1. Business Model Canvas meets Lean Startup Lean Startup meetup Wellington, NZ 20 July 2012 by Michael Elwood-Smith, Creative HQ Acknowledgements to: • businessmodelgeneration.com • Alex Osterwalder et al • Steve Blank , Bob Dorf • Eric Ries
2. Why? Great product ≠ business successNo business plan survives first customer contact Revenue is the life-blood of a business High-growth, investable businesses need a repeatable, scalable business model (make money, be profitable, grow)
3. Business Model Canvas Introduction
4. There are no facts inside the building, so get outside...
5. How? • Use the Canvas as a scorecard to track progress in search for a business model • Update Canvas weekly with new insight – highlight changes in RED • As you accept changes integrate to Canvas by changing to BLACK • Repeat with new changesRef: Steve Blank, “The Startup Owner’s Manual” in RED
7. Tools• A3 Paper & Post-its• iPad – Business Model Toolbox • Includes business model calculator • http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/toolbox• www.LeanCanvas.com – Collaborative plus experiment trackingAction for Startup Weekend: Signup to Lean Canvas
8. More infowww.Steveblank.comCreating Startup Success 101 http://www.slideshare.net/sblank/successful- entrepreneurship-1Lean LaunchPad http://i245.stanford.edu/