In the New
Who we are
A coalition of media professional
groups from Europe and around the
world committed to building trust in
media and promoting principles of
ethical journalism, good governance
and self-regulation in the digital age
Human Beings are
Society is based on respect for rights. These
rights are set out in international conventions
Humanity’s code of conduct:
• Universal Declaration of Human Rights
• Convention on Civil and Political Rights
• European Convention on Human rights
Ethics and Journalism
Journalism, too, has
conventions and standards.
These are set out in codes of
conduct agreed at national and
There are more than 400 codes.
Ethical Journalism is not
• Journalism is not free speech, it is
•It works in a framework of values.
•It has purpose.
•It is a public good.
Values That Constrain
Ethics: truth, independence,
impartiality, humanity and
Internet, Changing Industry,
Journalism Under Threat in a
World of Free Expression
Islamophobia on the March
A mob of wild-eyed men yelling, presumably taken
during anti-US protests in the Muslim world over
the infamous Innocence of Muslims Film in 2012.
Did this reflect a widespread anger within the
Islamic community worldwide?
But these are also
out of context:
how do we find
the balance between
image and reality in the
world of open
Tell the Story in Context
Truth, Independence, Impartiality,
Humanity and Accountability
Avoid a Rush to Publish
Monitor for Change:
Audience and Media
•Rebuild Ethical Base
•Seek Industry Commitment to
•Review and self-regulate
• Journalism shapes the norms and values of
• It must be accountable . Traditionally we have
two forms of regulation
• A) Legal structures for broadcasting
• B) Voluntary structures for the press
• Challenge of Regulation in the Digital Era
• As media converge – should regulation be
centralised to cover content across all platforms?
Principles of self-regulation
• Mission statement
• Code of Conduct
• Good governance
• Respond to concerns and complaints
• Industry-wide system of self-regulation
• Politically independent
• Mix of professional and public representation
EJN at Work
Pakistan: Ethical Audits and a Culture of Respect.
Egypt: Self-regulation and Solidarity
Indonesia: Model Press Councils for Asia
Africa: Focus on Hate Speech
Europe: Pluralism and Media Rights
Does self-regulation work? Paid journalism.
Setting Standards for Online Journalism.