1. Family Communica-on A Collage of the Taylor Family from NBC’s hit television series: Friday Night Lights By Corey Randall
2. The Taylors • I chose to analyze the Taylors because I really enjoyed watching the show Friday Night Lights and I thought that their family system had an interes-ng dynamic to it. • The Taylors are a Two-‐ Parent Biological Family: Consists of parents and the children who are from the union of these parents
3. Levels of Adaptability • The Taylors have a very structured family where “family members experience authoritarian and some equalitarian leadership and stables roles and rules” (p. 32).
4. Roles • Coach Taylor is deﬁnitely the head of the household where his job takes precedent over the others in the family. • The family decisions are made around his job schedule and the family moves according to where he is employed.
5. Roles • Tami Taylor is the support system in the family where she takes on everyone’s problems and tries to help resolve any sort of conﬂict. • She is a guidance councilor at the same school Coach Taylor’s team plays for and where their daughter goes.
6. Roles • Julie Taylor is the Taylors daughter and she is typically the one that creates the family drama. • She is a student at Dillon High School and she dates the star-ng quarterback of the team – which makes for an interes-ng dynamic between coach, the quarterback, and Julie.
7. Decision Making • “Decision making is the process by which family members make choices, reach judgments, or arrive at solu-ons that end uncertainty” (p. 20). • The majority of the decision are made by the parents in the family, however, Coach Taylor is depicted as being the head of the household where all decisions are ﬁnalized.
8. Dialec-cal Theory • “Family rela-onships are not sta-c – they are constantly in process… Rela-onships are shapes and maintained by the ways members manage contradic-ons” (p. 74). • The Taylors are a family that goes through a number of changes and challenges, but as the family is faced with adversity they over come it through good communica-on func-ons.
9. Communica-on Func-ons • Cohesion – The Taylors fall under the category of “connected” where they value closeness and -me together but understands that each family member needs to do their own thing outside of the family. • Adaptability – The Taylors have shown their ability to change and overcoming all kinds of adversity. Their “ﬂexibility” has enabled them to be a successful family
10. Rituals • The Taylors are a very football oriented family where they hold team dinners for the team in support of the school and the football program. • Every Friday Night Tami and Julie go to the football game to support Coach Taylor and the Dillon Panthers.
11. Family Image • Football is very important to the Taylors, however, they seem to make being a family the priority. • They make decisions as a family and fallow through with the promises they make with one another. • Through all of the adversity they are faced with, the Taylors make sure that they overcome all of the obstacles they face and come together as a unit at the end of it all.