2. Population of the United States 310,561,080 (about 310 million) Population of India 1,139,964,932 (over 1 billion)Think about how big India is in relation to the U.S.What happens when there are many people in a smallarea of land?India has the world’s largest child population.How does this relate to education and school?
3. LORETO HOUSE, KOLKATAMake a connection to Chapin.
4. VASANT VALLEY, NEW DELHIWhat are you thinking?
5. DELHI PUBLIC SCHOOL, NEW DELHIWhat are you observing?
6. LORETO HOUSE, KOLKATA Class ThreeWhat do you notice about this classroom? Can you do this..? What makes this quality work? What is expected from students?
7. What are they learning?
8. Reasons why millions of children in India do not goto school…• Too often schools in India do not have enough facilitiesfor every child.• Some families cannot afford to pay for school supplies.• For others, the nearest school is just too far away.• Many children have to work to earn money to help theirfamilies survive. Some children (mostly girls) have to stayhome to look after their younger brothers and sisters.
9. Schools in India are as different as the students who attend them. In India, “school” can be a city classroom, a mountaintop, a tent in the desert, a railway platform, or even a stationary bus. Lessons are taught in just as many different ways. Students learn from the environments they live in.
10. Mobile School
11. Desert School
12. How do they get to school?
13. Often, Indian children travel great distancesto get to school.They walk, ride bicycles, travel in groups, sit on eachother’s laps in cycle rickshaws, or travel in buses. How do you get to school? How far do you travel?
14. What do students eat at school?For every 30 miles of travel (half an hour by car) in India,you would change the language you speak!If you traveled 100 miles at lunchtime, and stoppedfor lunch at 3 different schools, what are the chancesthat you would eat the same type of food? What is this?
15. What did you learn? What did you find interesting? What questions do you have?What is one similarity and one difference between schoolin India and school in the United States?