Measuring the impact of
• $442 million Australian Government funded initiative
• 260,000 laptops to Year 9 to Year 12 students (15 to 18 year olds).
Commencing with each group of Year 9 students.
• 25,000 NSW government funded teacher laptops.
• Low Total Cost of Ownership wireless
networks, take home rights
• 571 full time equivalent Technology Support Officers
• $28 million for professional learning & curriculum support
• Evaluationcommenced at beginning of program. Data used to
guide development, measure and report on success
What have we done?
“Technology does not directly
change teaching or learning.
Rather, the critical element is how
technology is incorporated into
(Bracewell and Faferriere (1996)
and attitudes of
What change do we want to
They are not measured by...
Hits on Websites
Broadband Usage Statistics
Time spent on Laptop
Numbers of Laptops in Class
Three primary research questions
How does the
What is the
influence of the
What are the
of the DER-NSW
Conducted in association with the University of Wollongong.
DER-NSW Longitudinal Evaluation
For more information