iCow: first mobile phone cow calendar
iCow is an SMS and voice-based mobile phone
application for small-scale dairy farmers in Kenya.
It functions as a virtual veterinary midwife,
helping farmers track the estrus stages of their
Gives farmers valuable tips on cow breeding,
animal nutrition, milk production efficiency and
iCow aims to reduce cow mortality rates, produce
healthier and more robust calves and ultimately
provide improved financial returns for the
This app, offers real-time market prices for
crops, matching kenyan farmers with
It acts as a transparency tool for kenyan
allows farmers to get information about
the retail price of their products,
buy their farm inputs directly from
manufacturers at favorable prices,
and find buyers for their produce.
It allows remote farmers to plug into
market updates and as a result keep up
with the competition.
This is a fully automated app
It offers instant loans to workers at a fee via
their mobile phones
It targets employees on a full-time basis
registered for the service and offers a small
emagency loan ranging from (US$58 to
US$350) depending on pay-scale.
Users can access loans anytime anywhere
without the necessity of having to wait for
advance approvals or having to visit a
financial institution to request for
Africa Travel Guide
• The Africa Travel Guide Offline for phones or
tablet) provides comprehensive information
on over 1,000 destinations.
• No internet connection is required as all the
data is stored within the app.
• Thus no matter where you are in Africa you
can access it in the most remote places and
avoid expensive roaming charges.
• It allows users to explore all the major
• This app is very similar to
• It is a social location app which
allows users to discover new
locations and connect up with
• It also acts as a loyalty program by
rewarding users who visit certain
locations, retailers, and
restaurants, spend money and
share these locations with their
• Users scan their phone’s address
book to automatically detect when
friends have joined NikoHapa and
connect with them seamlessly.
• There are millions of people especially
across Sudan, Somalia, the DRC and North
Africa, that have been separated from
family and friends due to conflict or
disaster and are desperately looking for
• Refugees United is an organization with an
important mission to reconnect refugees
with their families, wherever they might
• Their app known as ‘Refugees United ’
allows users to search for lost family or
friends in the NGO’s database.
• Olalashe is a location- aware distress
alerting mobile application.
• With a push of a button, users in trouble
can send a preset SMS or Email alert.
• The alert includes their location and is sent
to all emergency contacts on the users
• The app won first price in the Social
category of the 2011 Android Developer
Challenge for Sub Saharan Africa.
• This app helps users diagnose symptoms and
providing directories of doctors and hospitals
• it aims to revolutionize how people in
developing areas access and use health
• It is set up as a sustainable buisness rather
than on a charity model.
• It brings basic information about health and
medicine to all types of phones and enables
them to the information on their own.
• In a country like Kenya, where on average 14
physicians must serve around 100,000 people.
A self-serve information could be vital in
improving national health and wellbeing.
• Stands for Mobile Alliance for Maternal
• It’s a program that works with low-income
and at-risk mothers and families in
countries with high population of mobile
• Provides vital health information through
SMS text messaging and simple voice
• Provides pregnant women and new mothers
with targeted health information and care
tips using SMS and voice calls.
• This is an award-winning mobile money
• It was first launched Safaricom (Kenyan
mobile network operator)
• It grew quickly capturing 6.5 million
subscribers by May 2009 and 17 million
subscribers by December 2011 with over 2
million daily transactions in Kenya alone.
• The service has since expended to
Uganda, Tanzania, south
Africa, Afghanistan, India and Egypt.
• It had been recognized worldwide including
4 GSMA awards, 2011 Mobile Money Award
winner and UN-Habitat winner.
• Visit the M-Pesa
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.