2. World Internet Usage “WOW! My 1000 Friends” by Andrew Kuznetsov http://www.flickr.com/photos/-cavin-/2366764272/ 2The world’s changed tremendously in the last 20 years andit’s hard to remember what it was like before the web.Today there are over 2 million Internet users around the world.
3. Assholes Around the World asshole kusipää arsehole μαλάκας Arschloch stronz задник drittsekk con šikna gilipollas кретену šupak babaca kretén tâmpit røvhul шупак lul rövhål sitapea мудак 3That’s a lot of potential assholes, isn’t it?In fact, assholes are an international phenomenon andare known in every language and culture. Take a look!
4. History of “Asshole” “History (80/366)” by Chealion http://www.flickr.com/photos/chealion/2349587639/ 4According to Wikipedia, the metaphorical use of the word “asshole” in reference to acontemptible person dates back to 1933. By 1994 the word was used on network televisionand today, it’s probably every 5th word on the Internet :-)
5. Hot Topics “Arguments Yard” by the justfied sinner http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_justified_sinner/2048137758/ 5Sometimes what makes someone an asshole depends on the context.Certain topics deﬁnitely seem to bring out the worst in people:• politics• religion• history• sex• race & ethnicity• war• the environmentBasically anything where people have strong opinions.
6. Epidemic “Sonic Scream One” by Andrea Mason http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_mason/3993146/ 6In fact, there’s an epidemic of hostile behavior online.You’ve got:• Google bombs• Twitter bombs• Facebook attacks• personal abuse• attacks on reputations• online lynch mobs• human-ﬂesh searches
7. What’s Asshole Behavior? “Anger” by Jeff Hester http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffhester/255437938/ 7So let’s start with a basic deﬁnition of asshole behavior:Shutting or trying to shut someone else down throughfear or threat of being the target of unwarranted abuse, harassment, or lies.
8. = Silence “Gag” by G. Ross http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonof/221493866/ 8In other words, taking away THEIR voice.
9. Examples of Asshole Behavior “more like frustration” by email@example.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/39860392@N05/4309678733/ 9So what are examples of asshole behavior?How about having a bad day at work, or having a disagreement with a friend,and then getting online and going crazy on someone to release your frustration.
10. What Else? “Scream” by Max Shirley http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxshirley/42993434/in/photostream/ 10• Being overly focused on winning, no matter what• Feeling you have to prove the other person wrong and have the last word• Getting into a silly power struggle
11. What Else? “Anger Management I” by Dinesh http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidnid/3251196288/ 11• Jumping to conclusions• Misinterpreting what was said• Insulting and name-calling• Belittling someone• Using ad hominem attacks
12. What Else? “In’s In the Air” by Polina Sergeeva. Ross http://www.flickr.com/photos/polinasergeeva/3052378554/in/photostream/ 12• Attacking someone’s gender, age, race or intellect• Revealing someone’s personal or private information without their consent• Impersonating someone online without their permission
13. What Else? “fight club” by Alexandre Morin http://www.flickr.com/photos/genitalssky/2251197425/ 13• Spreading half-truths or lies about someone or their family• Sending around intimate photographs of someone• Making threats against someone’s reputation• Making defamatory statements against someone
14. Hey, I’m Just Having Some Fun! “McDonald’s Toys - My Little Ponyag” by RainMama http://www.flickr.com/photos/leaven/4775204677/ 14We’re not talking about being Miss Goody Two-Shoes here,or always saying “please” and “thank you.”Blowing off steam every once in a while is ok.
15. Yeah, I’m Just Having Fun! “rainbowz wallpaper desktopby Jelene Morris http://www.flickr.com/photos/jelene/3219203600/ 15Poking a little fun at things you see online or calling bullshit on them is ﬁne.
16. What’s the big deal? “Despair” by Lloyd Morgan http://www.flickr.com/photos/lloydm/2305701220 16But when we ruthlessly attack others online,when our actions hurt people emotionally, physically and reputationally,when they feel• anxious• frustrated• fearful• helpless
17. What’s the big deal? “Sadness” by Remara Tordai http://www.flickr.com/photos/remaraphotography/419159170/ 17• hopeless• stressed,• depressedthen it’s gone too far.
18. Democracy & Freedom of Speech “Free Speech = reason = Progress” by Simon Gibbs http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjgibbs/117704119/#/ 18Spirited debate and passionate dissent are what make a free society go around.Thank goodness we’re able to do that in the United States and some other parts of the world.
19. Democracy & Freedom of Speech “NASA GOES-13 Full Disk view of Earth December 17, 2010” by NASA http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/5269062390/ 19And we better damn well make sure we protect thatby honoring the principles that underly democracy.
20. Let’s Do It An online culture where every person can freely participate in a democratic, open, rational and truth-based exchange of ideas and information, without fear or threat of being the target of unwarranted abuse, harassment, or lies. Source: CiviliNation’s Mission 20So wouldn’t it be great if we:created an online culturewhere every person can freely participate ina democratic, open, rational and truth-based exchange of ideas and information,without fear or threat of being the targetof unwarranted abuse, harassment, or lies.
21. Take A Stand “For the Burma” by Roberto Ventre http://www.flickr.com/photos/robie06/1452454576/ 21Let’s make that happen!
22. For More Information Website: http://civilination.org/ Email: info@CiviliNation.org Twitter: @civilinationFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/CiviliNation YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/civilinationtv 22