts second & copy posts third.
5. Factors for success....Drive preference & differentiation: Conversations create hype and broad user involvement. As this momentum builds, Facebook’s algorithm will pick1. Understand what your talent communities (existing & up on this activity & continue to rank it highly due to its prospective) think of your business reach & broadcast success.2. Deﬁne the gap between your current perception and So give your talent community something to talk about. and your Employer Brand’s desired perception of point of differentiation3. Launch an integrated brand building campaign to drive preference & differentiation - include Facebook ads, sponsored stories & promoted posts4. Think about how to integrate your Facebook activity into your EB marketing & communications, your website, mobile apps to make them more personal & unique5. Check in with your talent community to understand what is resonating and to steer your path accordingly
5. Factors for success....STEP 1: Build: STEP 2: Engage:Build your FB page. Creating these various FB touchpoints both within and outside of Facebook allows you to start building yourThis creates an identity for your careers efforts in the talent community.social graph - the map of connections amongst people onthe web, and the things they care about. Consider Facebook ‘like’ ads. They’re a quick and cost effective way of building a tribe of interestedLink your page to your physical ofﬁce locations. peeps.Use social plugins across your other online assets; engage Publishing & engaging in conversations will allow you towith FB Apps to create better social experiences involving deepen relationships whilst also gaining valuable insights.your offer as an employer. Make it meaningful &personalised.STEP 3: Amplify:Every time someone interacts with your careers page, it gets published in both their and your news feed, creating word ofmouth. These organic stories are extremely effective in getting a broader community to participate, engage and take action.Facebook ads include the names of friends who have already connected with your business, so the network recognises thetacit brand endorsement. Sponsored stories enable you to increase distribution of your careers news feed.This earned media gives you greater scale & community involvement. Every campaign you run has lasting impact via therelationships you build along the way. This is modern day word of mouth.
6. Facebook Apps....The purpose of timeline apps is to encourage a diverstiyof activity with your Facebook talent community.Apps provide a fantastic way of differentiating theexperience of your page, for your community.Some of the best App experiences include:- Good Reads: sharing knowledge about great books- Instagram: photo sharing - a must for Facebook careers activity- Viddy: a great App for video streaming. Like Instagram for video content.- Poll: the perfect app to learn of the mindset of prospective talent- Facebook promotions: an App for contests, sweepstakes and competitions with your community
7. Crazy Facebook Facts....In 20 minutes, 1,000,000 links are shared on FacebookIn 20 minutes, 10.2million comments are posted1 in every 13 people on earth is on Facebook Vatican city has 20 Facebook users..... WTF??700billion minutes a month are spent on FacebookMore than 70 translations are available on FacebookAl Pacino’s face was the original Facebook homepageIn 20 minutes, 2,716,000 photos are shared on Facebook50% of Facebook users logon every dayThe average user creates 90 pieces of content a dayThe average user has 130 friendsEvery month over 250million people engage withFacebook from external sitesIf Facebook were a country, it would be the 3rd largestFacebook was initially bankrolled by the founder ofPayPal, Peter ThielA Facebook employee hoodie sold on eBay for $4k
Remember... In summary... Pics & videos: heaps of them It’s the best source of passive talent on the web Apps: competitions, polls, events, sharing.Vary the The 3 key elements you need to remember & apply: experience for your talent community. BUILD: in & outside of FB apps, places, the works! Involve your staff. ENGAGE: relevant, meaningful content. Entice! Share important & memorable moments AMPLIFY: make it sharable.Viral is key! Keep it real: personal, human & brand compliant! Listen, listen, listen. Plan the content strategy & timing Optimise your page SEO. http://www.twylah.com/CroaghieThanks for joining us... @Croaghie
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.