Finals of Quiz of the Month April 2012 by Sarathy and Murali
THE MAJORGENERAL QUIZ -GRAND FINALETHE QUIZZANTHROPIST & SHELDON SARATHY
Le RULES & le ROUNDS• 6 FINALISTS• 1 THEME ROUND• 30 QUESTIONS• A-Z (after first 15)• After 15, we go counter clockwise• MVC ( after 30 questions)• INFY BOUNCE – (10 FOR DIRECT , 10 FOR PASS )• POUNCE – ( STANDARD POINTS +10 / - 10 )• PART POINTS ON QUIZMASTER’S DISCRETION
10 MOVIES , 5 pts each , MAXSCORE of 50 possible8 PICS on slide 12 PICS on slide 2
• 1. PASSION OF THE CHRIST• 2. THE TERMINATOR• 3. E.T• 4. JURASSIC PARK• 5. ROBOCOP• 6. LOTR• 7. GHOSTBUSTERS• 8. THE BREAKFAST CLUB• 9. GREASE• 10. DIE HARD
1)A Norwegian athlete Tony Andre Hansen was stripped ofhis bronze medal , which he had won in the Beijing 2008Olympics on doping charges .However, surprisingly, despite testing negative for allbanned substances , the decision still stood .PUT FUNDA
•NICOLE KIDMANDr. Chase Meridian, VirginiaWoolf, Keith Urban , Tom Cruise
3)The X music video reached ninth place in Business Insiderstop ten viral videos of April 2011, with 7.2 million totalviews. The original YouTube video has received over 65million views as of February 24, 2012. Due to itspopularity, many new remixes and cover versions havebeen made, some hours long. There are alsoringtones, wallpapers and applications created foroperating systems including Windows7, Nokia, iPhone, iPad, Android, HP webOS and WindowsPhone 7. ID the name of this you tube video , whichbecame an internet meme later on. The video is currentlyranked number 5 on the list of most viewed You Tubevideos in 2011 .
4)The " X " (phrase) is a song by jazz pianist Bennie Moten, referring to an advanced form of confidence gameemploying misdirection, subterfuge, and playing on the"marks" arrogance and/or self-loathing and that therelevance to a direction stated at the beginning of asituation has no bearing on the outcome. In popculture, the X was used the primary plot device in a 2006crime thriller film, where one of the characters in themovie says that the X is when " everybody looks right andyou go left" . Gimme X.
5)• Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Haversham XY , an English topographer, geologist and surveyor , is distinguished for his researches on the natural history of India. He has authored a book titled, The Land and Freshwater Mollusca of India . He was also an ornithologist, writing the book "Birds of Assam ". Now, what honour was bestowed upon this man ?
7) • The guy on the picture is Nikhil Kamath, who is a Bollywood Music director . He was in the news quite recently, for certain songs that he had composed for X , helping him out during his successful ________. Gimme X
8)• X is the use of real-time 3D computer graphics rendering engines to create a cinematic production. Most often, video games are used to generate the computer animation. The practice of using graphics engines from video games arose from the animated software introductions of the 1990s recordings of gameplay in FPS video games, such as id Softwares Doom and Quake. Originally, these recordings documented speed runs—attempts to complete a level as quickly as possible—and multiplayer matches. The addition of storylines to these films created the "Quake movies". The term X arose when the concept spread beyond the Quake series to other games and software. ID X , which is a portmanteau of two other words .
9)“X “ is a popular phrase in the corporate worldthat originated in Britain in the mid 1960s, referring to a clause in an executive employmentcontract, where the top executives of thecompany are offered equities, cash or otherbenefits, if they happen to lose their job, eitherthrough firing, restructuring or scheduledretirement. Gimme the good phrase X .
10)X has become an important part of the Lewis and Clark (theLewis and Clark expedition fame) legend in the American publicimagination. The National American Woman SuffrageAssociation of the early twentieth century adopted her as asymbol of womens worth and independence, erecting severalstatues and plaques in her memory, and doing much to spreadthe story of her accomplishments. In 2000, the United StatesMint issued the X dollar coin in her honor, depicting X and herson, Jean Baptiste Charbonneau.In pop culture , Mizou Peck has played her role in twocommercially successful films , one in 2006 and then its sequelin 2009 .ID X
11)• On November 16th 2010 , this 30 year old Taiwanese office worker Chen Wei Yih , did something very bizarre and unheard of hitherto. She claimed then, that she did it to spread an important message to all the single ladies of Taipei . What did she do ?
