1. vanguardvisionsconsulting.com.auIs your Not-for-Profit BusinessNBN ready?Allison MillerDirector & Principal Consultant
2. What is the NBN?
3. Image: NBN in Plain English - http://www.flickr.com/photos/89165847@N00/6357746413National Broadband Network= NBN• High speed internet• Faster than we can imagine• Changing the landscape -• Not just with digital fibrebut with digitalopportunitiesKey enabler for many economic, social, technological andenvironmental developments (Bowles, 2011)
4. Super-fast internetfrom 100 megabits per second to apeak speed of one gigabit per second*National Broadband Network = NBN* NBN Co Ltd, 2010, Corporate Plan 2011-2013speedtest.net
6. Internet is already a game changerBroken BusinessModels:- Music Industry,publishing, mediaFrom Push to PullFrom one to many tomany to manyNew ways of working:- Collaborative/Co-optition- Open, personalised- Give to get (FB, TW, Gmail)The new digital economywill have an impact on allAustralian industries andwill require every business,community organisationand governmentdepartmentto be NBN-ready(Bowles, 2011)
7. What does doingbusiness in a digitaleconomy look like?
8. Digital Presence:• Website – DIY, free/paid,self-hosted• Social media - Facebook,Twitter, YouTube, Google+Pinterest etc• Online Ads - Google,Facebook, LinkedIn• QR codes & AugmentedReality - AurasmaGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: QR-ing it Everywhere - Make up - http://www.flickr.com/photos/77018488@N03/7307320654/in/photostream - Aurasma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKy-hSedg8
9. Digital Presence:• Search EngineOptimisation (SEO) - Tags,Keywords, Meta-data• Google Analytics• Google AlertsGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: Google Main Search - http://www.flickr.com/photos/22127803@N02/5267464508
10. Digital Customer Support:• Apps• Real time support• Google+ Hangouts & SkypeGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: Online Support - http://www.flickr.com/photos/77018488@N03/8143741907/
11. Image: Tada! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/73282154@N08/6686839137 - Maker-Bot - Adelaide Mini-Maker Faire - http://www.flickr.com/photos/77018488@N03/8632015521Digital Marketplace:• Digitalisation ofproducts/services - 3D printing,eBooks, iTunes• Booking online - AusPostPassports, Qld Hairdresser, Doctor’sSurgery, Eventbrite• Reminding customers – SMS• Digital reporting – mobile deviceforms, interactive PDFs, live electronicsignaturesGetting your NFP business ready for the NBN
12. Digital finance:• Online stores /Payments-eCommerce, PayPal, eBay• Mobile phone payments –CommBank’s Ka-ching, PayPalHere• Crowd sourcing finances –KickStarters, micro-loans, peer-to-peer lendingGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: PayPal - https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader
13. Digital Infrastructure:• ‘Cloud’ storage - Software as aservice (SaaS), Dropbox, Evernote• Mobile devices and BYODs• Virtual servers and desktopsGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: What Type of Cloud?: Private, Public or+Hybrid? - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26072489@N08/5332731617
14. Digital Infrastructure:• Open source vs proprietary• Interoperability• Web accessibility• User interface & experienceGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: Interopérabilité @ J&Bisc family - http://www.flickr.com/photos/11445550@N00/2456767724
15. Image: Global Player - http://www.flickr.com/photos/29487767@N02/3574392846Digital Policies/Legal considerations:• HR• ICT• IP/Copyright/CreativeCommons• Digital sovereignty• Moral rights• Spam• Privacy• Social mediaGetting your NFP business ready for the NBN
16. Are you and/or yourstaff/volunteers NBNready?
17. Image: NBN Rollout Map - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97304820@N00/6934255879In order for Australia to fully leverage theeconomic, social and environmental benefits ofthe NBN, every Australian will need to improvetheir information and communicationtechnology (ICT) skills (Bowles, 2011)
18. Digital Workforce/Support:• digital literacy• HR policies• tele-work• micro-workGetting your NFP business ready for the NBNImage: Morning Shopping - http://www.flickr.com/photos/73491156@N00/3669364668“NBN-enabled telework may create 25,000 additional jobs in full-time equivalent terms by 2020-21. Around 10,000 of these jobs willbe created in regional Australia”NBN enabled telework: The economic and social impact on labour force participation, March 2013http://apo.org.au/research/nbn-enabled-telework-economic-and-social-impact-labour-force-participation
19. Implementing andevaluating for digitalsuccess
20. Image: Dive off! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/58862846@N00/419945378Develop an eBusiness Strategy/ActionPlan:• Link to Business Plan/StrategicGoals• Input from stakeholders• Communicate to stakeholders• Resourcing• Risk management• Benchmarking - data analytics• Monitoring and review triggers• EvaluateDevelop a digital roadmap
21. Image: Gary Hamel: Open source is one of+the+greatest+management+innovations+of+the+21st+century - http://www.flickr.com/photos/47691521@N07/4371000486Supporting a culture ofinnovation:• PD• Performance Plans• Collaborative learning andrewards• Room to make mistakes andtest new ideas• Workforce development planDevelop a digital roadmap
22. What digital strategy willyou investigate further?
23. Want to know more?DBCDE’s Digital Enterprise Program:to find a program nearest you:bit.ly/digitalenterpriseprogram
24. Want to know more?National NBN-enabled Digital Economy Forum30 July 2013Face-to-Face & Online:#nbndigito find more:bit.ly/NBNdigiforum
25. Want to know more?Register for eUpdates: bit.ly/digitalcapabilityFollow on:Twitter - twitter.com/digitalcapabiliFacebook - facebook.com/digitalcapabilityLinkedIn - bit.ly/DCLinkedINGoogle+ - bit.ly/DCGoogleplusPinterest - pinterest.com/vanguardvisions
26. vanguardvisionsconsulting.com.auAccess this presentation from:slideshare.net/vanguardvisions