OpenStack summit 2013 : Cloudwatt, European OpenStack Public CloudPresentation Transcript
Cloudwatt Use Case:
A European OpenStack Public Cloud
By Daniel PAYS
Chief Technology Ofﬁcer
November 6th, 2013
By Raphael FERREIRA
Chief Executive Ofﬁcer
- One of the biggest OpenStack deployment in EU
- Competitive cloud services to French &
Build a European Leader
- Security, privacy and resiliency compliant to the French & European
legislation and regulation requirements
- On~ 1,000 jobs forecast by 5 to 7 years European-wide
- 225 M€ Capital Joint Venture (Orange, Thales & French Gov.)
- Making the most of IT expertise of these industrial stakeholders
« No legacy »
« Low cost »
An OS Strategy
- Security (no backdoors…),
- Co-innovation (no patent trolls)
- Openness & interoperability (no lock-in)
- Operation cost cutting and aggressive pricing
- Sovereignty: Mastering our foundation technologies
- Independence and freedom (no technology lock-in
- Active community and quantum leaping
numbers of contributors !
- Hybrid ready !
- Innovative ecosystem
- Timely releases
- "Meritocracy" (even small players can
contribute and impact)
- Support (from community and
- Audience gaining in Europe
- Major players involved
Why betting on
Achievements in one year
- Sep'13: Secured Storage Services +
- DevOps running daily drop of code
- Jan 14: Secured Compute Services
- 5000 customers/ 200 additional
customers per day
- Dynamic ecosystem of partners both
vendors and integrators
- SDN and Smart
- "Hadoop on Savanna on
- OpenStack docs full
translation to French
- Erasure code & Georeplication with Ceph
- Upcoming: Savanna,
Ceilometer and Keystone
- Template creation &
- Big Data Analytics
- Upgrade of large
An Agile Methodology
360° project overview
2 days workshop
6 to 20 serveurs
Delivered in 10 days
10 days sprint cycle
• Deep knowledge of Hardware and Infrastructure design!
• Continous testing!
• Multiple Use Cases / Multiple partners!
• Reduce time to market!
• Optimized Architecture!
• Reduce cost!