Traveling the world #4 abrigedPresentation Transcript
TRUE OR FALSE?
1) ANCIENT HISTORYTrue or False? Acupuncture was first used as a medical treatment in 2700 BC by Chinese emperor Shen-Nung. True
2) ANCIENT HISTORYTrue or False? At the height of its power, Sparta had 25,000 citizens, and 500,000 slaves. True
3) ANCIENT HISTORYTrue or False? In the Middle ages, (5th-15th century) most people believed the heart was the center of intelligence. True
4) ANCIENT HISTORYTrue or False? There haSbeen 262 Popes. 15 have been murdered of killed. False 33 Popes have been killed or murdered
5) ANCIENT HISTORYTrue or False? Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made from wood. False They slept on Stone pillows!
6) ANCIENT HISTORYTrue or False? The Ancient Egyptian King Pepi the 2nd ruled Egypt for 90 years TRUE
Traveling the World. Lesson #4
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE 2. Hierapolis-Pamukkale (Turkey) Pamukkale, meaning Cotton Castle, is one of the most extraordinary natural wonders in Turkey.
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE Pamukkale’s‘frozen’ waterfalls and pools were formed over thousands of years as mineral-rich spring water flowed down a high mountain wall and left behind large amounts of calcium.
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE Here, too, is the site of the ancient city of Hierapolis, where many interesting ruins can be found, including hot baths, temples, and other Greek and Roman monuments.
Which picture is NOT of Hierapolis Pamukkale. A B C
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE 3. Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes (Korea) In June 2007, Jeju Island became South Korea’s first natural heritage site to be added to the World Heritage list.
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE Covering over 10% of the island, the heritage site actually consists of three separate areas-
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE Geomunoreum, one of the finest lava tube systems in the world; SeongsanIlchulbong, a huge bowl-like mountain formed during a volcanic eruption; Geomunoreum
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE and 1,950 – meter high Mt. Halla, the highest mountain in South Korea. Seongsan Ilchulbong Mt. Halla
Reading p163 NATURAL HERITAGE These three sites are extremely beautiful and provided an extraordinary record of geological history of the Earth.
Which picture IS of Jeju Island? A b d c
Comprehension Question Why do you think Jeju Island has been added to the World Heritage list? It was added because there are three extraordinary sites.
Vocabulary p163 Monument: A structure, like a building or sculpture built as a memorial. “Greek and Roman monuments.” 3rd sentence, last line. “Hierapolis- Pamukkale"
Vocabulary p163 Volcanic: Something produced by a volcano. “SeongsanIlchulbong, a huge bowl-like mountain formed during a volcanic eruption.” 2nd sentence, 6th line. “Jeju”
Vocabulary p163 Eruption: A release of something. “SeongsanIlchulbong, a huge bowl-like mountain formed during a volcanic eruption.” 2nd sentence, 6th line. “Jeju”
Some Volcanic Eruptions!
Vocabulary p163 Extremely: Very. To a high degree. “These three sites are extremely beautiful.” 3rd sentence, 8thline. “Jeju”
Vocabulary p163 Geological: The study of the Earth. “An extraordinary record of the geological history of the Earth.” 3rd sentence, 9thline. “Jeju”