WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ABOUT MARRIAGE?
WHY DO PEOPLE MARRY?
WHAT ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF MARRIAGE?
DO YOU THINK MARRIAGE CAN FULFILL YOUR PERSONAL NEEDS FOR LOVE, COMPANIONSHIP AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT?
- According to Mitchell and Heit, marriage is defined as “ a
- relationship in which two people make a legal commitment
- or pledge to love and care for each other.
- Marriage is one of the most important commitments you
- will make. It is also a sacred bond between a man and a
- Marriage is important for couples to be more secure.
PEOPLE MARRY FOR MANY REASONS
- Some couples marry because they want another person’s love, care and companionship.
- Some couples marry because they want to build their own family
- MOST SUCCESFUL MARRIAGE ARE BASED ON LOVE AND RESPECT.
- LOVE AND RESPECT are the main ingredients for a long –lasting relationship.
THE 5 Cs for a SUCCESFUL MARRIAGE
- It is important for the couple to be
- compatible. They have similar interests,
- share common religious beliefs and
- Strong commitment to each other is
- necessary to develop a fulfilling
- relationship. To gain a fulfilling
- relationship, the couple must share
- thoughts and feelings, develop mutual
- understanding and respect, satisfying
- sexual needs, and provide emotional
- Communication between the couple
- other members of the family help
- resolve conflicts and determine mutual
- Goals. Happily married couples use
- Their communication skills to maintain a
- Conflicts may require compromise- to
- give up something in order to reach an
- agreement. Compromises help couples
- adjust to each other’s needs and wants.
- Care for each other is another ingredient
- necessary in maintaining a harmonious
- relationship. There are several ways of
- showing care for a loved one such as
- providing for their needs, teaching them
- how to improve on their weaknesses and
- showing them encouragement to fulfill their
Factors that increase the likelihood of a compatible marriage are:
- Similar intelligence and educational experience
- Families that have similar philosophies
- Ability to communicate with each other
- Independence from parents
- Physical attraction to one another
- Healthful attitudes about marriage
- Similar views about having and rearing children
- Compatible personality traits
- Compatible hobbies and interest
- Look for a picture or cut out pictures from magazine showing an act or situation of the responsibilities of parents to their children and explain the image