1. Support the Common Ground
Health Clinic in New Orleans
2. The Common Ground Health Clinic has been
providing quality health care and community
education in New Orleans since
September 9, 2005.
3. We’ve come a long way from an all
volunteer crew providing services out of
the Masjid Bilal Mosque…
4. To a converted corner store
across the street...
5. In 2013, our combined team of staff and volunteers
continue to provide high quality services, on a sliding scale,
that include primary care, medical interpreting in Spanish &
Portuguese, herbal medicine, health education,
dermatology, endocrinology, social work referrals,
acupuncture, laboratory tests…
6. …As well as working in the community to address societal factors that
contribute to ill health, such as systemic racism and poverty. We do this
through anti-racist education sessions with the People’s Institute for
Survival & Beyond, through the advocacy component of our Latino
Health Outreach Project, and through our collaborations with other
social justice organizations in Greater New Orleans.
7. The clinic’s Outreach programs include gardening projects, cooking classes,
health fairs & wellness events, community resource guides, and youth art
workshops, all enlivened by collaborations with community partners.
8. In today’s economic climate, increasing numbers of people
in our community are struggling to meet their most basic
needs. Clinics such as ours, called “safety nets” by many,
are needed more than ever to provide services for the
uninsured and under-insured, and to remain attuned to the
most marginalized voices among us. It is our policy to
provide services regardless of the individual’s ability to pay,
even as we struggle with our own sustainability.
9. It took a combination of vision, courage
and perseverance to found this clinic.
10. Ensuring that our work is
sustainable calls for nothing less.
11. So, this is where you come in.
12. Every single person has a part to play in
keeping this clinic open. There is no amount
too large or too small to give.
13. Here are some ways that
YOU can help
1. Ask your organizations (church,
mosque, club, krewe, association,
etc.) to take up a special collection,
or work with you to co-sponsor an
event – a dinner, car wash, live
music, etc., to benefit CGHC.
2. Walk up to any Whitney Bank
teller and make a donation. Your
donation will be deposited directly
to the CGHC account.
14. More ways for YOU to have an impact
3. Make a donation at the clinic
here in Algiers (New Orleans),
at 1400 Teche Street.
available at the Front Desk.
4. Become a monthly sustainer
through our website:
5. Join our Cause on Facebook, and
invite your friends to do the same!
15. And finally:
Tell everyone. Yes, EVERYONE.
From your Aunt Jean to Oprah. From your co-workers to Spike Lee.
From your doctor to Dr. John. Everyone needs to know about this
clinic. Word of mouth is how we got this thing started, and that’s how
we will keep on growing good health in our community and
challenging the health care system to change nationwide.
Visit our website for updates on our
work, details on our history and guiding
principles, and to give what you can to
keep the clinic open.