There are no formulas for designing an advertising
campaign. An old saying states: “To obtain a result that is
100% good, there must be 10% inspiration and 90% effort.”
Rational, Emotional, and Instinctive
The purpose of advertising is to influence
people’s conduct = persuade
• Provides arguments consumers can evaluate
• It is based on feelings and wishes.
• Links its proposal to natural impulses
The Creative Briefing
• Document that
contains the key
information to define
• It is based on:
– The information provided
by the advertiser (brief).
– The research conducted by
the advertising agency.
• It must contain:
– Key product characteristics,
brand personality, target
Parts of the Creative Briefing
1. General information
– Client, date, campaign, brand, budget, media
2. Target audience
– Definition (who they are), habits, lifestyles
– Current positioning and sought positioning
4. Promise or benefit
– What the product offers
Parts of the Creative Briefing (cont.)
5. Argument of the promise
– Reasoning that supports the promised benefit
6. Communication tone
– Rational, emotional, or intuitive?
7. Axis of the campaign
– Definition of product based on promised benefit.
8. Concept of the campaign
– How will the product benefits be communicated
to the audience?
• The core messageWhat to say?
• The way to transmit itHow to say it?
• The target audienceWhom to say it to?
• The moment for the audience to see, read, or
listen to the messageWhen to say it?
• The means through which the audience will
receive the messageWhere to say it?
Concept and Idea
• The contribution of
advertising to a brand is
measured by its
capacity to associate
value to the product.
• The aim is to choose
concept upon which
the message will be
• Choose the value or
feature that will
distinguish the product.
The slogan is one of the
elements of advertising.
It is a word or phrase
referred to the product
The function of any
slogan is to appeal and
summarize, that is:
•Capture the attention and prompt
to read, listen, or watch the rest of
•Generate an association between
the brand and its main advantage.
It is producing the
will be disseminated
through the chosen
•Structure, size, position,
and repetition of
•Characters, images, texts,
effects, music, etc.