• ONLY FIVE TO HAVE WON BEST ACTOR /BEST ACTRESS (OSCAR) & WORST ACTOR/WORST ACTRESS (RAZZIE)
13)X was launched in 1993 by Dr. Simon King, a Britishresearcher at the University of Minnesota with help fromstudents and researchers at universities around the world.It initially operated as a volunteer-based collective, andstarted life as a simple Internet Relay Chat bot. It was soonmade available via Gopher as well, and with the advent ofthe Mosaic web browser in April 1993 became one of theearliest content web sites on the Internet. Regular columnson X are " All Todays Yesterdays" ," on this day "and "Quote Unquote " . ID X.
14)• The term X was widely popular in the early 1990s, especially in the Soviet Union created as a pun on Mikhael Gorbachevs reform policy Perestroika . Critics believed this to be a hollow advertising campaign aimed at furthering the sales of Y , who were the ones responsible for the term X . Met with marginal success alright , X did however establish a link between western consumerism and the soviet policy which had been oblivious till then . Just gimme X .
15)• This is a bronze statue of John Harvard, found in front of the University hall of the most prestigious Harvard University. There is an inscription at the bottom of this statue which says ‘John Harvard, Founder, 16 38′. The students of Harvard, however call it the “Statue of three lies “, for a particular reason . GIVE FUNDA
• Lie 1 – this is a 19th century student of Harvard• Lie2 – Harvard was an early financial contributor and not the founder• Lie 3 – Founded in 1636 not 1638
A2Z ROUND• 26 ANSWERS REQUIRED• 2.5 MARKS PER ANSWER• BONUS 20 IF U CRACK 22 -26 ANSWERS• MAX OBTAINABLE SCORE IS 85 POINTS
A , who acted in the 2003 superhero film adaptation B , isrelated to cricketer C . C represented the team D during the firsttwo seasons of the IPL . D is owned by E , who is believed tohave played the role of F in a blockbuster movie G .B , also featured H , who won the Academy award (his onlyoscar) for best supporting actor for the movie I in 1987 . I stars Jin the leading role, who portrayed K in the movie I . K , is said tohave been the only real life character ever to have beenmentioned in Ls works . An animated version of L makes acameo appearance at the start of a famous 2011 performancecapture film, directed by M. M created and released the N seriesof games in 1999 , which continues to be a sensation in its genreof gameplay .
• In 1985, M had directed O , which was an adaptation of a Pulitzer prize winning novel of the same name . P and Q , both made their film debuts with O . P is the current CEO of Harpo productions , while Q made a mark at the Academy , with a win in a supporting role for the movie ghost (1990). Ghost featured R , who separated from her third husband, S in 2011 . S currently stars in the hit Sitcom T , having replaced U .• U had his first major role in the Vietnam war drama V (1986) , directed by W . W has also famously directed a 1991 biopic about a rock band of the 1970s titled X , with the onus on the lead singer of X . Y has had minor roles in both V and X , but is more famously known for a pivotal role in the hit dramedy series Z , which concluded in 2011 .
ANSWERS• A- NASSEERUDDIN SHAH• B – THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN• C – OWAIS SHAH• D- KKR• E- SRK• F – MIR RANJAN NEGI• G- CHAK DE INDIA• H – SEAN CONNERY• I – THE UNTOUCHABLES• J- ROBERT DE NIRO• K- AL CAPONE• L- HERGE
• M- STEVEN SPIELBERG• N- MEDAL OF HONOR• O- COLOR OF PURPLE• P – OPRAH WINFREY• Q- WHOOPI GOLDBERG• R – DEMI MOORE• S- ASHTON KUTCHER• T- 2 AND A HALF MEN• U- CHARLIE SHEEN• V- PLATOON• W – OLIVER STONE• X – THE DOORS• Y – KEVIN DILLON• Z- ENTOURAGE
16)X is an annual celebration , started in 2002, held in eitherMarch or April and mainly sponsored by the Canadiancompany Y and the Cosmopolitan magazine .According to Samantha Paterson, the brand manager for Y,the X was started according to a design to solemnisewomens independence and power in all facets of life, fromtheir careers to their relationships to their own destiny .She further goes on to say that the day is intended to belighthearted amusement but that the gross revenue wouldbe donated to the Sunflower fund, an NGO located in CapeTown , to help fight leukaemia and other life threateningdiseases.
