1. BlackBerry in Government
Presented by : Shaun Hathrill
April 4, 2013
Up to 2,829% Return on Investment
(3 Year Risk-Adjusted for Integrative
Deployments)Gain up to $33,000 per device
per year with an Integrative
Independent Research* Study Finds a Wide
Range of Benefits
for the Enterprise with BlackBerry Mobility
3. Challenges that the BlackBerry platform
•Increasing visibility of public officials in the community.
•Improve service delivery & improve citizen perception
•Reduce Administration paperwork.
The BlackBerry Enterprise Servicer
The core of your mobile Management,
Administration and control
BlackBerry Enterprise Server
The BlackBerry Enterprise Server
represents the core of the enterprise
deployment, from here the administrator
• Maintain absolute command and control
• Control each aspect of what the user may or may not do
• Pro-active monitoring and resolving of issues remotely
• Auditing user communications
• Pushing Applications or Updating OS Over The Air
• Built in High Availability and automatic failover
All BlackBerry Smartphones have the following features, they
cannot be mis-configured or disabled.
– Protect the data on the device Content Protection
– Apply security rules & configuration IT-Policies
– Control lost or stolen handhelds IT-Commands
– Protect against malicious apps App-Policies
– Safeguard against outside attacks Device Firewall
All your security rules are applied at the moment you activate
End to End Security
• Each packet encrypted individually
• Constant AES 256 encrypted channel
• Customizable encryption layer
• Military grade algorithms
• Extensible layered security
• SSL / TLS Support
Certification- Trust But Verify
“Most accredited wireless platform
FIPS 140-2 on all our crypto modules: Device, Server and Reader
CESG / CAPS Approval on both device and server
Coverity Code Review on all our product prior to deployment
Common Criteria EAL 4+ as of ver. 5.0 of device and server.
Be aware that not all certifications are equivalent, it depends on the
target of the evaluation
9. Government Approvals
• Gold standard of wireless security
• Security model independently audited and verified
– Most accredited wireless platform available
• TRUST BUT VERIFY
Communicate without Compromise
Partner Solutions & Bespoke Services
11. GIS Mapping on PlayBook
Executives, managers and field workers are more productive when they have richly detailed GIS maps and
information about location as they complete vital work. This complex information needs to be complete and
displayed simply on mobile devices.
•Inspections, work orders, service orders are enhanced by GIS mapping for field service workers.
•Damage assessment forms and maps are put into service right after severe weather events.
•Locations of vehicles and people are visible to managers and supervisors.
12. SEARCH, SELECT, VIEW & EXPLORE
cDir™ for BlackBerry is a web application that provides users with easy access to organizational directories in a
controlled and secure way, from your BlackBerry PlayBook. cDir gives mobile users the ability to access information
stored in your organization's directory. Users can easily perform queries such as "list all engineers in the Boston
office", and then click on a name to get information such as address, phone numbers, a photograph, department
manager, assistant, map location based on postal code or ZIP, equipment assigned, etc. All in real-time from you
13. Actsoft Comet Tracker: GPS based mobile management solution that automates workflow in a way
that is both highly effective and easy to use. Cutting edge software reduces manual processes which
in turn reduces response times and maximizes productivity.
- Live tracking & mapping, including Geo-Fencing capabilities
- “Drag’n’Drop” dispatch jobs
-Transmit data and photos from the field
- Generate reports
14. Database Query and RMS Lookup
Mobile Innovations MPA Niche provides PlayBook users with 24/7 access to Niche RMS functionality from
• detailed search for a person, vehicle, address, name and occurance.
• Access, start and complete tasks.
• Prepare and submit general reports.
15. Government Collaboration – Video Conferencing
Adobe® Connect™ provides PlayBook users with an integrated conference call or Voice over IP audio solution
• Use Meeting Overview to watch all the activities happening in the meeting at once or tap to focus in on any
one meeting activity, such as slide presentations, PDF documents, videos, and screen sharing provided by your
meeting host or other presenters.
• Focus on an activity to enter your input in Chat, Private Chat, and Polls.
• Use 2-Way Video to participate in multi-point video conferencing and add your own upstream video
broadcast to the conversation.
E Office - SOS Services
SOS Services allows you to track your assets and also allow
them to raise the alarm in case they are in danger or if they
require support. This raises situational awareness to a new
level allowing you to achieve critical coverage with an “Off the
Otterbox – Rugged Enclosures
OtterBox Defender Series offers an exclusive three-layer
design that keeps information and investments safe.
No other case can withstand this degree of rough treatment.
The Defender Series provides superior protection for a
smartphone allowing complete interaction through the case.
• Layer 1: Clear protective membrane on screen and keypad
• Layer 2: Hi-impact polycarbonate shell
• Layer 3: Durable silicone skin
EnterMo – Smart Cases
The EnterMo Case provides signature capture and barcode options for 1D and 2D scanning.
The powerful battery and power management software ensures the EnterMo Case delivers a full working shift to your
mission-critical field workers.
When integrated with the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server supports AES or Triple DES encryption providing secure access
to corporate databases and applications.
* Available for the BlackBerry 83XX, 97xx and 85XX series
Real Life Examples in Mission Critical
Case Study – Armed Forces
Defence Information Systems Agency – US DoD
DISA's new STIG moves BlackBerry® solutions beyond
email and Personal Information Management (PIM).
Sanctioned applications include all BlackBerry® Mobile
Data System based applications, Docs2Go, IM and Wi-Fi®
configuration. DISA notes additional anti-virus protection
isn’t needed due to BlackBerry solutions inherent security.
Case Study - Law Enforcement
Positive identifications by BlackBerry
• Arrest for breach of bail Theft from
• Arrest for abduction, cross force
• Arrest for attempted murder
One in 6 Police Officers in
the United Kingdom
carry a BlackBerry
Case Study – Fire & Safety
The BlackBerry has been turned into a life-saving tool
by the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.
In July 2010, the service began a new protocol of
beaming electrocardiogram readings of their patients to
the Blackberry's of cardiologists. That allows doctors to
coach paramedics through life-saving decisions as
patients are transported by ambulance.
Statistics show the program is lowering mortality rates
and speeding up treatment times, said Dr. Rob
Grierson, the service's medical director.
"If you look at the death rate for people with heart
attacks about a year ago, system wide within the city, it
was about eight per cent. Well, right now … we are
looking at about a two per cent mortality rate."
23. Thank You For Your Time
For further inquiries, kindly contact:
Channel Sales Manager : East Central Africa