2. Causes A world wide depression led to dictatorships in Germany, Italy and Japan. They promised prosperity for total control (Fascism). They formed a military alliance to gain world dominance called the Axis Powers.
3. Adolph Hitler- Germany Led Nazi Party to power in 1933 Committed suicide as Germany faced defeat in 1945.
4. Benito Mussolini- Italy Came to power in 1922. Died violently in 1945.
5. Hideki Tojo- Japan Gained control in Japan in 1941. Convicted of war crimes and executed in 1948.
6. Axis control of Europe- 1942 Germany German control Italy and it’s territories
7. Japanese control- 1942
8. The Lend Lease Act Congress gave President Roosevelt the power to lend military equipment to American allies. For the next four years merchant ships moved goods across the Atlantic. Germany responded by sinking many ships.
9. Pearl Harbor- Dec. 7, 1941 Japanese warplanes attacked the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. 2,300 soldiers and civilians were killed. Many naval ships and aircraft were destroyed. The U.S. declared war on Japan the next day.
10. U.S. involvement in Europe Germany declared war on the U.S. in December of 1941. U.S. troops first fought in North Africa, Italy and landed at Normandy,France June 6, 1944 – D-Day. Germany was defeated by May 1945.
11. U.S. involvement in the Pacific The U.S. used a strategy called “island hopping” to force the Japanese to retreat. In August, 1945 President Harry Truman ordered atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan.
12. Japan surrendered Sept 2, 1945
13. Georgia in the war- military bases Georgia provide land for new training bases and to expand existing ones. Fort Stewart was built for anti-aircraft training. Fort Benning trained thousands of infantry. Many bases also held prisoners of war. Warner Robins Air Command trained pilots.
14. Bell Aircraft- Marietta, GA Bell Aircraft opened a factory in Marietta (near Atlanta) to build B-29 bombers. Employed 28,000 workers (6,000 women). Brought millions of dollars in wages to GA.
15. Georgia Shipyards 200 Liberty cargo ships were built in Savannah and Brunswick. Nearly 45,000 men and women worked around the clock to build these ships.
16. Carl Vinson Congressman Vinson worked to build up the U.S. Navy in the 1920s and 30s. Became know as the “Father of the Two Oceans Navy”. Helped gain contracts to Georgia shipyards. These ports continue to be important military centers for Georgia.
17. Richard Russell First served as Governor of Georgia then became a US Senator. Was considered an expert on military strategy and was influential on US Military policy. Russell used his influence to bring many military bases and thousands of jobs to Georgia.
18. The Holocaust Jews throughout Europe were imprisoned in concentration camps. By the war’s end, 6 million Jews had been murdered. Many Holocaust survivors moved to Georgia after the war. Georgians began to rethink their treatment of minorities in the state.
19. WWII Dictators and Terms Quiz Name the three WW2 dictators and the countries they ruled. (example: Richards- Slackovia)1.2.3. genocide, Lend lease, reparations, Central Powers, Fascism, Axis Powers, dictator , Holocaust4. Which side of the war did Germany belong to?5. This requires a country to pay compensation for losing a war.6. What form of Government did Italy have during the war?7. This is defined as a leader with absolute power.8. This term describe the deliberate killing of a specific group of people.9. This allowed Roosevelt to send military supplies to Great Britain.10. This name refers to the killing of millions of Jews during the war.