10 Tips For Candidates Working With Recruiters

1,263 views
1,186 views

Published on

How to make recruitment work for you.

Published in: Career, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,263
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
11
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
20
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

10 Tips For Candidates Working With Recruiters

  1. 1. TOP 10 TIPS For Candidates Working with Recruiters
  2. 2. 1: RECRUITERS ARE PAID TO FILL A JOB <ul><li>Not to find you a job </li></ul><ul><li>Try not to take it personally but do understand this is how they make a living </li></ul><ul><li>One line requests “ find us a job guv ” will fall on deaf ears </li></ul>
  3. 3. 2: STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD <ul><li>Are you a quality candidate?  </li></ul><ul><li>Recruiters love to place quality candidates with good companies. </li></ul><ul><li>How do you stand out from the crowd? </li></ul>
  4. 4. 3: BUILDING STRONG RELATIONSHIPS <ul><li>Build a strong relationship with your recruiter </li></ul><ul><li>If a recruiter has information about an interview for you or the next steps they WILL call/email you </li></ul><ul><li>More than that detracts from the recruiter doing their job…getting you the interview </li></ul><ul><li>Recruiters don’t get paid for failure </li></ul>
  5. 5. 4: KEYS TO HIDDEN JOBS <ul><li>Recruiters often hold key information about positions, companies hiring and specific hurdles hiring managers put in front of candidates </li></ul><ul><li>Make yourself the star candidate and recruiters are always willing to share that information </li></ul>
  6. 6. 5: PREPARATION <ul><li>Success in job hunting is 80% preparation and 20% presentation </li></ul><ul><li>If you want to be “a winner” & not “a possible” then put in the work </li></ul><ul><li>Does your resume really present you well? </li></ul><ul><li>Do you have a plan on how you are going to be successful? </li></ul><ul><li>Know the market, the competitors and industry news. </li></ul><ul><li>Where’s that video – all about you? </li></ul><ul><li>You do 80% of the work & the recruiter does the other 20% with you at the next stage  - It’s a team game </li></ul>
  7. 7. 6: Q & A WITH THE RECRUITER <ul><li>This should really go both ways, but understand the recruiter is trying to qualify you IN, not knock you out of consideration for this position   </li></ul><ul><li>They need to know specifics and will ask hard questions </li></ul><ul><li>Just be truthful and responsive </li></ul>
  8. 8. 7: COMPENSATION <ul><li>This is the reason we all work </li></ul><ul><li>Empower your recruiter as your talent agent </li></ul><ul><li>They get a piece of the action because they put you in the job in the first place </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t be shy, but be realistic </li></ul>
  9. 9. 8: NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY <ul><li>Some recruiters are trying to do the job of 4 people </li></ul><ul><li>You are looking for one job and look how time consuming that can be </li></ul><ul><li>Imagine trying to fill 30 spots, all in the next 48 hours… </li></ul><ul><li>Let them do what they do best, getting you an interview/job </li></ul>
  10. 10. 9: BE NICE – BE PROFESSIONAL <ul><li>Moving to a new job or career can be stressful, we get it. Just don’t make your recruiter your shrink </li></ul><ul><li>Be sure to communicate clearly with your recruiter what the most important criteria are for you to make a move </li></ul><ul><li>Nothing is more frustrating to a recruiter than doing all the work required to get you the offer to have you then so no </li></ul><ul><li>Once bitten, twice shy. If you are asked for information provide it professionally, promptly and free of errors. It’s your future </li></ul>
  11. 11. 10: PAY IT FORWARD <ul><li>Do you want to be foremost in the mind of a recruiter? – help them with a referral </li></ul><ul><li>What goes around comes around </li></ul><ul><li>I’ll personally go out of my way for someone that has already gone out of their way to help me </li></ul><ul><li>We are all human at the end of the day - even Recruitment Agents </li></ul>

×