19)Andrew Schlafly , in 2006, created X afterbecoming concerned about the blatant liberal biascontained in Ys viewpoints. He expressed hopethat X would become a general resource forAmerican educators and a counterpoint to theaforementioned bias of Y.ID X and Y (part points)
22)The first Xs appeared in the early 1860s and 1870s, in theUnited States . Instead of being powered by any form ofelectric motor at that time, a stream of running water wasused in conjunction with a turbine, to drive a system of beltswhich would turn the blades of the 2 blade X units . Theelectrically powered X, though was first invented in 1882 byPhilip Deihl. He continued to make improvements to hisinvention calling it the "Diehl Electrolier" which was a light kitfitted to the X to combine two functions in one unit.What is this X we are talking about ?
23)• One speculative theory about the origin of the word X , is that it is derived from the guttural tongue of Star Treks Klingon language .• Another theory , regards the word origin of X as merely a variant of a commonplace english word Y which means " being lively or energetic" .• Urban Dictionary , on the other hand, lists X as a much more updated and cooler way to say Y .• ID X in pop culture.
24 )• X was used as a truth serum by the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), a US government intelligence agency formed during World War II. In the early 1940s, it was the most effective truth drug developed at the OSS labs at St. Elizabeths Hospital. It caused a subject "to be loquacious and free in his impartation of information." In May 1943, Major George Hunter White, head of OSS counter-intelligence operations in the US, arranged a meeting with Augusto Del Gracio, an enforcer for gangster Lucky Luciano. Del Gracio was given spikes of X and subsequently talked openly about Lucianos heroin operation. On a second occasion the dosage was increased such that Del Gracio passed out for two hours . ID X
25)• Mark II was an early electromechanical computer used in the US Navy. On September 9, 1947, when the operators were using the computer to perform calculations, it gave the wrong results. To find out what was going wrong, they opened the computer and looked inside . And there they found a moth stuck inside the computer, which had caused the malfunction .• What has this incident given rise to in modern day parlance ?
26)• It is often claimed incorrectly that X’s (term) etymological origin lies in a law that limited the maximum thickness of a stick with which it was permissible for a man to beat his wife.• Another potential theory is that it comes from beer brewing before the invention of thermometers, when brewers would use their ________ to measure the temperature of batches of beer .• What phrase is X ?
• KERRY PACKER / ADVENT OF WORLD SERIES CRICKET
28)• X suggested the following alternative to the regulation penalty shootout to FIFA :-“Count the number of times each goalkeeper touches theball throughout the game. The team whose goalkeeper hastouched the ball more often is the loser. The winner willthen be the team that has had more attempts at scoringgoals and is more aggressive (and therefore exciting) intheir style of play. “X is a famous physician, author, inventor and consultant .
• This is a concept car launched by an IT Major Z in collaboration with West Coast Custom , the world famous luxury automotive restyling center based in Corona, California .• There is built-in Wi-Fi, heads-up displays with augmented reality in the windshield, Kinect sensors at the rear and front of the car, and even a Windows 8-powered touchscreen digital instrument cluster. Z has also packed in Ford Sync, an Xbox 360, and a rear windshield projector screen. Windows Phone plays a part in the car tech too, you can locate, unlock, and start the car from a Windows Phone app, and even talk into the phone to broadcast your voice to the outside of the car.• ID this concept car which was recently aired on March 25th on Discovery’s Velocity Network .
• Exclusive list• 7 clues , points starting from 35 ( for the 1st clue) and moving to 5 ( for the last clue)• Negatives ( starting from -18 & decrementing with 3 with every clue )• No Negatives for the 7th clue• One guess per clue allowed only