View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
When first starting this project, I had to obtain a armature. then I had to wrap newspaper around the armature in about the shape of the bust. I then added clay around the bust and shaped it into a skull-like form. I then rolled out strips of clay about ¾ of an inch thick. With these strips I used small rectangular clay pieces to hold the strips as I placed them onto the bust. The next step was to attach all the remaining strips of clay onto the piece through scoring, after attaching all pieces I molded a face into the strips including a mouth, nose, and eyes. After firing the some parts cam undone and needed repair. I used e6000 and plaster to fix the cracks and connect any broken parts. I'm continuing to sand all plaster so it is smooth enough to paint.
This project was very time consuming and as so there was a time limit in which it was to be done, many of the mistakes that took place were do to the rushing of some steps.
Some things I would change would be the size of the sculpture which made it very difficult to travel with, the amount of support the structure had in between the cay pieces and the detail in the facial features.
I began by making different sculptures to start off my work with found objects, I experimented with things like metal wire, circuit boards, metal mesh, marbles, etc. I obtained an acrylic glass board, metal wire, sunglass lenses, a rubber Halloween eyeball, Metal spikes, and marbles. I twisted the wire around certain object that I felt would show representation of the subject of bullying and peer pressure. I taped the places in which I wanted the reflective properties of the board to show through. The board was then painted with two reds black brown to give varying contrast to the figures. Each figure was place and attached onto the acrylic board with e6000. e6000 was also used to secure all objects that needed to be held within the twisting wires.
The most problem came from finding a piece of acrylic glass that would suit my sculpture and other pieces that would symbolize the subject.
If I were to do this project differently I would have researched more into found object sculpture because this media was very different and new to me. I would also have changed the position of the figures and the size of the sculpture.
In this project I was partnered with Caleb. We researched several different sculptures from the books given, we also planed to use rocks when starting our project. We then found multiple spot in which to create the sculpture. We then decided to create a sculpture that started with small rocks in the middle and larger and stacked rocks toward the outer edge. We then added the milkweed leaves in between the spiral and ordered the in a gradient. To finish the projects a larger ring of rocks was placed further from the spiral.
This medium was also very difficult to understand but was much easier learned than found object. The rocks were difficult to work with, each was very large and heavy and did not have very defined centers of gravity. Many toppled and many required other rocks to stand.
I would add more rocks to the spiral and bring the outer ring closer to the spiral.
I started this project searching through many different sculptures in many different cultures such as the ancient Mediterranean cultures, Native American, and Asian sculptures. I decided on an ancient sculpture called the Winged victory of Samothrace, which is a sculpture of an angel with no head or arms but with large wings. I then decided to exchange the wings for modern plane wings. When starting this sculpture I molded and carved out the body and dress of the figure without wings, I created plane wings separately and attached them to the sculpture. I then carved out of the bottom to hollow out the sculpture and added a section of the plane onto the back to better show that the wings were plane wings.
The most difficult part in this project was the copy of the body and dress, most pictures I found showed the sculpture from the sides and front but not in the back. It was also difficult to keep the dress from changing when placed in the bag often time the clay was so wet the creases in the bag moved the creases in the dress, the bottom of the sculpture also was rounded, it often feel while traveling.
The thing I would change in this project would be the size and/or placement of the wings and better more accurate reproduction of the plane wings and sculpture.