Brand Perceptions The key to managing your brands … and how people behave around them … … is manage the perceptions of the brand! You need to manage … … the conscious and subconscious elements …. … .of your Brand Then you can control the perceptions around your brand … whether this is for … Your Executive … Your Staff … … Your Customers … or even Your Competition
What are the 10 Perception Drivers ? The 10 Perception drivers are based on ten fundamental archetypes. We call them Brand Archetypes. They operate in the collective psyche of humankind which can be used to modify choices and behaviours in relation to a brand. These are:
Individuality & Uniqueness Emotional Impact Communication Social Intelligence Competitiveness Growth & Expansiveness Authority & Respect Innovation & Unconventionality Intuition & Inspiration Power & Transformation [who we are] [the emotional impact of our brand] [how and what we really communicate] [the impact of the brand on relationships] [how does the brand motivate action] [the capacity to expand] [what we are respected for] [how our brand generates excitement] [how our brand inspires] [power of our brand to change people’s lives]
1. Individuality and Uniqueness [Who are we] Exec: > This is a very good result. The core identity of the brand mirrors the dominant archetypes produced by the analysis of the totality of her questionnaire. > Exec has their ducks in a row and know what they are doing. Management : > Communication is in semi-alignment with Exec. > But Innovation & Unconventionality and Growth & Expansiveness have no relation whatsoever to anything Exec had to say. > This is disturbing when we consider that there is a 75% agreement factor among the staff. > So in terms of the this question, we can see that the staff are way off base when compared to Exec. Comments: > Which positioning is right and how do we manage the challenges of conflicting energies Communication Competitiveness Innovation & Unconventionality Growth & Expansiveness Authority & Respect 75%
2. Emotional Impact [the emotional impact of our brand] Communication Competitiveness Emotional Impact Growth & Expansiveness Authority & Respect Exec : > Wants people to feel the Communication and Authority Respect archetypes as major players in the brand profile. > The presence of Growth and Expansion in an emotional environment is actually one of the best possible placements for a brand. This energy is responsible for all good things, good fortune, growth, positivity, justice, wealth and so on. You want people to experience this at an emotional level. > To validate what the customers are experiencing we would have to assess the clients. Management: > Weak agreement with Authority and Respect and is the only point of agreement. > With 67% weighted agreement the management are not in strong agreement with each other. > Positive: Emotional Impact was selected as the dominant theme in this question. Shows awareness that people's feelings are very important in the context of the brand. This is further confirmed in question 7. So there is a nice synergy here. Comments: > How important is the emotional impact of your brand given your current target market? > Exec – Low > Management - Medium
3. Communication [how and what we really communicate] 48% Exec: > Consistent with Communication within the communication meme which interacts with the Authority and Respect > The presence of Power & Transformation with Communication reveals that there is (or should be) a fairly high degree of "penetration" in the way the brand communicates. > It also reveals a "depth" to the communication. At another level, it reveals the obvious: the transformational role of the technology. Management: > On the good side, we can see that the answers to the questions almost precisely mirror each other between Exec and the Management. > But at 48% Management have no agreement in the way the brand communicates Comments : > The results on this question are simultaneously both startlingly good and worryingly bad. Good that there is strong agreement. Bad that there is only 48%.
4. Social Intelligence [the impact of the brand on relationships] Communication Power & Transformation Individual & Uniqueness Intuition & Inspiration 60% Exec : > The Communication nature of the company is a point of attraction: Communication, technology, knowledge, expertise, skill, intelligence - all these qualities combine to make the brand attractive. > Power and Transformation interaction Communication suggest the brand is triumphant in its persuasiveness (read mind control, suggestion, ability to influence people's ideas and thoughts). For this reason that people find attractive. (If this is the case, then we would pick this up if we ever did a survey of the clients). Management: > The Managements choice of Intuition and Inspiration suggest that the idealistic, inspirational, uplifting qualities of the brand are what make it attractive to people. This provides an imaginative, fantastical quality. What they are saying is that people find the brand attractive because it is "out of this world". > At 60% the staff are not in strong agreement Comments : > Nice correspondence between Exec and management in that the Individuality and Power and Transformation feature on both lists. This is concerned with issues of power and leadership that the brand attractive and due to its consolidated position in the market. Represents an Ancient Guru Archetype.
