1. EFFECTS OF ADULTERATION AND MALNUTRITION AMONG GROWING CHILDREN “A SOUND MIND IN A SOUND BODY” “PREVENTION IS BETTER THEN CURE”These are well known Adage . Food is vital to our existence on this beautiful earth .From the time that we are babies ,we need food (ie) nutritious food to growstrong ,Healthy food is elixir for healthy body. Now -a-days school students health is affected because of adult ration and malnutrition. Though the children intake five basic nutritions (carbohydrates , protiens ,fats , vitamins and minerals) adulteration in that food creates side affects which affects their growth .So our team members decided to create awareness among students.
2. REASONS FOR CHOOSING THIS PROBLEM :1) Most of our class children often suffer from stomach pain , indigestion , breathing problem, leg ,hand and knee pain.2) ) Most of our students fail to have appropriate weight and height in proportion to their age.3)Some of the students don’t know the importance of healthy and nutritious food so they take junk food and think it as good one but it really affect their health.
3. ACTION TAKEN: 1)We planned to create awareness about adulteration among our students. so we do some experiments on our science lab .There we identified the adulterated food .Then we prepare a chart which shows ingredients which are mixed in the food and how they affected our health.
5. 2) We taught some simple testing methods to find adulteration in the food and encouraged our students to do that in home.3)We approached self help group members and conducted a meeting ,There we explained the effects of adulteration to our parents . We insist them to check whether adulterants are present in the groceries are not.4) We advised our students to check the grocery items and identify whether they are adulterated or not ,If it is adulterated we advised them to return the items to the shopkeeper and buy good one.5)We explained the importance of nutritious food and how malnutrition affect their growth.6)We prepared the chart ( ie) how much calories does the child need per day and gave this chart to each student . Everyday they mark what type of nutrients they eat and its gram(approximately) in the chart.
7. 7)We insisted our students to take balanced food daily .8)Some of the students don’t eat the egg ,vegetables, and cereals which are given in the noon-meal everyday . So we appoint a monitor and he checks the students whether they are eating or not .9)Most of the students spend their pocket money in buying sweet , chocolate and other junk food .So we explained the effects of junk food and how it affects growth . Instead of buying these we convinced them to buy some healthy food like fruits, groundnuts, cucumber, and so on.10)We ordered our school students to bring fruits , raw vegetables (carrot, cucumber , groundnuts) instead of junk food.
8. 11)We called our primary health care centre doctor to lecture on “food you need “ .There he explained how youngsters are attracted towards junk food. He also explained how media induces us to buy these.13)We conducted a “FOOD FESTIVAL” program in our school .Variety of healthy foods along with the placards showing its nutritional value are exhibited in the stall. This creates awareness among students .14) We approached our panchayat president and pleaded him to arrange a wholesome meals to our students at no cost for one day.15)We gave a monthly checkup card to each students and note their weight two months once . We also advised them to write their physical illness (if any )in it.
9. RESULT:1)Most of the students overcome from the stomach pain ,leg ,hand ,knee pain after taking healthy and calcium rich foods.2)They check the adulteration in the food by conducting simple test.3)They tend to eat wholesome for meals . Their weight started to increase gradually after taking nutritious food.4)No of students fallen ill decreased.5)Students spend their pocket money by buying fruits and healthy foods.
10. CONCLUSION: Food is related to health and wellbeing .Good food is well balanced that gives our body all that it needs . It is directly linked with growth but adulteration and malnutrition affects youngsters growth. So we create awareness among students in this area . Now students get the power to make right choice to select their healthy food.
11. checking the height-weight balance among school children in the medicalcamp
12. Green vegetables for soundhealth
13. Food festival at school forstudents.
14. Nature food for good health
15. Food festival conducted at school visitedby ourdistrict educational officer.
16. Team measuring the weight ofstudent for showing the imorovement
17. School students having wholesome mealsat food festival conducted at school