Indexing Automated Vs Automatic Galvan1


Published on

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Indexing Automated Vs Automatic Galvan1

  1. 1. Indexing: Automatic vs. Automated<br />Corina Galvan LS5813 Fall 2009<br />
  2. 2. Introduction<br />After reviewing the “conceptual cleanup” survey that our class took, it appeared that only 34% of our class stated that they completely understood this concept . So I chose to review this concept for the other 66% of our class that are almost there but not quite.<br />
  3. 3. Indexing<br />According to Chu (2003) indexing uses terms, either derived or assigned, to represent information facets of the original document. <br />What does that exactly mean? <br />Words or phrases are used to represent the information in a document when searched for.<br />Ex: A document about the life cycle of a butterfly could be indexed with butterfly, life cycle. <br />
  4. 4. Indexing<br />Indexing activities can be categorized into two types: intellectual and mechanical.<br />Intellectual indexing is performed by a person, e.g. assigning terms, controlled vocabularies.<br />Mechanical indexing is performed by a machine., e.g. alphabetizing and formatting.<br />This is where automatic and automated indexing comes in. <br />
  5. 5. Automatic vs. Automated<br />Automated indexing is the combined efforts of human and machine. A person would perform the intellectual portion of the indexing and a machine will perform the mechanical portion.<br />Automatic indexing is where the intellectual and mechanical potion of the indexing is completely performed by a machine. <br />This is also known as machine indexing.<br />There are of course advantages and disadvantages to using wither method and that will explored in the next few slides.<br />
  6. 6. Automatic vs. Automated<br />Intellectual Indexing:<br />Automated indexing as mentioned before relies on the human indexer and in this case it is slightly superior to automatic indexing.<br />According to Chu(2003) computers can only deal with intellectual indexing as well as a human indexer and sometimes much worse, because it does not have the analytical power to think like a human being.<br />So the outcome of the intellectual indexing may not be as good as the indexing conducted by a human indexer.<br />
  7. 7. Automatic vs. Automated<br />Time/Cost efficiency:<br />The time is take to complete an index is greatly reduced with the use of mechanical indexing. <br />Automatic is more time efficient than automated but automated does greatly benefit from mechanical indexing. By allowing the mechanical aspect of the indexing to be completed by q machine, it allows the human indexer to focus more on the intellectual aspect of the indexing. <br />The time efficiency of the indexing correlates to the cost efficiency of the indexing.<br />A Chu (2003) stated, automatic indexing appears to be an attractive solution to the high cost associated with manual indexing.<br />
  8. 8. Automatic vs. Automated<br />Consistency:<br />This is where automatic has an edge over automated. <br />A machine has the ability to be consistent with its indexing as opposed to a human indexer, because what one human indexer may think can differ from another. By standardizing it with a machine it would eliminate that problem. <br />
  9. 9. Works <br />Chu, H. (2003). Information representation and retrieval in the digital age. Medford, NJ: American Society for Information Science and Technology.<br />Clip Art from Microsoft Office 2007 Clip Art<br />