Measuring the impact of educational technology finalPresentation Transcript
Measuring the impact of
Dianne Marshall - Program Director, DER-NSW
NSW Department of Education & Training
What have we done?
• $442 million Australian Government funded initiative
• 260,000 laptops to Year 9 to Year 12 students (15 to 18 year olds).
Commencing with each group of Year 9 students.
• 25,000 NSW government funded teacher laptops.
• Low Total Cost of Ownership wireless
networks, take home rights
• 571 full time equivalent Technology Support Officers
• $28 million for professional learning & curriculum support
• Evaluation commenced at beginning of program. Data used to 2
guide development, measure and report on success
“Technology does not directly
change teaching or learning.
Rather, the critical element is how
technology is incorporated into
(Bracewell and Faferriere (1996)
What change do we want to
and attitudes of
They are measured by...
Movement up the LoTi Scale
Progression from eReader
Development into Prosumer
They are not measured by...
Hits on Websites
Broadband Usage Statistics
Time spent on Laptop
Numbers of Laptops in Class
DER-NSW Longitudinal Evaluation
Three primary research questions
What are the
How does the
What is the consequences
influence of the of the DER-NSW
DER-NSW program on
program on students’
Conducted in association with the University of Wollongong.
For more information