Irony Review It’s the opposite of what you expect!
There are 3 types of irony:
This is when what is said is the opposite of what is meant.
Example: If I dropped a glass and it broke and I said aloud, “That’s nice,” that is verbal irony. I don’t really mean that it is a great thing that happened.
The whole event is the opposite of what you expect.
Example: After writing a citation to a motorist for speeding, Officer Craziman received a ticket on his way home for going 45 in a 25 MPH zone.
This is when the audience or reader knows more that the characters in the story.
Example: Sally is walking to class. Her book bag is overflowing with materials for school. We see her drop her purse on the ground. Randy, a boy she dislikes in her class, picks up her purse and is about to bring it to her. Before he can hand her the purse, she slaps him for stealing it.
Read these statements.
Tell whether they are verbal, dramatic or situational irony. Write your answers on a sheet of notebook paper to be turned in.
1) Myop is skipping through the woods collecting flowers. As she reaches for a beautiful bloom, she notices that she has stepped in the face of a dead man.
2) A circus performer is walking on a tightrope . The audience can see that one end of the rope is not properly attached to the pole. The man on the tightrope has no idea he is in danger.
3) Before the performance, the stage manager tells the actors to break a leg.
4) Because of so much inclement weather during the school year, Carteret County decides to have a make-up day on a Saturday. However, it snows and the make-up day is canceled.
5) A man has lost his job and can’t pay his bills. He receives a late notice that states because of his inability to pay on time, he will have to pay penalty fees.
6) Before the housekeeper arrives, I have to clean up the house.
7) A mom spanks her child for hitting her brother.
8) Mother comes into the TV room and discovers her 11-year-old watching South Park instead of doing his homework, as he was set to a dozen minutes ago. Pointing to the screen she says, "Don't let me tempt you from your duties, kiddo, but when you're finished with your serious studies there, maybe we could take some time out for recreation and do a little math."
9) A doctor is called back to the hospital for an emergency. On the way to the hospital, she is hit by another motorist.
10) The score is tied 20-20. Randy is on the line to shoot 2 free throws. He is so nervous that he misses both shots. A teammate whispers, “Way to go, Randy.”