5. Competitiveness [How does our brand motivate action] Authority & Respect Power & Transformation Competitiveness Individual & Uniqueness 67% Exec and Management: > Nice coincidence with Power and Transformation and Competitiveness. Wow! This is a very powerful combination. It is basically saying that the company is Superman in the competitive arena (no competition?) > This archetypal combination brims with self-confidence. It is almost ruthless. Nice. There is a huge amount of dynamism here. It is a very successful configuration. Everyone knows that they are successful. They see themselves a successful. They are successful. Absolute confidence. Brilliant. Comments: > It is a pity that the agreement factor only comes in at 67%. > Ideally with a powerful archetype like this we should be looking to exploit it with a higher percentage of agreement. As an aggregate, the staff are expressing their level of confidence in the brand and in what they do and the company they belong to. But not everyone is entirely sure of this.
6. Growth and Expansiveness [the capacity of brand growth] Authority & Respect Intuition & Inspiration Communication Innovation & Unconventionality 84% Exec and Management: > Exec nominated this question as one of the top three in terms of importance of defining the brand. > The 84% agreement level is very significant and positive in terms of staff understanding and projecting these qualities. > Everyone is on the same page. > The brand's role in enriching the lives of its customers is identified in terms of the Innovation and Unconventionality archetype: innovativeness, revolutionary transformation, cutting edge technology, etc. > The Authority and Respect is the archetype of form and structure and authority. Lives are enriched through access to the stable platform which has innate strength. Comments: > The challenge is the Innovation and Unconventionality and Authority and Respect interaction does not combine easily. It is heavy going and awkward. > But in the context of this company it could makes sense: "through control we achieve freedom". > What does not make sense is why this restrictive archetypal combination has emerged on this particular question which relates to growth, enrichment, etc.
7. Authority and Respect [what we are respected for] 63% Communication Competitiveness Innovation & Unconventionality Emotional Impact Growth & Expansiveness Exec : > The Emotional Impact is highly significant. This brand wants people to feel safe and secure -- relates to authority, discipline, structure, leadership, stability. > Exec's archetypal interaction is correlated with "fierce protection" of the child by the mother. Competitiveness is one Exec's top choices and implies the brand is authoritative and in control through the dynamism and competitiveness of the company. Management: > Exec and the management are in agreement with the Emotional Impact in this meme. > Shows a strong maternal (paternalistic), nurturing energy. > The other archetypes are to low to have an impact on this brand meme. Comments: >The 63% management agreement is too low for one of the most important questions there really should be a higher level of consensus among the staff. The lower levels are: Growth and Expansiveness, Competitiveness, Individuality and Uniqueness and Innovation and Unconventionality Individual & Uniqueness
8. Innovation and Unconventionality [how our brand generates excitement] 64% Communication Authority & Respect Competitiveness Emotional Impact Exec and Management : > Exec and Management agreement on the Communication and Competitiveness interaction. >This is a combination that connects very powerfully with quick wittedness and a high degree of intelligence. It is also a "get things done" combination. It is an archetype that represents the implementation of strategies and plans. > Positive: relates to skill, practicality, forceful communication, an impressive ability to act and when expressed is a great force for success. > Negative: interpersonal verbal conflict, nervousness to a pathological extreme which results in outbursts - in the corporate contexts these outbursts would relate to systemic failures. Becoming embroiled in controversies, disputes and lawsuits Comments: > With an agreement factor or 64%, there appears to be room for improvement here.
9. Intuition and Inspiration [how our brand inspires] 62% Communication Individual & Uniqueness Authority & Respect Emotional Impact Exec : > One of Exec's top three. The dominant archetypes are again expressed through this meme. >The implication is that somehow people are uplifted and inspired through the diligence, discipline and practicality associated with the brand and therefore with the company. Management: > Are in agreement with Exec Comments: > If Exec is serious about the importance of this question, and about projecting these particular attributes and values, then the managements 62% agreement needs to be higher.
10. Power and Transformation [power of our brand to change people lives] 75% Communication Intuition & Inspiration Authority & Respect Innovation & Unconventionality Exec and Management: > Good result in terms of the agreement between Exec and the staff. There is a strong agreement. > And at 75%, a very good consensus among the staff. Enough said. Comments > This is one of two questions where the Management agree with Exec (other is communication) but it is not a strong meme.
“ A company's primary responsibility is to serve its customers. Profit is not the primary goal, but rather an essential condition for the company's continued existence.” Peter Drucker