The only profession that has been left to be done
(people with no training) is
The only profession that has been
left to be done by amateurs
(people with no training) is
Limits without Freedom.
• Parents are very controlling.
• Punishment for breaking rules.
• Praise are rarely given
• Strict obedience is expected.
• Children are instructed everything.
• Not High Achievers
Freedom without limits
• Parents shower extra love.
• No discipline is observed.
• Parents make few demands.
• Rarely punish
• Non controlling, non-demanding
• Least self—reliant
• Least self-controlled
• Least exploratory
• Most unhappy
Freedom within limits.
• Middle ground between the two above
• Parents set limits and enforce rules
• Loving, consistent, demanding
• Combine control with encouragement.
• Reasonable expectations and realistic
• Prioritize things.
• List things to be done –TWM method.
• Do things together…sms while watching tv
• Use hands free while talking on mobile.
• Fix time for children daily
• Fix family time on weekends
• Stick to schedules.
• Learn to say “NO”
• Study environment at home
• Supervise studies
• Cooperate teachers and school
• Choose good school and tuitions
• Encourage kids
• Accept failure maturely.
• Never take away hope from children
• Sensitively responding to the child’s needs
(rather than ignoring their signals)
• Encouraging desirable behaviour and strengths
(rather than just stopping undesirable behaviour)
• Setting firm limits consistently and calmly,
supervising what they are doing and with whom
(rather than exploding unpredictably, not knowing)
• Transmitting caring values that respect others
(rather than allowing rudeness and selfishness)
T O P IC S
• PARENTING STYLES
• GOOD PARENTING TIPS
• PARENTING MISTAKES
• NEW TRENDS IN PARENTING
• CHILDHOOD PSY. DISORDERS
Parents are the best sex health
educators for their children
• Its a myth that if they know it they will do it.
• When? Better a year earlier than minute later
• Seek “teachable moments”
• What? Common sense is the best guide
• Trust yourself –you can talk as well as teach
your kid about sex
(attention deficit hyperactivity
• Extreme restlessness
• Complaints from school about inattention
• Interrupting others while talking
• Breaking things
• Has to instructed repeatedly
• Cannot complete any task fully
• Poor performance at school
• Beats siblings/irritable at times
Anxiety disorders/ Phobias
• Shyness in public/strangers
• Embarrassed in groups,start sweating.
• Avoids going out in groups
• Fear of being judged.
• Hate being centre of attention.
• Depressed mood
• Lack of good sleep
• Poor memory and concentration
• Poor hunger
• Crying excessively
• Thoughts of suicide
• Writing problems
• Reading problems
• Normal intelligence children
• “Taare zameen par”- Dyslexia
• One of the most important things to
remember as a parent is to be yourself. You can
only use those methods with which you feel
comfortable. A child can spot a fake a mile away.
Select the methods that you believe in, that you
feel comfortable with, and then be consistent.
• The truth of the matter is that only you can
decide how good of a parent you’re going to
be and until you come to realize that truth
within yourself, no amount of good parenting
tips you get from anyone else will be of use to