Power point Umar's Undergraduate Thesis (Unrevised)
Final Examination of Undergraduate ThesisBy: Muhamad Umar ChatabNIM: 2070 26000 605English Letters Department (Non- Regular)2012
1. Interpreting deals with spoken/oral words.Meanwhile, translation deals with written/recordedwords. 2. Interpreting is combination of listening, thinking,and speaking activity to enable communication withinthree parties. (SL speaker, interpreter, andaudiences). From SL into TL. 3. Interpreting is conducted here and now, live, andon the spot. 4. Interpreting denotes to someone who can explainthe meaning verbally from SL, and making clearlysense to TL of what others have difficulty forunderstanding it.
1. Interpreter is someone whose job is to changewhat someone else is saying from SL into TL orally. 2. Interpreter’s job is listening of SL speaker message(A), then speaking it to TL listeners (B). Meanwhile,translator’s job is reading SL text message (A), andwriting it into another of TL/ text message (B). 3. An interpreter is required to have public speakingskill ability and competency on bilingualism.Meanwhile, to be a translator needs good editing skilland well writing ability.
1. Consecutive Interpreting is a sub-type/a special modeof Interpreting. 2. Consecutive Interpreting is conduction of listening,understanding, and speaking activity to grasp utterances aSL speaker, and re-speech message into TL listeners witha different language. 3. Practically for example, a SL Speaker speaks at leastwith an understandable passage for 1 or 2 minutes, then,an interpreter interprets it into TL listeners with a differentlanguage. 4.What have to be interpreted are not just words.Moreover, main ideas, messages, and informationalcontents have to be interpreted to achieve total accuracy.
1. As a memorizer for interpreter when she/he loss ofinformational content that is speeches by SL speaker. 2. As the second helpful tool for interpreter to rendermessage beside his/her memory as the primary tooleither. 3. Note taking improve concentration, preventdistraction, facilitating the reception and analysis ofthe speech. 4. Note taking relieve the interpreter’s memory forremembering every point in the speech of SL speaker.
5. Note taking is useful for activating thememory of interpreter with cues or signalsthat information raises in the speech by SLspeaker. 6. Last, note taking can also be used torememorize highlight missing details,inconsistencies and implausibility of SLspeech that needs attention by interpreter tobe revised verbally later.
Tablighi Jama’at (TJ) is one of trans-national Islamicsect ideology who born in India, in early 20th century. The Tablighi Jama’at founding father was SheikMaulana Ilyas Al-Kandahlawi. The mission of this community to spread da’wah orIslamic preaching to entire world. Especially, forMoslems only. Their main mission is to send many Moslemsjama’at/community whether in local, national andinternational areas through its program: 3 days, 40days, and 4 months or more.
In the matter of fact, Tablighi Jama’at fromoverseas gives Islamic preaching with their ownunderstanding language in Indonesian people byusing: English (with various dialects), Urdu, Hindi,Arab, Bengali, etc. Therefore, the service ofinterpreters are very needed to help them forcommunicating with laymen local audiences whodo not understand foreign languages and viceversa. The sub-type interpreter service that usuallyneeds for succeeding Tablighi Jama’at’s missionis Consecutive Interpreter.
1. Some of Tablighi Jama’at’s interpreters are notfluently speaking English, andunpracticed/untrained to be a consecutiveinterpreter. Even they do not know whatinterpreting and interpreter mean. However,many Tablighi Jama’at SL speakers speak somewords and sentences with Arabic, Hindi or Urdumixed with English as the main speech. Thisseems to be a complicated problem forinterpreter to render message into audiences.Especially , newbie interpreters who do notunderstand Arabic words and nor recite Qur’anwell.
2. No one of Tablighi Jama’at’s interpreter uses notetaking as far as my observation toward them. This factbecause:◦ A. Tablighi Jama’at’s interpreters exclude the importanttool of note taking.◦ B. Using note taking is sign a weakness of TablighiJama’at’s interpreters toward audiences/listeners.◦ C. Using note taking is an act of low self confidence anddistrust to God’s power during interpreting process.◦ D. Note taking technique is not common and bizarre onTablighi Jama’at’s interpreting.
1. Mosque of Kebon Jeruk in Jakarta, as the mainheadquarter of Tablighi Jama’at in Indonesia,needs to provide qualified interpreters who justnot mastering English fluently, but they needeither to be trained for mastering Arabic wordsfor general, because the mission of interpretingon Tablighi Jama’at’s preaching is alwaysconcerned about da’wah and Islamic matters. 2. The usage of note taking for Tablighi Jama’atinterpreters need to be enlivened for helpingthem in consecutive interpreting process.