CONNECTING RESEARCH AND RESEARCHERSCrossRef Annual Meeting14 November 2012 Laurel L. Haak, PhD Executive Director, ORCID firstname.lastname@example.org https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5109-3700 http://orcid.org @ORCID_Org
The Problem: ConnectingResearch with ResearchersWithout a way to discretely identify those participating inresearch across disciplines, organizations, and countries,the research community lacks the ability toaccurately and easily identify and link researchersand scholars with their professional activities. 2
ORCID Scope & principles• ORCID provides a central registry of persistent, unique and open identifiers for active researchers and scholars• Adoption encouraged by embedding within research workflows (institutions, funders, publishers)• An ORCID record requires basic information (name, email) and can be enhanced with additional information (affiliations, degrees, digital objects, other identifiers)• Records can be created by individuals AND organizations; proxy management supported• Privacy is controlled by the individual (opt-in)• ORCID is a open initiative and we enable third parties to build value added services using ORCID infrastructure 3
ORCID Registry LaunchedOctober 16, 2012For Individuals• Public Registry – Create an ORCID iD and search the Registry• Create an ORCID Record, link iD to other identifier schemes and synch data, and enhance iD with information on research activitiesFor Member Organizations• Updated APIs / XML• Create iDs for employees and students• Trusted relationship management to share information
The ORCIDhttps://orcid.org/0000-0001-5109-3700• 16-digit number• Expressed as an HTTP URI• Compatible with ISO 277729 standard• Last character is a checksum (ISO/IEC 7064:2006, MOD 11,2)
For benefits to be realized…Researchers must see the benefit of creating ORCID iDResearchers must create or claim ORCID AccountOther research information systems must embed ORCIDIDs and link back with ORCID to synchronize and updateresearch activity data
ORCID Users and MembersThree weeks after launch, ORCID had 15,728 registered usersand 22 member organizations—funders, research organizations,associations, publishers, and third-party developers. JISC haveendorsed ORCID for UK adoption, and we are working withother countries and national ID schemes to crosslink ORCID iDs. 8
ORCID iDs are being embeddedv Publishers actively integrating ORCID in manuscript submission systems: Nature, Hindawi, Copernicus, Epistemio, Wiley-Blackwell, APS, APAv Research Organizations testing integration approaches: Caltech, Boston University, NYU SOM, MSKCCv Research Funders exploring ORCID implementation Wellcome Trust, NIH, CIHRv Vendors including ORCID iDs in systems: Aries Systems, eJournal Press, Scholar One, AVEDAS, Symplecticv Third Party Systems embedding ORCID iDs in researcher profile and ID systems: Scopus, Researcher ID, Faculty of 1000, figshare, KNODE, Impact Story
Example Workflowsv Linking to other ID and importing publicationsv Linking to author recordv Embedding in manuscript submissionv Consuming data to generate usage statistics 11
1. Linking to other IDsLinking to an external ID can help an ORCID user quicklyset up a record by importing their research worksmetadata. A wizard can be implemented for the user toreview and confirm the works associated with the ID, andthen import the list to their ORCID record. Any changesmade can also be collected by the ID provider to correctinternal databases.
1. Click on “Import” onORCID Record Page2. Select external ID to linkto ORCID (not shown)3. Approve data transfer
2. Link Author Record to ORCID 1. The user clicks the ORCID link to update their Author Account.
2. The user signsin or registerson ORCID 3. The user authorizes Hindawi MTS client app to access ORCID data.
4. The user is redirected to Update Account page, now with ORCID ID displayed.Coming….• When an author publishes an articles with Hindawi his/her list of publications on ORCID will be updated with the new article.• Adding a Link on Author page pointing to the ORCID Record.• While submitting a paper an author will be able to search for his/her co-authors on ORCID.
3. Integration in manuscriptsubmission process On nature.com and in NPG eJournal Press manuscript submission system users can create or link to an ORCID ID. Clicking on “create” takes a user to ORCID Registry.
1. Register on ORCID2. Authorize data transfer 3. After authorization ORCID is attached in NPG database and is not editable by user
NPG Customer Service can search using ORCID iD
Corresponding authorcan create or link to an ORCID iD via NPG eJournal Press MTS system Coming… • Corresponding author can search for co- authors using ORCID iD
Coming…• Corresponding author can search for co- authors using ORCID iD
Need more information?• Find out more about at http://about.orcid.org• Membership information at http://about.orcid.org/membership• Learn more about tools to embed ORCID IDs at http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/114746-explore- the-api-with-tools-and-consoles• Follow @ORCID_Org on Twitter and ORCID news blog• Contact the ORCID Executive Director at email@example.com 29
AppendicesPublic APIMember API: POST, GET PUT 30
Public API: Read / QueryNo specific permission is needed; no access token required Name Param Request Description Bio orcid_id orcid-bio (or Given a contributor, give me name blank) and affiliation data. Activities orcid_id orcid-activities Given a contributor, tell me what research activities they have contributed to. Full orcid_id orcid-record Given a contributor, tell me his/her bio and research activities Search search [search terms] Given search criteria, give me a ranked list of contributor and their bios
Member API: Append and CreateActivity Method Request Scope Expires InAdd a Research POST /[orcid_id]/ /orcid-activities/ 1 hourActivity orcid-activities createAdd an External POST /[orcid_id]/ /orcid-bio/external- 1 hourIdentifier orcid-bio/ identifiers/create external- identifiersCreate a new POST /orcid-profile /orcid-record/ WhenORCID Record (forinstitution members For employer create only revokedemployers only) by ORCID
Member API: Read and UpdateRequires Access Token: Authenticate information sent in HTTP headerActivity Method Request Scope Expires InRead Entire GET /[orcid_id]/ orcid-record/ When revokedRecord orcid-record read-limited by userRead Bio GET /[orcid_id]/ /orcid-bio/read- When revoked orcid-bio limited by userRead Research GET /[orcid_id]/ /orcid-activities/ When revokedActivities orcid-activities read-limited by userRead Public GET /[orcid_id]/* /read-public When revokedInfo by ORCIDUpdate Bio PUT /[orcid_id]/ /orcid-bio/ 5 min orcid-bio updateUpdate PUT /[orcid_id]/ /orcid-activities/ 5 minResearch orcid-activities updateActivities