Two-way street: semantic web
can help social web, vice versa
• Can Use semantic web to describe people,
content objects and the connections that
bind them all together so that social sites
can interoperate via semantics
• In the other direction, object-centered
social websites can serve as rich social
data sources for semantic applications
image from tinyurl.com/highway2
• Goal of the SIOC ontology is to address
interoperability issues on the Social Web
– W3c member submission in 2007
– SIOC has been adopted in a framework of
100 applications or modules deployed on
hundreds of sites
– Web 2.0, enterprise info integ, HCLS, e-gov
image from tinyurl.com/friendship2
Some of the SIOC core ontology
classes and properties
RDFA in drupal 7
• Drupal cms used by 1 percent of all sites
• Five Alpha versions of drupal 7 released
already, semantic web support built-in:
– Release candidate version on its way
• Rdfa (sioc, foaf, dublin core, skos) data
for blog posts, forums, etc.
• Video at www.semantic-drupal.com
image from tinyurl.com/drupaper
Sioc can be used to...
• ...provide a layer of rdfa metadata from
a social website, e.g. to enhance search
• ...get a Complete representation/xml
dump of a social website (export, import)
• ...be a native format for social websites
• ...do other stuff; just imagine; Thanks!
image from tinyurl.com/orionw
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.