207 Seymour SteetKamloops, British Columbia V2C 2E7© CHILDREN’S HISTORY OF KAMLOOPSCopyright © 2012 by Kamloops Museum & A...
Acknowledgements
‘‘                                                            ‘‘A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives
‘‘                                     ‘‘A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
EARLY DAYS                                  200 block, Victoria Street, looking West, as it appeared some                 ...
A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives                                  K
TO KAMLOOPS IN 1882                                                                         The Sentinel is one of the old...
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives                                  K                                  7
A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
Kamloops Headlines in 1912In 1912, the main newspaper in Kamloops was                                                  Mar...
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives                                  K                                  11
St Andrews on the Square                                            St Andrews on the Square is an old but very beautiful ...
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives                                  K
was abandoned. St. Andrews remained                                                    A Presbyterian Minister by the name...
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives ~ Heritage Fair Project: St Andrews on the Square by Anson Shapter                        ...
A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives ~ Heritage Fair Project: St Andrews on the Square by Anson Shapter                        ...
The Old Courthouse                                                       The first courthouse was a whitewashed log cabin ...
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives                                  K
A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler

8,365

Published on

Published in: Education
0 Comments
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
8,365
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
8
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
4
Comments
0
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Children's History of Kamloops - Sampler

