On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
The General Atlantic Spend Management Journey
• It started small, and has taken over
• Becoming more strategic
• Measurable Results
The Coupa Suite – A Platform for all spend
• We do more than buy
• How to strategically expand your spend foot print
• Why Spend needs to be looked at
General Atlantic – Our Journey
Expense Management – Get rid of the paper!
• How do we do this easy, fast and now
Let‟s Go Global!
• Let‟s get everyone involved
• We need to become more strategic
• Adoption and expansion of platform = visibility
In search of an expense solution…
First Goal: A product & partner that fits our business needs
• Easy and fast to implement
– Live in 3 Months with integration
• Most Importantly: Easy to use and drive adoption
– Users love it
• We are special, how can this solution fit “us”
– Business Owned - Customizable vs. Configurable
• Getting it right with Amex Reconciliation
– Make this easy and ease our pain, Coupa got it right
• The platform Vision: In it for the long haul
– Coupa‟s innovation and ability to execute has been the key to our growth
Ease of use was critical to go international
• Training was minimal
– Self Taught or learning from a co-worker
• Summer of 2013: Brazil, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Munich,
– Only took a week per location!
– Minimal resources – Myself and a few Executive Assistants
• Ease of use made it frictionless and adoption natural
Make it Local
to store paper?
We don‟t procure…do we?
Needed to move from tactical to strategic
• Got rid of paper, but how do we leverage the platform more
– Visibility into spend allows us to leverage catalogs and contracts
• Many processes for complex requests needing workflow
– Users love it
– Making the process simple with a Coupa Web Form.
– Live January 2014 and 150+ vendors on board and increasing weekly
– Approval workflow adoption easy for everyone
– Requests & Purchase Orders are now Popular!
From: Brown, Precious
Sent: Monday, April07, 2014 9:17 AM
To: Maiolo, John
Subject:RE: Coupa Purchase Order process
I like the Coupa process better; it’s straight to the point and easier.
In Sales force the process seems delayed and complicated. Thank you for taking the time to show me. You
have made my life much easier!
From: Maiolo, John
Sent: Monday, April07, 2014 9:13 AM
To: Brown, Precious
Subject:Coupa Purchase Order process
Just following up on the process I showed you last week, ordering the cubicle rebuild for the new associate on
the 32nd floor. Can you tell me what you thought of the process compared SF?
Most importantly, I saw that Tom and Manny approved, now you can print he PO and send it to Arenson.
Analyze to Optimize
Our Initial goals and continued implementation.
Spend Analytics and more to come.
One Platform Global Solution
Ease of use
Optimize Cash Flow Streamline Process
Expense Reports Being Submitted Faster
• Jan „14, 72% of expense reports submitted with in 15 days, an improvement
from 15% the prior year
• Jan‟13 expense report was 42 days, Jan‟14 is only 17 days.
• For the first time in many years, 100% of prior year expense reports were
submitted by Jan 31st
Improved Financial Reporting
• Speed of expenses plus tight integration to Great Plains has improved,
controls and visibility
Invoicing Paper Reduction
• Reduced Paper because of Coupa email invoicing
• Increased adoption of Coupa supplier network
• Email intensive processes now handled with Coupa Webforms
From: B, Priscilla
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:26 PM
To: Maiolo, John
Happy New Year! I just wanted to let you know that I‟m working on expenses again (never
ending) and I can already see GREAT changes in Coupa. Wow! It‟s easier to use than
last month and has better categories already. You guys are making my work life so
exciting and manageable. Thank you!
228 Hamilton Ave., FL 2
Palo Alto, CA 94301
0-60MPH…”Make People Happy”
Spend Happens: Capture It
Coupa‟s Unified Platform
Coupa is only solution that organically captures all three
Why treat spend differently?
SPEND IS SPEND!
Spend Management is Journey
Look at not only your current pain, but the future
• Do no fall into the trap of fixing an acute pain, find a cure for the problem
• Understand what the platform does, after immediate pain is solved
Collaborate: Do not make decisions in a silo
• Too often, AP/Finance, Procurement and IT do not work together, resulting
in disparate solutions for each area‟s pain
• Look for a solution that can deliver strategically for everyone
Phase it out
• Tackle your immediate pain first, but design for the next step
• Ensure executives are involved for selection and project success
– Executive sponsorship not only will drive success, but a broader platform footprint
From Tactical to Strategic
• Too Much Paper
– Desire to Automate
• No Visibility
– Data is poor and
• No Integrated Process
– AP, Procurement and
Finance work in silos
• System Limitations
– Need more functionality =
• Automate as the beginning
– Automation is not “the” solution
• Spend Capture is Key
– Start somewhere (Expenses,
• Start to expand spend footprint
– Move to the next step: e.g.
Post Approved to Pre-approved
• Platform that supports growth
– Turn on applications as you go