SEO is just one tool
• Pay Per Click
• Social Media
• Affiliate marketing
There are lots of internet marketing techniques
Is SEO right for your business?
• It depends on two different things
– How many people search for your keywords?
– How many other businesses are competing for
• You can get answers to both with the Google
Don’t like what you see
• Look for synonyms (attorney vs lawyer)
• Narrow it down
– Where do you do it? (City/State)
– When do you do it? (24 hours)
– How do you do it? (Delivery/while you wait/etc)
– Who for? (Kid-Friendly/Small Business/etc)
Then do a sanity check
• Google “intitle:keywords” How many pages are
dedicated to that keyword?
• Google the keywords (without “intitle”)
• What is the competition?
– Big Brands/National Competition
– Single blog posts vs homepages
– Spammy pages
– How optimized are the ranked pages?
Two things that affect your rank
• Everything that you can
affect by yourself on your
• Easy to improve
• Only table stakes
• Done wrong usually means
you will have a tough time
• Done right usually just gets
you in the game
• Mainly comes down to the
links that people point to
your site from other pages
• Depending on industry,
creativity, and hustle – can
be very difficult
• Done wrong means you are
• Done right it can blow your
Components of On-Page Optimization
• Keyword mentions
• Title Tag
• Meta Description
• Header tags
• Alt tags
Woorank.com is a free way to find big issues
• You have to get good quality links!
• Directories – google for them
– Georgetown business directory
– Industry directories and professional associations
• Local business listing sites
• Chamber of Commerce/Better Business
A little more advanced
• Competitor backlinks
• Outreach to bloggers and webmasters
• Creating content that will naturally attract
• Things to be careful of
– Link Networks
– Reciprocal links
Can you hire someone to do it?
• Professional SEO can be a shady business
• Don’t let them charge too much for on-page
• Ask them how they plan to build links
– Many use reciprocal links and link networks
– Do they plan to create new content for you?
• LinkedIn -
• Don’t be afraid to endorse me for SEO
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.