  1. 1. 207 Seymour SteetKamloops, British Columbia V2C 2E7© CHILDREN’S HISTORY OF KAMLOOPSCopyright © 2012 by Kamloops Museum & ArchivesAll rights reserved. No part of this book shall be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted by any means – electronic,mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise – without written permission from the publisher. No patent liability is assumed withrespect to the use of information contained herein. Although every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this book, thepublisher and author(s) assume no responsibility for errors or omissions. Neither is any liability assumed for damages resulting fromthe use of information contained herein.Printed in CanadaFirst Printing: January 2013TrademarksAll terms mentioned in this book are known to be trademarks or service marks have been appropriately capitalized. KamloopsMuseum & Archives cannot attest to the accuracy of this information. Use of a term in this book should not be regarded as affectingthe validity of any trademark or service mark.Warning and DisclaimerEvery effort has been made to make this book as complete and as accurate as possible, but no warranty of fitness is implied. Theinformation provided is on an “as is” basis. The authors and the Kamloops Museum & Archives shall have neither liability norresponsibility to any person or entity with respect to any loss or damages arising from the information contained in this book.
  2. 2. Acknowledgements
  3. 3. ‘‘ ‘‘A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  4. 4. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives
  5. 5. ‘‘ ‘‘A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  6. 6. EARLY DAYS 200 block, Victoria Street, looking West, as it appeared some days ago. Circa 1909.2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K 3
  7. 7. A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  8. 8. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K
  9. 9. TO KAMLOOPS IN 1882 The Sentinel is one of the oldest newspapers in the Province. It was started by an enterprising and able journalist, Michael Hagan, in 1880 at Emory, shortly afterwards moving to Yale, which was at that time the centre of C.P.R. construction. A few years later he moved the paper to Kamloops, recognizing it as "The Hub City", but his first visit to the Interior was made in 1882. He wrote vividly, and his words convey the spirit of optimism and excitement that was prevalent in those pioneering days before the railroad made travelling quick and easy. The following are quotations from his reports on the journey: - October 12, 1882The Inland Sentinel newspaper staff - Kamloops, B.C. - Circa 1902 The editor and proprietor of the Sentinel has long desired to take a trip up the line as far as Kamloops, at least. He leaves tomorrow, and expects to be absent two weeks. November 2, 1882 On the 19th inst. we passed over the road from Spences Bridge to Cache Creek, 30 miles. For the first 16 miles there was nothing important to note, except it may have been the up-hill course to "Oregon Jacks" (John Dowling) 96 Mile Post. At this place wayside accomodation is provided for travellers and refresh× ments for man and beast. A few miles further to the right we passed the well known ranch of Mr. Antoine, who is noted for his courtesy and hospitality.
  10. 10. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K 7
  11. 11. A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  12. 12. Kamloops Headlines in 1912In 1912, the main newspaper in Kamloops was March 1, 1912: Royal Inland Hospital Costs $125,000 to Build. ($105,000 is spent on the building portion of May 24, 1912: Kamloops Methodist Church is Built for $42,000. (Considered one of the most beau-known as the "Daily Sentinel" and much of the hospital and $20,000 is spent on equip- tiful churches ever made in British Columbia.)the news in Kamloops was about the ment.)construction of the two major railways May 31, 1912:which were the Canadian Pacific Railway March 19, 1912: Street Railway for Kamloops(CPR) and the Canadian National Railway Kamloops Gets $125,000 to Improve Roads,(CNR). Here are some of the actual headlines Trails, and Public Works. June 7, 1912:that were found in the 1912 "Daily Sentinel". Fatal Wrech Between Cattle train and April 16, 1912: Freight TrainJanuary 12, 1912: Liner Sinking in Mid-Atlantic. (KamloopsMayor Robinson was Re-Elected with 285 residents Mrs.R. H. Lee, Miss Lee, and Mr. June 11, 1912:Votes. (Runner-up A. Bauman had 135 votes W.J.C. Hibbert were on the Titanic when it Town of Golden Escapes Fierce Forest Fireand down filled comforters were advertised sank due to hitting an iceberg.) that Threatened the Town.for $3:50) Apri130, 1912: By Dreyden CloutierJanuary 19, 1912: Royals Visit Kamloops — The Duke ofSamllpox Hits Post Office. All letters need to Connaughtbe fumigated. April 30, 1912:January 26, 1912: St John Ambulance Opens Its First Branch inCN Rail Builds BCs First Vertical Railway Lift Kamloopsin Kamloops, BC. May 10, 1912:February 6, 1912: Canadian Gold Coins MintedCPR Moves Track from Main Street.2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K 9
  13. 13. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K 11
  14. 14. St Andrews on the Square St Andrews on the Square is an old but very beautiful building in Kamloops. We are very proud of this building. St. Andrews on the Square was built in 1887 for the Presbyterian Church. They got the land from the Canadian Pacific Railway and had their first service on Christmas Day 1887. It stayed as a Presbyterian Church until 1925 when the Presbyterian Church joined with two other Churches to form the United Church of Canada. After 1925 it was used to play badminton and as office space by the St. Andrews and Caledonian Society and they used it till 1942 when the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada bought it. Later, the building started to disintegrate and the Church thought of tearing it down, but the City council of the time bought it. It was repaired in 1996 and is now used for weddings and different events. During the summer, it used on Saturday mornings for people to sell their handiwork, like jewellery and clothes and art work. By Paige FrancoeurA Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  15. 15. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K
  16. 16. was abandoned. St. Andrews remained A Presbyterian Minister by the name of Rev. empty except for the odd occasion it was George Murray Grant was Kamloops official rented for recreational use. Presbyterian Minister. He got the idea of a proper church in Kamloops. As Rev. Grant In 1936 the St. Andrews and Caledonian left, his successor, Rev. Chisholm knew there Society bought the building and used it as was a demand for a new church. On Septem- their meeting hall. In 1942 the Pentecostal ber 25, 1887, construction of St. Andrews Assemblies of Canada bought the building began. On Christmas Day, 1887, the church and renamed it Calvary Temple. had its first service. By the mid 1980s St. Andrews on the Square Effect on Kamloops. (Calvary Temple) had been abandoned due to St. Andrews played a major part in Kamloops’ the fact that the building was aging andSt Andrews on the Squareby Anson Shapter history. The church sufficed as a place to host festivals (which they still do) and weddings (they still do that too). For a period the additions were becoming too small for the huge congregations being held there. of time St. Andrews housed Kamloops only On April 23, 1990 the building was scheduledI am doing my project on the history of St. religious minister who did weddings, Sunday to be demolished in order for Calvary TempleAndrews on the Square Kamloops. I chose services, and lots of city services including to build a new church on the property. Theythis topic because it is the oldest public charities and that sort of thing. During the gave the city the option of moving the oldbuilding in Kamloops and because my great late 1890s and early 1900s, St. Andrews Church and preserving it.uncle used to be the minister of that build- became the main stage for social activitiesing. Therefore I could get access to some of in Kamloops. The church had its own mens In September 1990 Calvary Temple wasthe history of that building. chorus, a Ladies Aid Society, Sunday school, relocated to Aberdeen and was renamed and a Young Peoples Society for Christian Calvary Community Church.Why the Church Was Built Endeavour.A proper church was needed because as In 1997 Don and Judi Harrison (my greatFort Kamloops was growing more Presbyte- Why it Stopped and Started Being Used uncle and aunt) started the Kamloops Vine-rian Ministers came to Kamloops to hold In 1925 the Church was deciding if they yard Church (KVC). The KVC meets everyservices. Kamloops needed a bigger and would join the United Church of Canada. Sunday in St. Andrews. The KVC continuesproper place to hold Presbyterian services. After the Union was formed the old building to go on but under different ministering. A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  17. 17. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives ~ Heritage Fair Project: St Andrews on the Square by Anson Shapter K
  18. 18. A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  19. 19. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives ~ Heritage Fair Project: St Andrews on the Square by Anson Shapter K
  20. 20. The Old Courthouse The first courthouse was a whitewashed log cabin built in 1872. It was used as a jail, government agent’s office and a community hall. In 1883, Kamloops became the judicial centre for the County of Yale and this courthouse was too small so a bigger one was built across the street. But in 1909, another courthouse was needed and this one is still standing. This building is on Seymour Street West and is made of brick and stone. It cost approximately $70 000 to build. The architects for this building were Honeyman and Curtis who designed many other popular buildings. It is now owned by the City of Kamloops and is used for wedding receptions and other parties or meetings. by Mikayla DewolfA Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  21. 21. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives K
  22. 22. A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  23. 23. A Children’s History of Kamloops ~ Drawing Parallels
  24. 24. 2012 Kamloops Museum & Archives
  1. Gostou de algum slide específico?

    Recortar slides é uma maneira fácil de colecionar informações para acessar mais tarde.

×