1. A/V in CURATEcamp AVpres 2013 April 19, 2013 via Google hangout and Youtube Courtney C. Mumma, MAS/MLIS,Archivematica Product Manager and Systems Analyst
2. What is Archivematica?● digital preservation/curation system● designed to maintain standards-based, long- term access to collections of digital objects● uses a micro-services design pattern● free and open-source (AGPLv3)● supported by Artefactual Systems Inc.
3. What is Archivematica?● allows users to process digital objects from ingest to access in conformance with the ISO-OAIS functional model● creates high-quality, standards-compliant Archival Information Packages (AIP)● provides – an architecture for implementing preservation strategies – a framework for evaluating and implementing format policies
4. ` monitor and control web MCP micro-service server server processing clients fileshare digital curation AIP micro-services success watched directory error DIP web-based dashboard python FOSS scripts tools transfer of or digital objects SIP & metadata
5. Preservation planning● a two-pronged approach: – Normalization on ingest – Preservation of the original file to support future strategies such as migration and emulation● normalization relies on format policies based on an analysis of the significant characteristics of file formats ● A format policy indicates the actions, tools and settings to apply to a file of a particular file format (e.g. normalization to preservation and/or access format)
6. Archivematica format policies● criteria for selecting default formats: ● Non-proprietary ● Freely available specifications ● Widely used/endorsed by major repositories ● No compression/lossless compression ● Tools available to write and render the format● format policies will change as community standards, practices and tools evolve.● upcoming Format Policy Registry (FPR) will allow users to add local format policies, download defaults/ updates and monitor statistics
7. Video in Archivematica● Preservation Format – FFV1/PCM in Matroska wrapper (MKV) ● FFV1 a completely lossless video codec ● Matroska (pronounced maTROSHka) is an open standard free video container format which can hold a large number of video and audio codecs● Access Format – MPEG-1/MP2● Normalization tool – FFmpeg
8. Motion JPEG 2000 (MJPEG2K)● emerging as a preferred format for video files● great example of how FPR could be used to add format policies● encoding JPEG2000-MXF video (added to wiki by Misty de Meo) – can be added as default workflow to local implementtion – can be shared via the future FPR – statistics about normalization results recorded – possible future default for Archivematica
9. PRONOMFormat PolicyRegistry (FPR) UDFR API GUI ?
10. More information● Video: https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/Video● Format policies: https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/Format_policies● Format policy registry (FPR): https://www.archivematica.org/wiki/Format_policy_r