1. Europe vs. AmericaReflection on culture & stereotypesRoadmap for Business Efficacy
2. Mooh! Meuh!“Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common”!
3. The United States: myths and realities• 13 colonies 1 purpose: “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”• « Manifest Destiny » - The spirit of conquest• Go West Young Man! - Opportunity and Mobility• HERE AND NOW - local media & world ignorance• Consensus society: « We’ll have to agree to disagree »• A fabulous Melting Pot• Friend or Foe? Black and White world view - Grey does not exist! To step into American business, THINK BIG!
4. Heaven & hell in Europe…HeavenThe chefs are all French… Or Italian!The cops are all British or Dutch…The mechanics are all German…HellThe chefs are all British…The mechanics are all French or Spanish…The cops are all German…
5. Censure! Censure!
6. Guess? Guess?Where is the American?
7. ROADMAP FOR BUSINESS EFFICACY WITH THE US• TABOOS: sex, politics and religion• Power Breakfast and Working Lunch• Greetings: shaking hands and first-name basis• Talk in turn• Factual: use stats & data and the passive voice; avoid « I »• HEADQUARTERS vs. SUBSIDIARIES!• TIME IS TIME - RULES IS RULES - PROCESS is PROCESS - Stick to the agenda!• 3 KILLER ARGUMENTS: Savings, generates revenue, reduces risks• Cost vs. Benefit & Risk vs. Rewards• Trial and error!• Entertainment THINK BIG!
8. From EGOtiation to NEGOtiation
9. “There are no foreign lands! It is the traveler only who is foreign.” Robert Louis StevensonChristine Morlet conference at the Global Speakers Summit - 2011 www.topvirtualmeeting.com www.christine-morlet.com